Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The "Perfect" movie ...what's yours?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The "Perfect" movie ...what's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 08:16 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The "Perfect" movie ...what's yours?

The original Back to the Future comes to mind. Animal House, Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, Say Anything, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The original Star Wars trilogy. I can't find a fault in them, as in they are perfectly entertaining, if that makes sense.
Old 01-27-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

My 5 (in alphabetical order- no favoritism)

Almost Famous
Apocalypse Now
Highlander
Sunset Boulevard
Until the End of the World
Old 01-27-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now to me are the only perfect films. I can't find a flaw with either.
I have 3 movie posters this is two of them. Thing is I bought them because I thought the posters looked cool, not that I am a huge fan of those movies in particular.

Old 01-27-14, 04:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

what about Gone With the Wind? i've never seen it, but it does get a lot of these type of accolades, no?
Old 01-27-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
what about Gone With the Wind?
IMO

No!
Old 01-27-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by rexinnih
My 5 (in alphabetical order- no favoritism)

Almost Famous
Apocalypse Now
Highlander
Sunset Boulevard
Until the End of the World
Have not seen Until the End of the World. Hopefully Criterion will get it's hands on it and release the 280 minute cut.

Last edited by inri222; 01-27-14 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ALARM!

Hit it.

Let's draw straws.
Old 01-27-14, 06:56 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scarface
Back To The Future
The Breakfast Club
Blue Chips
The Conjuring
Old 01-27-14, 09:39 PM
Banned

what about Gone With the Wind? i've never seen it, but it does get a lot of these type of accoldaes, no?
Cmon Scott I know you are better than this.
Old 01-27-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
I have 3 movie posters this is two of them. Thing is I bought them because I thought the posters looked cool, not that I am a huge fan of those movies in particular.

I just rewatched this today. Probably 20 years since I saw it last. What struck me was how unbelievably good DeNiro was in this movie. The depth of emotion he demonstrated in just little glances and facial expressions was incredible. I think it is sometimes easy to forget just how good he is when you see him in something like Last Vegas or Meet the Whatevers. Just an amazing performance. And I just love the 70s grit and realism of the movies from that decade, where people looked like people, and cities were dirty, crowded living things.
Old 01-27-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I just rewatched this today. Probably 20 years since I saw it last. What struck me was how unbelievably good DeNiro was in this movie. The depth of emotion he demonstrated in just little glances and facial expressions was incredible. I think it is sometimes easy to forget just how good he is when you see him in something like Last Vegas or Meet the Whatevers. Just an amazing performance. And I just love the 70s grit and realism of the movies from that decade, where people looked like people, and cities were dirty, crowded living things.
One of the greatest films of all time and IMO Scorsese's best film. Everything about Taxi Driver is amazing. The panning shot when Travis is on the phone, the close up of the Alka-Seltzer, even the little things in this film make an impression.
Old 01-27-14, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
One of the greatest films of all time and IMO Scorsese's best film. Everything about Taxi Driver is amazing. The panning shot when Travis is on the phone, the close up of the Alka-Seltzer, even the little things in this film make an impression.
Agree. I liked how there was little pieces of dirt in the Alka-Seltzer to let you know you could never really wash away the dirt and repulsion of the city. I was also struck by how close Palantine is to Palpatine (coincidence?) and how his running platform was not really much different than today. 40 years later and we still have the same problems. How Jodie Foster's physical mannerisms were set even at 13, how even if you freeze frame the articles at the end, they are truly articles with real reporting, pictures and diagrams (would be cool movie memorabilia to have those), how good the dialogue is and how much it sounds like real people talking, how Bickle just shot the convenience store thief and how I thought if done today the robber would grab a hostage and there would be a lot of completely unnecessary dialogue before he was shot

But mostly I thought that DeNiro was unbelievable and that Taxi Driver is 10 times the movie Wolf of Wall Street is
Old 01-28-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Have not seen Until the End of the World. Hopefully Criterion will get it's hands on it and release the 280 minute cut.
Waiting for that also! I have the German import DVD that I just watched over the weekend to tide me over until someone finally releases this on BD.
Old 01-29-14, 10:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Her, Eternal Sunshine, Modern Times, Empire Strikes Back, Indiana Last Crusade, Godfather, Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Mr Smith goes to Washington, Apocalypse Now etc etc

Last edited by nando820; 01-29-14 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 01-29-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 01-30-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe not perfect, but hard to find flaws in:
Back to the Future - it's like a Swiss watch. Everything is in its place.
12 Angry Men (Henry Fonda) - a textbook depiction of the power of influence and a great example of efficient filmaking.
Chungking Express - It seems so light but it stays with you. Also, perfectly captures sweaty Hong Kong
North by Northwest - the definitive action adventure. Every aspect is flawless.
Day of the Jackal (Zinnemann) - almost like a documentary as it perfectly sets up and delivers.
The General (Keaton) - it's like a ballet, perfectly poised and immacualtely constructed.
Yojimbo - short, to the point, each character is perfectly captured, the nihilistic ending seems inevitable.
Old 01-30-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Oh yeah forgot about Chungking Express. Definitely.
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (03-28-20)
Old 01-30-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

what about Gone With the Wind? i've never seen it, but it does get a lot of these type of accolades, no?
IMO

Absolutely! There's a reason this four hour film that's over 70 years old, still has a huge fan base (though it doesn't overlap much with the general demographic here).
Anyone who dismisses it as "just a soap opera" really hasn't given it a fair shake. Had Cukor directed this as intended, it might have merited that rap- but Vic Fleming was a guy's guy, and the film has a quiet a few set pieces in it's run time that have a masculine energy and appeal. It's popcorn/pulp material elevated to art through superior craftsmanship.

And it's most definitely not just a 'chick flick'.
Old 01-30-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
IMO

Absolutely! There's a reason this four hour film that's over 70 years old, still has a huge fan base (though it doesn't overlap much with the general demographic here).
Anyone who dismisses it as "just a soap opera" really hasn't given it a fair shake. Had Cukor directed this as intended, it might have merited that rap- but Vic Fleming was a guy's guy, and the film has a quiet a few set pieces in it's run time that have a masculine energy and appeal. It's popcorn/pulp material elevated to art through superior craftsmanship.

And it's most definitely not just a 'chick flick'.
I'm a fan of GONE WITH THE WIND, but it's anything but perfect. It kind of derails in the last third, once it settles down to domestic "bliss" in the Scarlett and Rhett household, and the whole unnecessary tangent of the trip to London. I understand why all that is there--to get to the "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" and "Tomorrow is another day" ending, without which I don't think the film would have had anywhere near the impact it's had, but that stuff can be hard to sit through. And I should know, since I've sat through it several times.
Old 01-30-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Maybe not perfect, but hard to find flaws in:
Back to the Future - it's like a Swiss watch. Everything is in its place.
12 Angry Men (Henry Fonda) - a textbook depiction of the power of influence and a great example of efficient filmaking.
Chungking Express - It seems so light but it stays with you. Also, perfectly captures sweaty Hong Kong
North by Northwest - the definitive action adventure. Every aspect is flawless.
Day of the Jackal (Zinnemann) - almost like a documentary as it perfectly sets up and delivers.
The General (Keaton) - it's like a ballet, perfectly poised and immacualtely constructed.
Yojimbo - short, to the point, each character is perfectly captured, the nihilistic ending seems inevitable.

That's a good list, Hiro, and I can't think of any argument I would have with it. The only one I haven't seen on it is DAY OF THE JACKAL, which I do have on DVD, so I can watch it as soon as I get the chance and judge for myself whether it belongs on such a list. Of the others, the only one I've seen only once is BACK TO THE FUTURE, but I remember being very impressed with it when I saw it.
Old 01-30-14, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm a fan of GONE WITH THE WIND, but it's anything but perfect. It kind of derails in the last third, once it settles down to domestic "bliss" in the Scarlett and Rhett household, and the whole unnecessary tangent of the trip to London. I understand why all that is there--to get to the "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" and "Tomorrow is another day" ending, without which I don't think the film would have had anywhere near the impact it's had, but that stuff can be hard to sit through. And I should know, since I've sat through it several times.
It always strikes me how insanely expensive Gone With the Wind would be to make now. My aunt saw GWTW in the theaters probably 30 times or more. She liked it a little.
Old 01-30-14, 03:57 PM
M&J

As a comedy: Coming to America
Old 01-30-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Has John Carpenter's The Thing been mentioned?, I thought that was DVDTalk's favorite child.
Old 01-30-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Has John Carpenter's The Thing been mentioned?, I thought that was DVDTalk's favorite child.
It's been replaced by The Wolf of Wall Street.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.