Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 86th Academy Awards — 2014 Nominations Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 86th Academy Awards — 2014 Nominations Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: The 86th Academy Awards — 2014 Nominations Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Hilarious article on Deadspin: The 2014 Hater's Guide To The Oscars
Lot of truth in that article in many ways.
Old 03-02-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The top 8 categories are pretty much locked up, except for Original Screenplay, although Supporting Actress could still have a surprise. The gurus are going with either American Hustle or Her for Original Screenplay. I'm thinking Dallas Buyers Club may pull a Precious and upset in that category. Her has no shot at winning anything else, so it would be kind of weird to take home 1 win and it be such a big prize. I think the American Hustle steam has worn off. That would give DBC 3 big wins and it has alot of love from the Academy.

I would not be surprised either if June Squibb wins for Supporting Actress. If one category has a surprise, it's usually Supporting Actress.

I'd be thrilled if American Hustle loses every category.
Old 03-02-14, 09:14 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I don't have cable.
OTA antennas pick up broadcast television. No cable TV required. They can be small and pretty cheap too depending on how much of a range you need.
Old 03-02-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brack
OTA antennas pick up broadcast television. No cable TV required. They can be small and pretty cheap too depending on how much of a range you need.
Not picking up an antenna to watch one thing. I found a way to stream it (thanks for nothing ABC).
Old 03-09-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

sigh

2 Oscar Voters picked 12 Years A Slave without watching it

These people and any others who vote for something they didn't see should be banned from voting again.

I don't even want to know how much this applies to categories like foreign film, documentary, and shorts. Probably a majority haven't seen the films.
Old 03-09-14, 05:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I don't even want to know how much this applies to categories like foreign film, documentary, and shorts. Probably a majority haven't seen the films.
I think for some of those side categories you now have to attend special screenings and stay for the whole thing in order to vote. Maybe this should be required for best picture as well?
Old 03-09-14, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm sure this happens every year, it just became a story this year for some reason (:cough:Rasicm:cough: ). I don't think all the academy voters actually watched The Artist, they just got caught up in the hype.
Old 03-09-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
sigh

2 Oscar Voters picked 12 Years A Slave without watching it

These people and any others who vote for something they didn't see should be banned from voting again.

Actually in those three categories you listed, members have to have seen all the nominees. Even in the anonymous ballots from this year, people would either abstain or give a thought out explanation (which might explain how Get a Horse lost). Not sure how this is enforced though, since they sent out screeners for the shorts.

Now that leads to problems of its own. There was controversy when One Day in September won back in 2000, since the director only had a few screenings for the film during the elibikitu period, and was accused of purposely shrinking the voting pool.

Still, voting for something without having seen it is dumb either way.