Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Need For Speed (Waugh, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Need For Speed (Waugh, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
0%
0%
7.69%
15.38%
30.77%
23.08%
0%
7.69%
7.69%
0%
0%
Need For Tylenol
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 03:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Need For Speed" (Starring: Aaron Paul, Dominic Cooper, Imogen Poots, Scott Mescudi, Michael Keaton

Release Date:
3/14/14

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of reckless street racing, disturbing crash scenes, nudity and crude language throughout.)

Running Time:
130m. (2h. 10m.)

Budget:
$66 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Fresh from prison, a street racer who was framed by a wealthy business associate joins a cross country race with revenge in mind. His ex-partner, learning of the plan, places a massive bounty on his head as the race begins.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.5 (2,047 votes as of 3/9/14

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:16 Rotten:51 (24% as of 3/13/14)

Metacritic:
36 metascore ('Generally unfavorable reviews' as of 3/13/14)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://v.traileraddict.com/83428" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:
Old 03-13-14, 04:20 PM

Re: Need For Speed (Waugh, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

yikes!
Old 03-13-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
yikes!
Is it not good or what? I'm curious to see it mostly because of Aaron Paul, I do know he's capable of better films though so hopefully he does more higher quality pictures. Smashed was quite good.
Old 03-13-14, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
Is it not good or what? I'm curious to see it mostly because of Aaron Paul, I do know he's capable of better films though so hopefully he does more higher quality pictures. Smashed was quite good.
just my reaction to the reviews thus far...

i like Paul too and have Smashed on Blu, but yucky.
Old 03-13-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the embargo is over, I saw this about a month ago and thought it was a decent fast-paced movie. Cars and racing aren't my thing, and I've never seen Breaking Bad. That being said, it's about friendship and revenge with like 70% of the movie taking place in cars. The director is a former stunt driver and there is no CGI for any of the racing scenes, so that was cool to know after. No need for 3D at all. I'd give it a B, never boring and some good jokes. 2 hours and 10 min.
Old 03-13-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

How is Vin Diesel in this? And how did they deal with Paul Walker dying?
Old 03-14-14, 12:30 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just came back from the first showing, it's bad. Story, cast, acting, even the car stunts are all really bad. I know this sounds like thread crapping but check my post history, I don't do that. I debated a several time during the film whether to walk out or not, it's that bad. It's like they couldn't figure out whether to sell this film on the story or the car chase so it ended up both are just horseshit. The story line was so one dimensional, you can pretty much tell after 15 mins into the film.

- If you want us to believe how good the car you just made, you need to show us at least a quick montage on how much work it was put in. The mustang with apparently just an engine showed up with barely a second on screen and in the next scene the car is not only fully built but it can go to 234 mph.
- A car design that's used for the general public would have so much drag that there is no way that it could have gone to 234 mph.
- Later, when Toby was sent to prison for 2 years, he got paroled in the very next scene, what the hell was that?
- Worse yet, the very next thing he did once he got out was to get behind a car so he can race again. Time well spent, Toby!!
- If the name Anita was made as a part of series of name joke, then you should know "Anita, I need a car." should also be taken as a joke. It was said in the middle of a serious scene. Are we suppose to take Toby seriously or is he trying to be funny? How does nobody in the production notice this?
- If the prize for this final car race is winner takes all the car, then why would you have the story line literally destroy all 7 cars?
- And the way Toby got back at Dino was a punch in the head? Why couldn't you do that in the hotel?
- I get the story line is bad and completely doesn't make sense because this is a film that sell car chase, but god damn make the car chase hot at least. All car chase scenes are like as if they're only doing 60 tops.
- If you're locked in a military jail, there is no way in hell the guard will not only provide a ipad for your entertainment, but also hold it for you while you watch. What the fuck is that?
- If your car is fish-tailing, it means you don't know how to drive shit. This film has a lot to learn from fast and furious. Stay away!! Stay far away!!
Old 03-14-14, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toby? Toby? Who the fuck is Toby?
Old 03-14-14, 10:03 AM
Suspended

What a stupid name for a cricket?
Old 03-14-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
How is Vin Diesel in this? And how did they deal with Paul Walker dying?
Old 03-14-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a videogame adaptation, this was surprisingly decent, though the storyline on its own is middle of the road. The cast, however, does a good job selling their scenes with humor and emotion; especially the two leads, Aaron Paul and Imogen Poots.

But the supercars and the stunt driving are the real stars of the film. With the 100% practical approach (and no CG-manipulated racing), that also means the level of insanity of the set piece sequences is toned down from the competition (namely, the Fast and Furious films). But it's still a refreshing change of pace nonetheless.

3.5 out of 5.

My full review can be found here.
Old 03-14-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it. This needed some script doctoring in a major way, as the plot holes pretty much punch you in the face. That said, I was thoroughly entertained. The acting was decent, and the stunts were top notch. I loved not seeing a bunch of CG stuff all over the place. Reminded me a lot of the type of movies I would go see in the mid to late 80s with friends at the local small town movie theater. The kind you thought were awesome because you had no idea what constituted good cinema and there was nothing better to do in town during the day. Shame Imogen Poots doesn't change her last name. She's a decent actress and cute as well. I would imagine it's hard to become a star when your last name is synonymous with flatulence.

I was convinced of one thing after seeing this: Michael Keaton would have no problem sliding back into the role of Beetlejuice after more than 20 years.
Old 03-14-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Saw it. This needed some script doctoring in a major way, as the plot holes pretty much punch you in the face. That said, I was thoroughly entertained. The acting was decent, and the stunts were top notch. I loved not seeing a bunch of CG stuff all over the place. Reminded me a lot of the type of movies I would go see in the mid to late 80s with friends at the local small town movie theater. The kind you thought were awesome because you had no idea what constituted good cinema and there was nothing better to do in town during the day. Shame Imogen Poots doesn't change her last name. She's a decent actress and cute as well. I would imagine it's hard to become a star when your last name is synonymous with flatulence.

I was convinced of one thing after seeing this: Michael Keaton would have no problem sliding back into the role of Beetlejuice after more than 20 years.
OT a bit but your last comment made me wonder: How great would Keaton be as Raoul Duke/Hunter S Thompson in a flick?
Old 03-14-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

My friend says this was somewhat muddled:

Sure, there are many car chase/racing movies that stand as cult classics due to factors that extend far beyond their simplistic plotting and character development. Films like Cannonball Run or Vanishing Point are not winning awards for their screenplays, but they are praised for the action and fun to be found in the stunt work on display. As a person who is used to more recent films like The Transporter, The Bourne Identity, or the Fast & Furious franchise, I am happy to embrace fun when I see it. A lot of that comes in the form of the stunts on display and the context of the situation. The (more recent) Fast & Furious films have the benefit of ensemble casts that consist of colorful characters that are fun to hang around with and they also happen to be insanely good at driving. The problem I find with Need for Speed is how it cannot figure out what the word “fun” means.

Director Scott Waugh (Act of Valor) and his crew do a fine job of putting together car action, as the film is built up of fast-paced car racing and chasing sequences. This is the reason people want to see the film and those who are all about that may find some entertainment value in it, from that perspective. I am personally not a “car guy” so I can just be excited by the fact that it “looked cool.” With all that said, the film is strung together by plotting that bounces back and forth between taking itself deadly serious and throwing in really awkward humor. The seriousness is a side effect of having such a clichéd story that does not want to take any chances (or take responsibility for the public vehicular chaos on display). The attempt at humor is a whole other thing. Whether it is the surprising amount of male nudity for a video game film geared towards the mostly teenage, male-centric audience bound to see the film or the use of Scott “Kid Cudi” Mescudi as the one token black character that actually outdoes Not Another Teen Movie’s token black character, Need for Speed is aggressively unfunny, despite trying so hard.

http://whysoblu.com/the-need-for-speed-movie-review/
Old 03-15-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I thought it was a kickass popcorn flick and loved that their was no CGI for the racing scenes.

I wasn't expecting F&F or Ocean's 11, but enjoyed the racing which reminded somewhat of the Wraith with Charlie Sheen.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 03-15-14 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-15-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
Just came back from the first showing, it's bad. Story, cast, acting, even the car stunts are all really bad. I know this sounds like thread crapping but check my post history, I don't do that. I debated a several time during the film whether to walk out or not, it's that bad. It's like they couldn't figure out whether to sell this film on the story or the car chase so it ended up both are just horseshit. The story line was so one dimensional, you can pretty much tell after 15 mins into the film.

- If you want us to believe how good the car you just made, you need to show us at least a quick montage on how much work it was put in. The mustang with apparently just an engine showed up with barely a second on screen and in the next scene the car is not only fully built but it can go to 234 mph.
- A car design that's used for the general public would have so much drag that there is no way that it could have gone to 234 mph.
- Later, when Toby was sent to prison for 2 years, he got paroled in the very next scene, what the hell was that?
- Worse yet, the very next thing he did once he got out was to get behind a car so he can race again. Time well spent, Toby!!
- If the name Anita was made as a part of series of name joke, then you should know "Anita, I need a car." should also be taken as a joke. It was said in the middle of a serious scene. Are we suppose to take Toby seriously or is he trying to be funny? How does nobody in the production notice this?
- If the prize for this final car race is winner takes all the car, then why would you have the story line literally destroy all 7 cars?
- And the way Toby got back at Dino was a punch in the head? Why couldn't you do that in the hotel?
- I get the story line is bad and completely doesn't make sense because this is a film that sell car chase, but god damn make the car chase hot at least. All car chase scenes are like as if they're only doing 60 tops.
- If you're locked in a military jail, there is no way in hell the guard will not only provide a ipad for your entertainment, but also hold it for you while you watch. What the fuck is that?
- If your car is fish-tailing, it means you don't know how to drive shit. This film has a lot to learn from fast and furious. Stay away!! Stay far away!!

Spoiler:
Spoiler Tags are your friend
Old 03-15-14, 03:02 AM
Suspended

I just can't get past the clip they keep playing of the helicopter lifting a car over the Grand Canyons. I just can't pay money for that.
Old 03-15-14, 06:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Spoiler:
Spoiler Tags are your friend
Spoiler:
Review thread don't need spoiler tag. If you don't event bother educate yourself with the rules, OP told you where to go with pre-release discussion.
Old 03-15-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah they do.
Old 03-16-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously, the main draw for this film is exotic cars going really fast, and not always at lawful speeds on the roads. The framework plot was serviceable, though predictable, but with enough funny bits to keep the film moving. Aaron Paul continues his streak of being a good cryer, and brought enough charisma to the role of Tobey. At least the film doesn't skimp on the consequences side of such driving exploits with these awesomely fast cars.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 03-17-14, 09:39 AM
Cool New Member

does it have any connection to the video games?
Old 03-17-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This looks terrible, but the cars look so pretty....
Old 03-27-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My thoughts...

1. Will there ever be a great video game adaptation?

The other day, I read on a film blog that Splinter Cell finally grabbed a director (Doug Liman) and lead (Tom Hardy), which gives me hope...but it's really a mind bender that there hasn't ever been a great movie based on a video game. I mean, some video games have incredible stories and cinematic element, and somehow they just don't transfer well on film. Now, just reading months back that there would be a Need for Speed film made me roll my eyes, and I wasn't looking at this movie as the 'great hope' for video game to film greatness, but I was hoping that whoever wrote Need for Speed wouldn't treat it's audience like complete morons.

2. Aaron Paul elevates whatever material he's given.

If I'm being honest (along with my wife, and probably thousands of others who shelled out their hard earned cash to see Need for Speed), the only reason I went to see this was because of Aaron Paul. His turn as Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad was one of the most gut wrenching, heart pulling performances of all time, and any time I have the opportunity to see him do his thing on screen, I'm going to be there. He was trying so hard with the material here, and despite the utter crap he's got to say on screen, he still manages to pull it off. I have to tip my cap to Aaron Paul. Such a talented actor.

3. They let you play with iPads in military prison.

If there's one thing I learned from Need for Speed, it's that they have spare laptops laying around in hospitals and iPads in the brig. At one point, a character is in a MILITARY PRISON, and casually asks a female guard (who clearly isn't interested) for an iPad to follow his buddy during an illegal race on what must be a cleverly designed app (found easily on the App store, I'm sure) - either that or it's just a website that anyone could hop onto and follow the race (paying attention, cops?). So what does she do? She grabs an iPad from the ol' Army surplus of iPads and connects to the Wi-Fi (again, in military jail) so that he can fist pump while his friend blows through traffic.

4. The racing scenes were awesome.

The plot was so dumb, and makes absolutely no sense. However, if you're going to see Need for Speed, you're really going for two reasons - Aaron Paul and the car chases, and let me tell you...the racing scenes delivered. The roar of the engine, the skidding of tires, the exotic cars, they all looked beautiful. They were shot amazingly and the lack of CGI really showed. There was a great amount of effort into making the car scenes as cool as they were, and it paid off. And that Mustang...that Mustang...it really made me miss mine.

5. This plot was so dumb, and makes absolutely no sense.

Yeah, this is a car movie, but it's still a movie, right? Up until our hero gets out of prison, I was with this plot. Sure, the dialogue was hokey, and everyone on Aaron Paul's racing team came across as if they wanted to date him, but I was with it. Then, it went completely off the rails. When he gets out of prison, his plan is to enter this super secret race to get revenge against Dominic Cooper's villain character. Exactly how though? At this point, he doesn't even know if Cooper is in said race (and actually, he wasn't at that point). Somewhere in there, the villain also enters the race, because he runs a failing auto dealership and needs a few more cars? Also, can we address the fact that Kid Cudi plays a pilot who can fly anything...and does? He randomly shows up in planes, news helicopters and at one point, an Apache, like he calmly goes to a rent-a-whateveryouneedforthisscene, and there he is, in the sky without difficulty. Or Michael Keaton's character, who apparently puts this race on every year, who just broadcasts everything from his living room and is never caught...because...why? This script really goes the extra 3,000 miles to insult the audience with stupidity.

If you're looking for a movie where you need to check your brain at the door...or completely chuck it out of a McLaren going 200mph, this is the movie for you. My suggestion? Wait until it hits Netflix and fast forward through the garbage that isn't car racing.
Old 03-27-14, 11:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I just can't get past the clip they keep playing of the helicopter lifting a car over the Grand Canyons. I just can't pay money for that.
yet it's the only scene that looked really cool - in 3D - looking right down in the ravine... whah !!
Old 09-03-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I red boxed this over the weekend and am quite glad that Amazing Spiderman 2 will have some company in the worst movies of the year category. Man, was this movie awful. Aaron Paul a great actor? Ha! I guess if you call injecting some bass in his voice and speaking in a much calmer fashion is "great acting" then yeah, he was really good. He wasn't. I always did think he was the worst part of Breaking Bad.

Also, why the fuck is Need For Speed 2 hours and 10 minutes? Are you kidding me?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.