Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

And The Sheepiest Answer Is.... ACADEMY AWARDS SHEEP GAME

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

And The Sheepiest Answer Is.... ACADEMY AWARDS SHEEP GAME

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts
Re: And The Sheepiest Answer Is.... ACADEMY AWARDS SHEEP GAME

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
From Wikipedia:

At the 25th Academy Awards, The Greatest Show on Earth won Oscars for Best Picture (earning that recognition over films such as High Noon and The Quiet Man and the classic Singin' in the Rain) and for Best Story. It received nominations for Best Director, Best Film Editing, and Best Costume Design, Color. It is the last "Best Picture" winner to date that won less than 3 Academy Awards. It was also the last movie to win Best Picture without winning an Academy Award for both Best Director and "Best Screenplay" (Original or Adapted) until Gladiator in 2001.
Movies that won Best Picture without winning for both Best Director and Best Screenplay (Original or Adapted):
Around the World in Eighty Days
The Greatest Show On Earth
Ben-Hur
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
In the Heat of the Night
Oliver!
The Godfather
Rocky
The Deer Hunter
Chariots of Fire
Platoon
Driving Miss Daisy
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic
Shakespeare in Love
Gladiator
Old 01-31-14, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I enjoy these games... even though I suck at them.
Old 01-31-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I can see why Crash won (one word : Homophobia). I still have no idea why The King's Speech won -- my best guess is deference to all things British. That film was just so unremarkable and unmemorable - it might as well have been a play.
I'm uncomfortable with people saying the reason Brokeback Mountain didn't win was because of homophobia.

If the academy is so homophobic, why did they give it so many nominations in the first place?

If it had won, would you be saying, "I can see why Brokeback Mountain won (one word: racism)"

Brokeback Mountain didn't win for the same reason stuff like Raging Bull and 2001 and Fargodidn't win--because people were so focused on choosing the best film of the year, they were blind to movies that were amongst the best films of the decade... maybe of all time.
Old 01-31-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Movies that won Best Picture without winning for both Best Director and Best Screenplay (Original or Adapted):
Around the World in Eighty Days
The Greatest Show On Earth
Ben-Hur
West Side Story
Lawrence of Arabia
My Fair Lady
The Sound of Music
In the Heat of the Night
Oliver!
The Godfather
Rocky
The Deer Hunter
Chariots of Fire
Platoon
Driving Miss Daisy
Braveheart
The English Patient
Titanic
Shakespeare in Love
Gladiator
I think they may have meant "or" instead of "and"
Old 01-31-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I would have like to seen some david777-type reverse sheep questions where there are a small finite number of correct answers and you never know what the best answer is going to be : things like "Name a Best Actor winner from this century".
I have a type of question!

Last edited by davidh777; 01-31-14 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-31-14, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm uncomfortable with people saying the reason Brokeback Mountain didn't win was because of homophobia.

If the academy is so homophobic, why did they give it so many nominations in the first place?

If it had won, would you be saying, "I can see why Brokeback Mountain won (one word: racism)"

Brokeback Mountain didn't win for the same reason stuff like Raging Bull and 2001 and Fargodidn't win--because people were so focused on choosing the best film of the year, they were blind to movies that were amongst the best films of the decade... maybe of all time.
I've always thought it was a movie that, other than the fact that the two main characters were gay, was a rather unoriginal story. Put a female in one of the lead roles, and it's just a LIFETIME movie. It's well-directed, but I've never thought the story was all that remarkable.

Felt the same way about THE BUTLER this year. It didn't get ignored at the Oscars because of racism - it got ignored because it's just not that great of a movie.
Old 01-31-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

From Wikipedia:

At the 25th Academy Awards, The Greatest Show on Earth won Oscars for Best Picture (earning that recognition over films such as High Noon and The Quiet Man and the classic Singin' in the Rain) and for Best Story. It received nominations for Best Director, Best Film Editing, and Best Costume Design, Color. It is the last "Best Picture" winner to date that won less than 3 Academy Awards. It was also the last movie to win Best Picture without winning an Academy Award for both Best Director and "Best Screenplay" (Original or Adapted) until Gladiator in 2001.
A list of 20 movies that show the bolded sentence is incorrect
I guess the sentence should be:
It was the last movie to win Best Picture without also winning either an Academy Award for both Best Director or "Best Screenplay" (Original or Adapted) until Gladiator in 2001.

If anyone has a wikipedia account, you should edit it.
Old 01-31-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I definitely interpreted it as undeserving winner rather than flat-out bad film. But seriously, how many people remember The Greatest Show on Earth? I sure don't, nor do I remember that it won. But as I said earlier, I don't consider myself an Oscar historian by any stretch.
I guess this is one of those instances where I am aware of a piece of trivia that I totally expected that the knowledgeable movie fans would be aware of as well.
Old 01-31-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I guess this is one of those instances where I am aware of a piece of trivia that I totally expected that the knowledgeable movie fans would be aware of as well.
Chalk me up as ignorant!

Old 01-31-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always thought that Crash won because the movie in its plot and themes especially appealed to all the Academy members who live in LA.

Think about how you would feel about a movie that you thought was saying something important and insightful about the city you live in.
Old 01-31-14, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's more of a case of those knowing also knowing that most of the forum members playing this game weren't going to pick that film as their answer. It was the first film to pop into my head, because I've heard so many critics mention it as an undeserving winner...but I've also been a member of DVD Talk long enough to know how loathed CRASH is around here.
Old 01-31-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Chalk me up as ignorant!

I did say it was a piece of trivia.

Before the movie Ed Wood was made, the notion that Plan 9 From Outer Space was the worst movie ever made was a similar (although admittedly more widely known) piece of trivia.

It's just one of those things that I expected would have been conventional wisdom for a lot more players in this game.

Added: I was also really surprised that no one named Schindler's List as the best B/W movie. If not for the "back in the old days" line, that would have been my answer.
Old 01-31-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've always thought that Crash won because the movie in its plot and themes especially appealed to all the Academy members who live in LA.

Think about how you would feel about a movie that you thought was saying something important and insightful about the city you live in.
If only they had felt that way about L.A. Confidential.
Old 01-31-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 122 Posts

It's just one of those things that I expected would have been conventional wisdom for a lot more players in this game.
You've played enough Sheep games to know how this works by now.

Congrats sauce07 for the win and congrats to Crocker for hosting his fifth game.
Old 01-31-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
If only they had felt that way about L.A. Confidential.
It's sort of how I viewed the movie Spanglish. I imagined a certain demographic of people in LA seeing that as saying something thoughtful about their everyday lives.
Old 01-31-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone
You've played enough Sheep games to know how this works by now.

Congrats sauce07 for the win and congrats to Crocker for hosting his fifth game.
I thought post-game whining was part of how this works.
Old 01-31-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought post-game whining was part of how this works.
If that's the case...

Question 9:
The Godfather Part2 0
Dino88 0
No one?
Old 02-03-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
If that's the case...

No one?
Well, OK, I tried going with my perceived forum bias for Return of the King and yet Godfather I managed to take it!

Congrats to sauce07 for the win and Crocker for running the game!
Old 02-03-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm surprised how people interpreted #10:

The Academy sucks ass! Name the worst movie to ever win the award for Best Picture.
I know that The Greatest Show On Earth is generally considered by critics to be the worst Best Picture winner ever, but I was trying to go with "The Worst Movie To Win That Will Be The Most Sheepy" so that means it would have be something that won in roughly the past 20 years or less.
Old 02-03-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac
I know that The Greatest Show On Earth is generally considered by critics to be the worst Best Picture winner ever, but I was trying to go with "The Worst Movie To Win That Will Be The Most Sheepy" so that means it would have be something that won in roughly the past 20 years or less.
All the movies voted for where good choices, as I remember each as a controversial winner.

For me, I would have picked Gladiator, which I thought was a flat-out terrible movie. While I agree that there were much better movies than winners like A Beautiful Mind or Shakespear in Love, the movie to win best picture has always been Good, a movie I enjoyed seeing. Gladiator is the lone best picture winner from the last 20 or so years that I genuinely thought stunk as a movie.
Old 02-04-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
That's what I was thinking too, which is why I passed on Greatest Show on Earth and voted for The English Patient, primarily because it was a struggle for me to stay awake during that one.
Old 02-04-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Damfino
That's what I was thinking too, which is why I passed on Greatest Show on Earth and voted for The English Patient, primarily because it was a struggle for me to stay awake during that one.
I remember the backlash when The English Patient got nominated and Sack Lunch was snubbed.