Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Lots of rumblings about him in DR Strange or being Star Lord's father.
I was picturing Pacino from the Devil's advocate as Adam Warlock and thinking, "wow, that would be a different take on the character...sounds more like Magus."

MAGUS?!?

Spoiler:
Old 12-09-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Black Bolt?
I doubt they're going to cast a 74-year-old as the lead in Inhumans. Plus, if he can't talk, how can you know when he's enjoying the greatness of Medusa's rear?

I could maybe see him as Maximus The Mad.
Old 12-09-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 180 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Future Marvel Cinematic Universe projects discussion thread - Rumors, casting, et

Originally Posted by taffer

Who's the hot red headed Asian chick?
Old 12-09-14, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Famke Janssen(sp?) of our pedophile dreams.
Old 12-09-14, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-85444

According to the Wall Street Journal, Marvel and Sony have had talks about including Spider-Man in the MCU. However, those talks never resulted in a deal being worked out.
Old 12-09-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Marvel tried to get Spidey for Civil War. That would have been aweasome.
Old 12-09-14, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

If only TASM2 made a little less money...
Old 12-10-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

So basically all those rumors had some substance to them.
Old 12-10-14, 06:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Marvel tried to get Spidey for Civil War. That would have been aweasome.
Not just that, but it says that Marvel wanted to produce a solo Spidey movie trilogy with Sony retaining marketing and distribution.
Old 12-10-14, 08:10 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 615 Likes on 352 Posts

Just shows that Marvel knows what the fuck it's doing and Sony has its head up its ass. Not that we really needed this info to figure that out.
Old 12-10-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,105 Likes on 772 Posts

Not just that, but it says that Marvel wanted to produce a solo Spidey movie trilogy with Sony retaining marketing and distribution.
To be fair, it doesn't say Marvel was the one that wanted this. It just says that the idea was on the table. This could've been Sony's idea. It also says that Sony would've maintained creative control along with marketing and distribution.
Old 12-10-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

And having Creative control, I would not have liked that.

If Marvel would have produced/had creative control, and allowed SOny to retain Marketing/Distribution, I think that would have been a perfect match for everyone.
Old 12-10-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure Marvel would have just laughed at anything Sony came up creatively. I wonder how Marvel reacted seeing the concepts for Electro or Rhino
Old 12-10-14, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm sure Marvel would have just laughed at anything Sony came up creatively. I wonder how Marvel reacted seeing the concepts for Electro or Rhino
To be fair, the "classic" design of Electro isn't that great either. It's very silly looking, and it would be even sillier in live-action.

Also, the movie designs really aren't that different from what Marvel designed in the Ultimate universe.

Ultimate Electro:

Ultimate Rhino:

Old 12-10-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
It isn't a big deal though if the director wasn't a fan of comics.
But it certainly helps. The guy doing Fantastic Four doesn't give a rip about the source material, and it shows.
Old 12-10-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Burton didn't know comics and his interpretation of Batman is arguably the most influential of any since the original creation of the character. Bruce Timm similarly was more of an animation nerd than a comic nerd and even though I don't like Nolan the fanboys obviously ate up what he did and he was far from faithful to the comics.

I like Sin City, 300 and Watchmen but to suggest that faithfulness to the comics is the path to greatness starts you down the slippery slope to saying that its the most important thing and its not. The best comic book interpretations are the ones in which the essence of the characters is translated to the films with a reasonable understanding that other things will need to be adapted.
Old 12-10-14, 01:08 PM
Banned

This new Fantastic Four movie may not be faithful to the original comics, but it does sound like its taking things from Ultimate Marvel. The thing about them gaining powers from a parallel dimension (The N-Zone) instead of from outer space is exactly how they got their powers in Ultimate Marvel.

And there's nothing wrong with that. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has taken a lot of things from Ultimate Marvel as well.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, and likewise don't judge a movie before you actually see it. For Peter's sake, we haven't even see a trailer yet, and the bitchwagon is already rolling.
Old 12-10-14, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people have mentioned Nolan had some BS contempt toward Bats but his Bats was pretty all encompassing for the mythos while also following his own style and need for storytelling. Quality put aside, it was a nerd fest of stuff for a fan.
Old 12-10-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,226 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Some people have mentioned Nolan had some BS contempt toward Bats but his Bats was pretty all encompassing for the mythos while also following his own style and need for storytelling. Quality put aside, it was a nerd fest of stuff for a fan.
Yeah Nolan didn't adapt any comic stories directly for his films but at least you could tell that he was inspired by certain stories and ideas from the comics. For me the way he handled his films but made them his own worked really well.
Old 12-10-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Marvel reps still approve stuff for their properties that are with different studios, so they were probably laughing during pre-production.
Old 12-10-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Marvel reps still approve stuff for their properties that are with different studios, so they were probably laughing during pre-production.
I know this came up in a discussion here before, but while i'm sure Marvel sees everything that comes through I'd be surprised if they actually can approve/deny stuff.
Old 12-10-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah they'd probably only intervene for extreme cases, like if the script had Spidey shooting pregnant women or shit like that.
Old 12-10-14, 03:44 PM
Banned

What if Norman Osborn got Gwen Stacy pregnant and then killed her to cover it up? That's something Marvel themselves actually came up with and made into an entire comic storyarc.
Old 12-10-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That arc is actually what got me back into reading comic books. Terrible storyline, but I'm glad I read it. That summer also had War Games for the Bat books which had some equally stupid shit go down.
Old 12-10-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 925 Likes on 780 Posts

Marvel could only stop Sony from doing something with Spidey that would permanently damage the brand, such as making him a rapist or something. They can't say no if Sony designs a hideous costume. I've actually liked Sony's designs for Spider-Man's costume, it is about the only thing they've gotten 100% right. Their designs for the villains have been terrible.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.