Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RoboCop (Padilha, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: RoboCop (Padilha, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
2.22%
8.89%
20.00%
24.44%
17.78%
15.56%
8.89%
0%
0%
0%
0%
OCPissonthegraveoftheVerhoevenclassic
2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-14, 02:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"RoboCop" (Starring: Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Abbie Cornish, Michael Keaton

Release Date:
2/12/14

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of action including frenetic gun violence throughout, brief strong language, sensuality and some drug material throughout.)

Running Time:
118m. (1h. 58m.)

Budget:
$100 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
In RoboCop, the year is 2028 and multinational conglomerate OmniCorp is at the center of robot technology. Overseas, their drones have been used by the military for years - and it's meant billions for OmniCorp's bottom line. Now OmniCorp wants to bring their controversial technology to the home front, and they see a golden opportunity to do it. When Alex Murphy (Joel Kinnaman) - a loving husband, father and good cop doing his best to stem the tide of crime and corruption in Detroit - is critically injured in the line of duty, OmniCorp sees their chance for a part-man, part-robot police officer. OmniCorp envisions a RoboCop in every city and even more billions for their shareholders, but they never counted on one thing: there is still a man inside the machine pursuing justice.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.7 (9,140 votes as of 2/12/14

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:56 Rotten:59 (48% as of 2/12/14)

Metacritic:
53 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 2/12/14)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UuVphAuRo7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poster Art:
Old 02-12-14, 05:55 AM

Re: RoboCop (Padilha, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

bump for release.
Old 02-12-14, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OldBoy - where is that poster art from? - looks pretty cool
Old 02-12-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

This one seems pretty review proof. Ether you want to see it or you don't.
Old 02-12-14, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by achau9598
OldBoy - where is that poster art from? - looks pretty cool
I honestly don't know. I just use a google search and go with the one that looks the coolest.
Old 02-12-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ok ... I would say that it was better than I expected ... and overall I though it was an ok film. there are some parts that I thought expanded better on the original such as
Spoiler:
how much of Murphy was saved

One thing that kind of threw me was a plot issue, so for those that have seen it ...

Spoiler:
how did Murphy connect the Omnicorp brass to his murder?
I mean, I got the
Spoiler:
police corruption
but I didn't catch any other link

The effects were fine, and I liked the reason for why the human in the suit, and the emotional connection that they originally wanted, but then were against. I also liked the use of the original theme music. (The music during the fight scene didn't bother me, as it was explained as to why it was there).

The black suit was cool looking - and made sense in a SWAT-kinda way. And the scene with the
Spoiler:
blackout shootout
was certainly made better because of it.

I would like to see what was forced by the studio - either by changes to the script or cuts - because it really wasn't the train wreck I expected going in.

3.5/5
Old 02-12-14, 01:02 PM
Suspended

I'm afraid I'm going to be on the negative asshole end of the AICN spectrum on this one. Here's the thing, RebootCop is not awful it just comes across as the homogenized, less interesting version of the movie we already know. It feels like they made character and world-building choices here that were considered and rejected the first time around. “Wouldn't it be interesting if after the accident Alex Murphy is still exactly himself, but flips back and forth between mindless robot cop and the passionate officer he was before? Hrmm... maybe it's better if he has... you know... a character arc. We'll start him as a machine and then slowly reintroduce his humanity. Yeah, that's the way to go!”

It doesn't help that they PG-13-ified all the violence (RoboCop's gun now fires electricity shots so he can taze some bros instead of splatter them) and restricted the satire to an unsubtle jab at America's drone program and the crazy 24 hour news cycle. In place of that fun stuff is a confusing Star Wars prequel-like focus on the logistics of a governmental vote that could allow OCP to replace local police with military robots and ED-209s.

Here's the problem... This isn't shown to necessarily be a bad thing. In the original, the ED-209 was glitchy, unproven and deadly dangerous. Here, the whole opening scene in Tehran shows us the robotic sentries and ED-209s actually doing a good job pacifying the region. The issue isn't whether or not they'll glitch and shoot innocent people, it's that they won't feel bad if one of the people they shoot happens to be a teenage kid holding a knife instead of a gun.

Michael Keaton plays the OCP CEO like Steve Jobs. He's animated about his work, he believes in it. Sure, he likes money, but you can tell he feels morally justified, proud of his products. This would have worked great if they showed him doing more amoral things, but his character only seems to change when the plot needs to escalate, not because he's motivated by anything in particular. At a certain point it's just time for him to do straight up bad guy stuff.

We're also not shown why there's a need for an upgrade to law enforcement. We're told over and over again about the crime, but what we see seems to be a pretty small drug operation in a big city. We got why Detroit/Delta City was so fucked up in Verhoeven's version. Here it's just any big city. When RoboCop is introduced he has a brief montage, but we actually don't see him have any sort of broad effect. We're told that the crime rate has dropped 80% a few scenes later, but that commits the cardinal screenwriting sin of telling, not showing. He's only ever really focused on solving his own attempted murder.

That's my overall problem with the movie in a nutshell. Every decision is pulling back from the ideas and themes of Verhoeven's original film, not pushing the envelope. Think of every remake you hold up as an improvement, whether it's John Carpenter's The Thing, David Cronenberg's The Fly or Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors, and you'll find a common thread. Each one takes the story further or in the case of the famous remakes of silent films (10 Commandments, Wizard of Oz) technology brought the story to life in a way that it just couldn't be done before.

With RoboCop 2014 there's no such jump. It's the exact opposite of the remakes that work. It takes the ideas from the original and waters them down, homogenizes them to be a kind of generic big studio movie, which the original miraculously avoided being.

Now, you may say it's unfair to compare the remake to the original and that's a valid point of view, but one I don't share. I personally don't think it's fair for the studio and filmmakers to take the iconography, characters and title and then ask us to come see them play in a world we already know and like and then say we shouldn't compare it to the original. Sorry, that's just not how I work, just like I view sequels and compare them to the other movies in a franchise or compare performances from my favorite actors from film to film. That's part of being a movie geek and I can't turn that off.
Old 02-12-14, 01:03 PM
Suspended

It prob won't help the release that a lot of the east coast and midwest are under winter storm warnings the next few days.
Old 02-12-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this today as it's already out in the UK.
I gave it 4/5. Sure it's not as good the original but the updates make sense.

Only thing that annoys me is that Robocop walks it's all clunky and gears whirling but in the action scenes with the ED-209s it's all so smooth and he is flying through the air. It's so obvious CG that it's jarring.
Old 02-12-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 out of 5 for me as well. The CG work glimpsed at in the trailers worried me going in, but in the film the SFX were more or less fine (though a bit videogame-ish).

The film as a whole was above average for a remake, and it stayed true to the spirit of the original. Instead of aping the over-the-top violence of Verhoeven's film, it goes for over-the-top action, but it still takes the time to show us how vulnerable Murphy is.

The numerous (expected) calbacks to the 1987 film were great, especially the original RoboCop title theme. And though I wasn't a fan of the black robosuit at first, seeing it in the film (and how it's basically a metaphor for Murphy's humanity) made me appreciate it a little bit more.

My full review is here.
Old 02-12-14, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
The film as a whole was above average for a remake, and it stayed true to the spirit of the original.
that's all you can hope for really. sounds better than expected. wish i still had my free tix
Old 02-12-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

My friend did not like it. He gave it a 1.5 out of 5.

Here's the lead in paragraph to his review:

There is a reason why robots, cyborgs, and similar devices have gotten a lot of attention in science fiction over the years. The idea of man creating a machine and what that could mean for life is an intriguing concept that can play on both the positives and negatives of the scenario. Taking it further and creating a cyborg who is also a law enforcement officer is one way to emphasize the debate of whether it should be done. If handled properly, a story can flourish by developing those ideas, building a world around why this concept should happen and what the ramifications could be were it to actually happen. Along with many other main reasons, Robocop fails to embrace the strong ideas that could make it work, in favor of being a noisy and messy action film.

http://whysoblu.com/the-robocop-movie-review/
Old 02-13-14, 06:59 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seeing this flick for free so I got nothing to lose on this one.
Old 02-13-14, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Still not gonna see it despite the not terrible reviews. I just don't see the point unless it's truly great.
Old 02-13-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Deadline is reporting about $3 million on opening day...pretty bad, but much of that could just have to do with the awful weather in the south and east.
Old 02-13-14, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Seeing this flick for free so I got nothing to lose on this one.
wonder how?
Old 02-13-14, 09:27 AM
Suspended

Columbia/Sony's About Last Night remake is actually getting decent reviews. I wonder why the released two movies to compete with each other.
Old 02-13-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Columbia/Sony's About Last Night remake is actually getting decent reviews. I wonder why the released two movies to compete with each other.
They're counter programming to one another, you get all the lonely nerds with Robocop this weekend, you'll get the rest later. About Last Night needs to be release this week.
Old 02-13-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
They're counter programming to one another, you get all the lonely nerds with Robocop this weekend, you'll get the rest later. About Last Night needs to be release this week.
Likewise, all of the miserable couples will attend About Last Night.
Old 02-13-14, 03:13 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I wouldn't buy a ticket for a dollar.
Old 02-13-14, 08:54 PM
Suspended

Over President's Day weekend, The LEGO Movie should hold on to first place ahead of three 80s remakes. With its strong Valentine's Day appeal, About Last Night will likely be the strongest of the newcomers, while Robocop will have a tough time bouncing back from its poor Wednesday opening.

With the East Coast buried under a nasty snowstorm on Wednesday and Thursday, there will be a lot of talk about the weather's effect on the box office. While some people will inevitably stay away from theaters, the aggregate impact is often overstated: comparing week-over-week drops during similar events suggests a 10-to-12 percent drop in box office is the worst-case scenario.

The RoboCop remake got a jump on the competition by opening at 3,372 locations on Wednesday. This is Sony/Columbia's second remake of a Paul Verhoeven sci-fi movie—the first was 2012's Total Recall, which opened to $25.6 million on its way to a disappointing $58.9 million.

Sony will still have the highest-grossing new release this weekend, though it's coming from Screen Gems, not Columbia. Opening at 2,253 locations, the About Last Night remake seems to have the recipe for Valentine's Day success. Featuring two couples exploring relationship issues in humorous ways, the movie will be the go-to date night choice. It doesn't hurt that marketing prominently features Kevin Hart, who is undoubtedly a box office draw following the success of last month's Ride Along.

With a similar tone and a few of the same cast members, About Last Night is reminiscent of 2012 Screen Gems movie Think Like a Man. That opened to $33.6 million on its way to $91.5 million; a similar result wouldn't be surprising for About Last Night. Sony is more modestly predicting mid-$20 millions for the four-day frame.

Old 02-13-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. The blackout-shootout scene was pretty cool. That aside, the review posted in PenguinJoe's thread sums up my feelings rather well.

Anyone else feel the pre-title sequence was a bit unnecessary? It seemed to just be a more elaborate way of saying what the board room sequence in the original did except with more FX work. FWIW, a lot of those futuristic looking scenes in the previews come from those first five minutes. Rest of the movie looks pretty dang regular.
Old 02-13-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My son and I went to see the movie after watching the new BR with the $7.50 Ticket.

Watched in IMAX.

My 19 year old son loved it, even more so than the original.

The review said it had no heart, I thought just the opposite. This time, Murphy's family has a bigger part in the movie and I feel like they pull more emotions out...or atleast different kind of emotions.
-I really like what they did with his family, would love to see how that would be explored in the next movie.

Action was great, but I must say there were a few times I thought Robocop should have bit the big one once or twice.

I went in not expecting much, but was surprised in a good way.
Old 02-13-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Saw it tonight and was actually pleasantly surprised. It's not as classic as the original film but I enjoyed it for the most part. I liked how the film expanded a bit on Murphy's character rather than in the original how he was introduced, shot to hell, and instantly became Robocop afterwards. I think the little bit of character building worked well.

I also liked Gary Oldman's role as Robocop's doctor and it was cool seeing Michael Keaton as the villain. It seems a rarity that he's in films now days. I didn't mind Samuel L. Jackson as the 24/7 cable news anchor but I sort of felt like some of those scenes slowed the movie down a bit and kind of detracted from the rest of the film.

I liked how the original Robocop theme was used and agree with others that the blackout shootout scene was pretty cool. I still didn't love the black suit throughout most of the film and still thought that the silver looked better but it wasn't completely awful. Overall I'd say give this a chance, it's not the classic film we all know and love but for what it is I think it's okay. I'd probably give it 3.5 out of 5.
Old 02-14-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

One thing this movie does have over the original is better acting. However, I feel the B-level acting of the original kind of adds to its effect. I also feel that if this were the first time we saw Robocop as a movie, people would be more open to it. It seems people are more open to taking something that's got more character and story then cutting it down than taking something that was shorter and to the point and doing the reverse. Just look at the Hobbit movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.