Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by dex14
Just jump from the 50s to the 60s or 70s and recast Mutt.

I posted this a few years back:

KotCS took place in 1957, with an approx. 19 year old Mutt. Fast forward 10 to 15 years, and you could recast a 30/35 year old version of him. And technically Indy has a daughter too. You could fast forward even further and cast a 16/18 year old daughter to throw into the mix. Though I don't remember how old she was on the show. But I just feel like an Indiana Jones adventure in the 1970s, really wouldn't feel like Indiana Jones.
Recast Mutt with Chris Pratt and have the father and son adventure be more like "The Last Crusade" with Harrison Ford essentially being like Sean Connery in that movie and set it in the late 1960s or early 1970s
Old 02-05-20, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
re: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023, D: Mangold) S: Ford - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This is all I'm hoping for.
Thing is I’m concerned it will just further tarnish the legacy of the series. Ford is 77 and will be older when this films. At best it’ll be a passing of the torch film. I just am not very optimistic about this film. Sometimes it’s best to just leave something be instead of trying to squeeze it dry and nothing is left.
Old 02-05-20, 07:04 PM

Received 4,605 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Recast Mutt with Chris Pratt and have the father and son adventure be more like "The Last Crusade" with Harrison Ford essentially being like Sean Connery in that movie and set it in the late 1960s or early 1970s
Yea, Pratt is who I originally mentioned in that post, but edited it when I reposted. I think he is starting into his 40s now. He could play a little younger ... sure... I think people were getting tired of him being after Jurassic World.

They could easily spin-off the son of Indiana Jones into a Disney+ series.
Old 02-05-20, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Thing is I’m concerned it will just further tarnish the legacy of the series. Ford is 77 and will be older when this films. At best it’ll be a passing of the torch film. I just am not very optimistic about this film. Sometimes it’s best to just leave something be instead of trying to squeeze it dry and nothing is left.

As someone who blames a good chunk of the last ones failures on George Lucas, his uninvolvement in Part 5 leaves me hopeful.
Old 02-05-20, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I have no trust an Indy 5 can be made and be any good until Kathleen Kennedy is fired. She hates good male characters.
Old 02-06-20, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I have no trust an Indy 5 can be made and be any good until Kathleen Kennedy is fired. She hates good male characters.
And you just hate women. You do realize she was a producer on Indy (and many other things) way before she became the head of Lucasfilm right?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 02-06-20, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think this is what Disney had in mind when they bought Lucasfilm. I'm not sure that's the case anymore, though.
Old 02-06-20, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And you just hate women. You do realize she was a producer on Indy (and many other things) way before she became the head of Lucasfilm right?
Her contract runs out at the end of 2021, same time as when Bob Iger will step down. She'll "retire" then, but plans are already in place to oust her - Kevin Feige will most likely be the new head of Lucasfilm starting in 2022. At least that's where they seem to be heading now...if Feige has a project flop before then, all bets are off.
Old 02-06-20, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Her contract runs out at the end of 2021, same time as when Bob Iger will step down. She'll "retire" then, but plans are already in place to oust her - Kevin Feige will most likely be the new head of Lucasfilm starting in 2022. At least that's where they seem to be heading now...if Feige has a project flop before then, all bets are off.
Irrelevant to his post. And the Feige stuff is nothing but speculation.
Old 02-06-20, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Bluelite's point about getting Kennedy out of Lucasfilm is valid. Not much good has come from her leadership. She may have had some quality products in her day --- but not so much anymore.
Mountain Biker (02-16-20)
Old 02-06-20, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V
Bluelite's point about getting Kennedy out of Lucasfilm is valid. Not much good has come from her leadership. She may have had some quality products in her day --- but not so much anymore.
Her leadership hasn’t been good. New leadership there will be a good thing. I’m taking issue with the known person of making misogynistic comments, who thinks all women are out to get him, making comments about how she “hates good male characters”.

Last edited by dex14; 02-06-20 at 06:49 AM.
JeremyM (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Exactly. There are people who may have a good point about leadership at Lucasfilm, but he is not one of them.
Old 02-06-20, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She is nothing but a glorified secretary and is in no way a creative visionary. If Spielberg were to direct I think he would at least stay true to the character. After all Indy was created as a James Bond knockoff.
Old 02-06-20, 08:15 AM

She is nothing but a glorified secretary and is in no way a creative visionary.
I rest my case.
Old 02-06-20, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not being misogynistic and stating facts. Look at all the male characters in Star Wars who were killed off, made the villains, or completely emasculated to elevate forced in female characters. The Force is not Female.
Old 02-06-20, 08:23 AM

I'm not being misogynistic. The Force is not Female.
Sounds about time for you hit up the therapist again.
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 02-06-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still seeing a therapist even though I'm now off my meds.
Old 02-06-20, 10:17 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That’s just too easy. I won’t do it.
Old 02-06-20, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,306 Likes on 950 Posts

I'm not being misogynistic and stating facts. Look at all the male characters in Star Wars who were killed off, made the villains, or completely emasculated to elevate forced in female characters. The Force is not Female.
You think you're not being misogynistic but you are.

I'm Brad Pitt
Old 02-06-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Here's my pitch to start out the adventure:

We open with the Nazi gold train idea, which I liked. They have a Raiders-like opening where they dodge some hazards (unclear if they were deliberate traps set by the Nazis or just a product of a decrepit area and so on). They find the train, open it up, and...it's filled with crates that turn out to be canned goods or something. Indy has failed and can't fund his digs/treasure hunts anymore. Face it, Indy, there's nothing left for a guy like you to find in this world. Go retire, old man, and tell your stories about immortal knights and magic arks elsewhere. (Note: Do not have Indy say, "It's true, all of it." It's been done.)

Then someone who may or may not be a nutcase recruits him for another treasure hunt that Indy is skeptical about, but what choice does he have if he wants to continue on doing what he's doing? The shady character plays on his knowledge of Indy's prior adventures to get him going. Maybe Marion gives him a push out the door. Would love to have Sallah back, so let's say he vouches for this shady guy. And so we don't know if Indy is on a real treasure/artifact hunt or a farce as the story unfolds. Anyway, that's all I've got--Disney, pay me for the rest, I'll cobble something together.
Old 02-06-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,760 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Her leadership hasn’t been good. New leadership there will be a good thing. I’m taking issue with the known person of making misogynistic comments, who thinks all women are out to get him, making comments about how she “hates good male characters”.
Kennedy has been a horrible steward for the Star Wars franchise. Whatever she has on her extensive resume certainly didn't translate to heading up a franchise like Star Wars.

That said, the wretchedness of Crystal Skull lands at the feet of Spielberg and Lucas, not Kennedy.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-15-20 at 10:51 PM. Reason: "Star Wars" not "Stat Wars"
Mountain Biker (02-16-20)
Old 02-06-20, 01:38 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Here's my pitch to start out the adventure:

We open with the Nazi gold train idea, which I liked. They have a Raiders-like opening where they dodge some hazards (unclear if they were deliberate traps set by the Nazis or just a product of a decrepit area and so on). They find the train, open it up, and...it's filled with crates that turn out to be canned goods or something. Indy has failed and can't fund his digs/treasure hunts anymore. Face it, Indy, there's nothing left for a guy like you to find in this world. Go retire, old man, and tell your stories about immortal knights and magic arks elsewhere. (Note: Do not have Indy say, "It's true, all of it." It's been done.)

Then someone who may or may not be a nutcase recruits him for another treasure hunt that Indy is skeptical about, but what choice does he have if he wants to continue on doing what he's doing? The shady character plays on his knowledge of Indy's prior adventures to get him going. Maybe Marion gives him a push out the door. Would love to have Sallah back, so let's say he vouches for this shady guy. And so we don't know if Indy is on a real treasure/artifact hunt or a farce as the story unfolds. Anyway, that's all I've got--Disney, pay me for the rest, I'll cobble something together.
Not bad. Have you read my Old Indy idea? I think I posted it in this thread.
JeremyM (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Yep, as I recall it was very good!
Old 02-06-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Irrelevant to his post. And the Feige stuff is nothing but speculation.
I didn't bring the topic up, and the company that makes the movie we're talking about is completely relevant to this post, as is the person who runs that company.
Old 02-06-20, 06:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

calling it now, Indy 5 is going to involve some type of ancient artifact that involves time travel like one of these:

11 Extraordinary Out-Of-Place Artifacts | MessageToEagle.com

and it will be some sort of combination of old Indy and a deaged CGI Indy trying to fix the time ripple.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.