Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 10-07-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

It'll be cool to see the Iron Spider man or the FF Spidey costume in the MCU.
Old 10-07-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts
re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by taffer
We have had five Peter Parker Spider-Man movies. Let some other Spider-characters have a chance.

Who cares about "iconic." Marvel has been willing to take risks with characters completely unknown (such as GOTG and Ant-Man) and so far it has paid off (although Ant-Man is not for certain yet).
I agree, but it seems like people want to see the same thing over and over again. However, Ant-Man will surely be an abomination.
Old 10-07-14, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't see how Spider-Man would have to be written differently either.
i think people missed what i said. I was talking about fitting into the brand. ASM Spidey as a writing exercise would need some retooling to fit the MCU. Not major just change him up to not be mediocre to be someone we actually care about. Saying that... we need villains with some meat on them. Loki is the best one. WS is something else and it works.

So far? Id be fine with killing Parker and letting Morales takeover. Parker just isn't entertaining anymore and I love him in the comics.

Miles would be very good to see though. World Marketing especially. The world isn't so white anymore.

If Marvel and Sony do come to a deal, it would be awesome if they don't announce it on the internet but rather wait and announce it during the post-credit sequence of Age of Ultron.

How awesome would it be if the post-credit sequence of Age of Ultron was something like a voiceover saying, "Guess who is coming in phase three? Did you guess Howard the Duck? Guess again." Then Spider-Man webswings out on the screen.

They need something to top the schwarma credit sequence from the first Avengers movie, and that would do it.
that sounds horrible based off of what we've had as an established method already.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-07-14 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Fuck, man. What is WS??
Old 10-07-14, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Fuck, man. What is WS??
Winter Soldier
Old 10-07-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
i think people missed what i said. I was talking about fitting into the brand. ASM Spidey as a writing exercise would need some retooling to fit the MCU. Not major just change him up to not be mediocre to be someone we actually care about. Saying that... we need villains with some meat on them. Loki is the best one. WS is something else and it works.
That doesn't require retooling, just BETTER WRITERS.
Old 10-07-14, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
It'll be cool to see the Iron Spider man or the FF Spidey costume in the MCU.
That leads to an interesting question. Who would actually have the rights to the FF Spidey costume, Sony or Fox? It could be a split deal like with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, but I doubt it because Fox can't use Spidey at all and Sony can't use FF. Maybe nobody has the rights to that costume and it is completely off-limits.
Old 10-07-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That leads to an interesting question. Who would actually have the rights to the FF Spidey costume, Sony or Fox? It could be a split deal like with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, but I doubt it because Fox can't use Spidey at all and Sony can't use FF. Maybe nobody has the rights to that costume and it is completely off-limits.
That would never happen so it's a moot point.
Old 10-07-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

That wasn't a very interesting question at all either
Old 10-07-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,194 Likes on 928 Posts

We have had five Peter Parker Spider-Man movies. Let some other Spider-characters have a chance.

Who cares about "iconic." Marvel has been willing to take risks with characters completely unknown (such as GOTG and Ant-Man) and so far it has paid off (although Ant-Man is not for certain yet).
I think it'd be one thing if Spidey was already established in the MCU but if they're going to use Spider-Man for the first time the logical choice is to use Parker. If they want to introduce more characters from his world after a while that's fine but its silly to use someone who most people don't know as Spidey right off the bat because the filmmakers want to try and be different. It'd be like DC choosing to use Terry McGinnis as Batman over Bruce Wayne.
Old 10-07-14, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That wasn't a very interesting question at all either
Well kiss my fat hairy ass. You're not at all curious who would actually have the rights to it?
Old 10-07-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a feeling, based on various comments made by Sony reps about being in talks with Marvel after TASM2 was released, that we will see Spider-Man popping up in Marvel's universe and Sony getting some help from Marvel. Sony's reshuffling of dates and uncertainty with the franchise also point at this possibility. We'll see.
This is what I said a few days ago, in the Fantastic Four thread, as I had a feeling this news was on it's way out. A week or so after TASM2 came out a Sony exec or two tweeted about Sony and Marvel having successful talks, but those comments were quickly deleted from certain Twitter accounts. Both companies are said to be very friendly and on good terms with each other, with Fox wanting nothing to do with Marvel. Sony has been in a tough spot financially in recent times so what happens with Spider-man is important to the company as a whole.

Although ASM2 did over 700m worldwide the domestic was lower than expected. Sony is concerned with the critical reception to TASM2 and is very fearful of what step they take next being a bad move, therefore the shuffling about of dates/concepts/ideas. They won't totally give up the character to Marvel, but are not blind to the success Marvel is having with even it's lesser known properties. From all angles, Spider-man in a Marvel film would be a win for Sony, and ease the hardcore fans that want Marvel to be able to use the character from time to time.

Implications in a potential deal are much bigger than just Spider-man, who I would call the carrot on the stick. What would be huge for both Sony and Marvel/Disney would be a crossover. Why else would Sony even consider an all-villain Sinister Six? Imagine Avengers v.s. Sinister Six actually happening. This is why I suggested in the Avengers 2 thread that Avengers 3 part 1 might feature a huge team vs team battle, and could be set up by Sony's SS movie which was moved before TASM3 for a reason.
Old 10-07-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
This is what I said a few days ago, in the Fantastic Four thread, as I had a feeling this news was on it's way out. A week or so after TASM2 came out a Sony exec or two tweeted about Sony and Marvel having successful talks, but those comments were quickly deleted from certain Twitter accounts. Both companies are said to be very friendly and on good terms with each other, with Fox wanting nothing to do with Marvel. Sony has been in a tough spot financially in recent times so what happens with Spider-man is important to the company as a whole.

Although ASM2 did over 700m worldwide the domestic was lower than expected. Sony is concerned with the critical reception to TASM2 and is very fearful of what step they take next being a bad move, therefore the shuffling about of dates/concepts/ideas. They won't totally give up the character to Marvel, but are not blind to the success Marvel is having with even it's lesser known properties. From all angles, Spider-man in a Marvel film would be a win for Sony, and ease the hardcore fans that want Marvel to be able to use the character from time to time.

Implications in a potential deal are much bigger than just Spider-man, who I would call the carrot on the stick. What would be huge for both Sony and Marvel/Disney would be a crossover. Why else would Sony even consider an all-villain Sinister Six? Imagine Avengers v.s. Sinister Six actually happening.
Then they need to make sure to give creative control over Sinister Six to Marvel, Otherwise no one is going to care if that film bombs.
Old 10-07-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Then they need to make sure to give creative control over Sinister Six to Marvel, Otherwise no one is going to care if that film bombs.
It wouldn't surprise me if they did, as it would be one less headache for Sony. No way will they give Marvel full control though.

Truthfully though, I can see the concept working in Phase 3 if Spider-man shows up in a Marvel film first, drumming up interest in the SS movie which leads to Avengers.

OTOH, we might be looking at deals being put together for Phase 4, to draw up interest when Marvel starts losing key players.
Old 10-07-14, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Imagine Avengers v.s. Sinister Six actually happening. This is why I suggested in the Avengers 2 thread that Avengers 3 part 1 might feature a huge team vs team battle, and could be set up by Sony's SS movie which was moved before TASM3 for a reason.
If Marvel was going the team route, I'd rather see them do Masters of Evil than have the Avengers fight a team of Spider-Man villains. Marvel has let enough of their villains live or gave them ambiguous fates (Red Skull) that they could easily put together a team of villainous heavy-hitters.
Old 10-07-14, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If Marvel was going the team route, I'd rather see them do Masters of Evil than have the Avengers fight a team of Spider-Man villains. Marvel has let enough of their villains live or gave them ambiguous fates (Red Skull) that they could easily put together a team of villainous heavy-hitters.
Yes, they could, but Marvel is well aware that Fox and Sony has the majority of their popular major villains. As I said in the other thread, Marvel was said to be more interested in getting Doom and Galactus back and into their MCU than the FF, which is why they are pissed at Fox
Old 10-07-14, 05:29 PM
Banned

Avengers vs Sinister Six would be lame. The Sinister Six isn't hard-hitting enough to give the Avengers a threat. Thor or Hulk could easily solo all six.

The classic Sinister Six lineup:

Doctor Octopus
Sandman
Mysterio
Vulture
Electro
Kraven the Hunter

Sure the movie lineup might change a little bit. Green Goblin will likely replace one of them. Rhino as well perhaps. But seriously, who there would be a threat to Thor or Hulk?
Old 10-07-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Avengers vs Sinister Six would be lame. The Sinister Six isn't hard-hitting enough to give the Avengers a threat. Thor or Hulk could easily solo all six.

The classic Sinister Six lineup:

Doctor Octopus
Sandman
Mysterio
Vulture
Electro
Kraven the Hunter

Sure the movie lineup might change a little bit. Green Goblin will likely replace one of them. Rhino as well perhaps. But seriously, who there would be a threat to Thor or Hulk?
Who said Thor or Hulk would be there?
Old 10-07-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 886 Likes on 572 Posts

That's the Sinister Six lineup I would love to see. Enough of the Green Goblin for a bit.
Old 10-07-14, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Toddarino
That's the Sinister Six lineup I would love to see. Enough of the Green Goblin for a bit.
Agreed, but it does look like Green Goblin is going to be the founder of the Sinister Six according to what we see in ASM2. Rhino is probably going to be there too. If I remember right Doc Ock's arms and Vulture's wings are briefly seen as well. Electro is already there. So that's five of the six that will likely be in the movie.

My guess is Sandman probably won't be used since he is connected to that abomination called Spider-Man 3. Kraven probably won't be either since he would be kinda lame in live-action. Mysterio will probably be the sixth.

Green Goblin (replacing Sandman)
Rhino (replacing Kraven)
Doctor Octopus
Vulture
Electro
Mysterio

That's my guess as to who will make up the movie Sinister Six. It also helps that half of them (GG, Rhino, and Electro) have already been introduced in ASM2, so they won't have to spend time introducing them in the next movie.
Old 10-07-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s-xMtOBSBAI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-07-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,082 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I wouldn't like a whole voiceover intro. Something subtle like a spider, or a web or something. Would make people go nuts.
Yeah, seems like their style would be to have a webby glove shooting webbing or something like that.
Old 10-07-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 830 Likes on 390 Posts

The end credits teaser from ASM2 had allusions to the following characters:

Goblin
Vulture
Doc Ock
Kraven
Rhino
Mysterio or Chameleon

Images here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/amazi...ter-six-2014-4
Old 10-13-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The rumors surrounding Marvel and Sony working together to get Spider-Man in the MCU make even more sense now. SM plays a huge role in Civil War.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ro...ve-1201312229/

Robert Downey Jr. is on the verge of signing on to “Captain America 3,” a move that would bring the Civil War storyline from Marvel’s comicbooks to the bigscreen and trigger the start of a new phase of movies from Marvel Studios.

The actor is in final negotiations to play billionaire Tony Stark in the third installment, which is slated to begin production in the Spring for a May 6, 2016, release. Downey is already set to suit up as Iron Man for next year’s “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “The Avengers 3.”

The deal is significant for the Marvel cinematic universe considering the plot will pit Stark against Captain America’s alter-ego Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, as they feud over the Superhero Registration Act, which forces anyone with superhuman abilities to reveal their identities to the U.S. government and agree to act as a police force for the authorities.
Old 10-20-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a lot of comic book movies coming.

Spoiler:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.