Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Older articles that bring up some good points

Things that are going to ruin Alien: Covenant - http://www.looper.com/7328/things-go...lien-covenant/

Is Ridley Scott making up Alien: Covenant as he goes along? - https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...lming-troubles
Old 03-05-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Older articles that bring up some good points

Things that are going to ruin Alien: Covenant - http://www.looper.com/7328/things-go...lien-covenant/

Is Ridley Scott making up Alien: Covenant as he goes along? - https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...lming-troubles
The Guardian article more or less confirms what I have been thinking. Sounds like Scott has fallen into the same mindset he did after test screenings of "Legend" went poorly and he recut it with a different score and pacing for US audiences. It's a shame that instead of taking this opportunity to make a Prometheus sequel that could fix some problems with the first, he decided to churn out just another Alien movie. The approach of trying to revitalize a franchise by giving it back to the original director has been tried before (Wes Craven's New Nightmare comes to mind) and it seldom works.
Old 03-05-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The Guardian article more or less confirms what I have been thinking. Sounds like Scott has fallen into the same mindset he did after test screenings of "Legend" went poorly and he recut it with a different score and pacing for US audiences. It's a shame that instead of taking this opportunity to make a Prometheus sequel that could fix some problems with the first, he decided to churn out just another Alien movie. The approach of trying to revitalize a franchise by giving it back to the original director has been tried before (Wes Craven's New Nightmare comes to mind) and it seldom works.
New Nightmare was really well received by critics and fans though. It was everyone else who didn't give a shit.
Old 03-05-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

It's a shame that instead of taking this opportunity to make a Prometheus sequel that could fix some problems with the first, he decided to churn out just another Alien movie.
I don't think it's his choice on what approach to take. It sounds like the studio/producers are in charge and since Prometheus didn't perform as they expected, they think the reason was because there were no xenomorphs. Whoever was in charge of putting the proto-xenomorph at the end of Prometheus didn't seem to have too much faith in having it be it's own thing. It felt tacked on, like they couldn't decide if it was going to be a unique film that just happens to be set in the ALIENS universe, or an actual prequel to ALIEN.

Originally Posted by robin2099
New Nightmare was really well received by critics and fans though. It was everyone else who didn't give a shit.
I'm surprised it was so well received by critics. Yeah, it was better than NOES 4-6 but it wasn't really scary. New Freddy design=awesome. It's supposed to be a film set in the "real" world but they picked one of the more recognized child actors to be the real-life son of Heather Langenkamp.
I didn't even know it was suppose to be a reboot of the franchise.
Old 03-05-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie

I'm surprised it was so well received by critics. Yeah, it was better than NOES 4-6 but it wasn't really scary. New Freddy design=awesome. It's supposed to be a film set in the "real" world but they picked one of the more recognized child actors to be the real-life son of Heather Langenkamp.
I didn't even know it was suppose to be a reboot of the franchise.
I didn't know he was a recognized child actor, but then again I never really followed child actors. I'm also aware New Nightmare was well received by critics and fans, it just still didn't work as an attempted reboot by the original creators. I heard that John Carpenter was offered H20 but turned it down, glad he did so.
Old 03-06-17, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought New Nightmare was the second best movie in the franchise behind the first one.
Old 03-06-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah I really dug New Nightmare but I don't think that was a reboot, it was supposed to be a final chapter to the story.
Old 03-06-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Nightmare On Elm Street
Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
New Nightmare

That's the best trilogy out of that franchise.

#backontopic
Old 03-06-17, 10:50 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

New Nightmare is fantastic. Better than Scream.
Old 03-06-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No movie where Bob Shaye attempts to act is better than Scream.
Old 03-10-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B4Cmf4BuNgg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Introducing Walter, the latest synthetic by Weyland-Yutani. Created to serve. Intelligence powered by AMD, Ryzen and Radeon.
Old 03-10-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Wow. Walter? Is there no place in this saga that Ridley Scott will not continue to fail? The next android -- sorry, synthetic person -- should have a name starting with "E".

That is the only reason why I was stoked about Sigourney Weaver being rumored to appear in the other rumored movie. I was hoping she was revealed to be an android named Ellen.

Yeah, I'm bitching about this. (I'll have to watch the video later.)

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-11-17 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-10-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't get the significance of the name.

Oh wait. Ashe, Bishop, Call, David.... I had no idea they were purposely naming the androids in alphabetical order.
Old 03-10-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I don't get the significance of the name.

Oh wait. Ashe, Bishop, Call, David.... I had no idea they were purposely naming the androids in alphabetical order.

They weren't doing it intentionally. Nerds.
Old 03-10-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Turn a W on its side and it becomes an E.

Old 03-10-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Produced by David Giler & Walter Hill

Now they're really getting creative.

Last edited by inri222; 03-10-17 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, finally watched the video ... meh. It's already been done so it adds nothing. They've already layered the universe when they did the Prometheus extras (David, the Ted Talk). This is just more of the same.

That is a horribly inefficient production process for a major company.

Why give him a different name? The names are "models" not unique names for each artificial being. (I know, I know, that and the dark hair are to make sure we know he is a different character than the one in Prometheus. So why not use a different actor?)

The naming convention -- I don't know for a fact if it was purposeful or not. If not, it was one hell of a coincidence that spread over 30+ years. Ellen was a wonderful opportunity squandered. If it is a producer thing as inri said, I guess that is fitting of their egos.

Turn it on it's side -- Ridley already has been doing this to the franchise. Why not. Maybe that was the significance of the "8" in the video ... a sideways infinity symbol.
Old 03-11-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The website promotes Walter's features, including behavioral prediction to help you avoid trouble.

I couldn't reserve my Walter because I don't have Facebook.
Old 03-12-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Walter comes with a built in obsession of Vietnam?

That video looked like it could double as a promo for Westworld. I think it would be cool if at some point it's revealed that the earth of that series is the same one as Blade Runner and most likely the Alien universe. It would all make sense.
Old 03-12-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

Saw the trailer today in front of Logan and got a good chuckle out of the old guy behind us saying "just let it go" when the title came up at the end. I have to agree with him. Looks worse than Prometheus and you would have to try really hard to make something worse than that.
Old 03-12-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by stvn1974
"just let it go"
I wish they would. Ridley Scott has lost it, he's pushing 80 and he just recently told an Australian newspaper that he has six more Alien films in him. Just keep shitting on you legacy for a buck.
Old 03-12-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Not understanding Scott's approach here either (didn't realize he's 79!)... this whole religious/origins of life storyline is not what I want from Alien movies...not to mention the origins of the Alien itself. I wanted one movie about the ship from the first Alien, the alien captain and how the eggs were there...that's it. We're two movies in and we're not even close....
Old 03-14-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Not understanding Scott's approach here either (didn't realize he's 79!)... this whole religious/origins of life storyline is not what I want from Alien movies...not to mention the origins of the Alien itself. I wanted one movie about the ship from the first Alien, the alien captain and how the eggs were there...that's it. We're two movies in and we're not even close....
Nope, six more movies before you finally get to see that one dude!!!

Seriously, there's now way he's going to last long enough to do those. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we hear of the franchise for a while given what I've been reading about Covenant.
Old 03-14-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman
I wouldn't have even minded the religious origins of life angle IF IT HAD BEEN GOOD! I would have liked an intelligent and thought provoking story line. Instead we got Ridley telling us it was an intelligent and thought provoking story line but delivering a stupid unintelligible mess.

Unfortunately Artman, while responses like yours are not incorrect, they seem to have sent Ridley 180 degrees in the other direction. At least with Covenant the trailers are already conveying that it is stupid ass slasher shit.
Old 03-14-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, six more movies before you finally get to see that one dude!!!

Seriously, there's now way he's going to last long enough to do those. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last we hear of the franchise for a while given what I've been reading about Covenant.
Enough with this nuclear arms proliferation ... Jim Cameron just saw Ridley's proclamation and raised him 13 more Avatar films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.