Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lawrence, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lawrence, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
13.95%
34.88%
20.93%
9.30%
11.63%
6.98%
0%
2.33%
0%
0%
0%
The Hunger Games: Catching Wind
0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lawrence, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-13, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Lawrence, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Talking about D12, as a viewer... I don't give a fuck about D12. A place I barely had any connection to. Had seen very little of, which is worse cuz the design isn't exactly all that memorable.
Old 11-23-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I am the other side of the coin, I loved it. My wife and I went to the 10:15pm show last night. It was packed. The audience was very courteous and was really into it.

They hit all the high points of the book for me and moved things along rather well. There were some pretty tense moments which had the audience screaming, gasping and cheering.

I still don't care for Kravits as Cinna, but the others were well cast. Loved seeing Jena Malone, PSH, and Jeffery Wright.

Can't wait to take my teenagers to see it (as I will gladly see it again).

It's gonna be a long wait for the Mockingjay films.

I give it an A!
I agree with this, expect I like Kravitz in the role too.

I really enjoyed the and the darker tone it had than the first. The new cast members were good too. Malon and PSH were great as expected, but Sam Claflin was a standout as Finnick Odair as well.

I wish the next one was coming out like in 3 months. It's going to be a longgggg wait.
Old 11-23-13, 06:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
It ended exactly how the book did, and I was hoping it wouldn't. I really was hoping they would
Spoiler:
show the bombed out District 12 and end where the third book opens, with Katniss walking through the ruins. They didn't need to have Gale explain what happened, they could have just left him silent and cut to a shot of her leaving the aircraft and going into the remains.
I didn't read the book, but yes it would have made more sense to what you suggested, in the movie it just abruptly ended.

In terms of the 2.35 framing of the 4:3 IMAX shot scenes during the 'Games' sequence, some are quite apparent as the image seems way too cramped/cropped.
Old 11-23-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does the digital IMAX change ratios? Why would IMAX be 4:3?
Old 11-23-13, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Does the digital IMAX change ratios? Why would IMAX be 4:3?
because portions of the film were shot in native 4:3 'Full' IMAX aspect ratio - floor to ceiling / wall to wall of an almost square screen (think Nolan's last two Dark Knight movies). Of course those scenes would be furthered cropped to 1.78 for IMAX-Digital and 2.35 to standard theatrical exhibition

Last edited by Giles; 11-23-13 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-23-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it and really enjoyed it. More violent than the first, better production, and overall better film. The abrupt ending was great, very Empire/Matrix as stated earlier.
Old 11-24-13, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Much better than the first, but still occasionally dull and not very deep. And it lacks the action set pieces and special fx I would expect from something comparable in the action or sci-fi department. (For example Prometheus was intensely stupid but it had great atmosphere).

I don't blame the filmmakers, this is all due to the source material.
Old 11-24-13, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,249 Likes on 4,270 Posts

I liked it a lot. Very faithful to the book (very!), but still worked well as a movie too. Much better production values and special effects this time around (those CGI effects of the Mutts in the first film? A distant memory now). Cast was pretty spot on : that was exactly how I pictured Finnick to be (and Joanna was pretty close too). Jeffrey Wright is probably over-qualified for a role like Beetee, but he made it work. Loved Elizabeth Banks and Staney Tucci again. Sutherland was better and more menacing this time around; he's a good villain.
I gave it a 4/5. Can't really imagine how they could have made it any better than what they did. The local paper review's headline was something like "Catching Fire is a much better film than it needs to be" and I think that's pretty much exactly right. It's a Quarter Pounder with Cheese made with Kobe beef.
Old 11-24-13, 05:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My favorite thing about the movie was jena Malone. Pissed off crazy girl. Such a turn on.
Old 11-24-13, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

I read the books and liked this one better than the first. But I still want a movie focused on Haymitch. He did a ton of work behind the scenes in this one and the first one, and it would be cool to see that wheeling and dealing take place, even if it's not explicitly in the books.
Old 11-24-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I did not really like the first one all that much, but I thought that this movie was terrific.
Old 11-24-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

This one did cast a little more light of behind the scenes stuff that couldn't really be known in the books because they were all told from Katniss' POV. One thing that struck was that:
Spoiler:
the games this time were all a ruse to get a hold of Katniss for the Revolution. It's obvious that using old tributes was Plutarch's idea in this, so such a notion can be inferred.
Old 11-24-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It was okaaaaay, c'mon on. First one's better.

A bunch of talking heads either conspiring to do harmful things or preparing to rebel. That's about it.

Oh, and even the hunger games this time were a let down. An old lady competing? Fog? A tidal wave? Tick-tock, tick-tock?

What's everyone so excited about that I'm not seeing?
Old 11-24-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I did not really like the first one all that much, but I thought that this movie was terrific.
I mostly would say that these are my sentiments as well.

I probably liked the first one a bit more, but not by a lot. However, I loved Catching Fire and will see it again in theaters at least one more time.
Old 11-24-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts

Saw this last night. Mediocre at best. I went with some friends who are big fans of the novel and they loved it. I was hoping I'd like this one more based on the reviews. It makes me feel like you have to read the books to like the movies. I've never read them and both movies just seemed very bland and paint-by-numbers to me.

Also, worst character names I've ever heard. Seriously.
Old 11-24-13, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
It was okaaaaay, c'mon on. First one's better.

A bunch of talking heads either conspiring to do harmful things or preparing to rebel. That's about it.

Oh, and even the hunger games this time were a let down. An old lady competing? Fog? A tidal wave? Tick-tock, tick-tock?

What's everyone so excited about that I'm not seeing?
I don't get it either. at two and half hours not a lot happens.
Old 11-25-13, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Also, worst character names I've ever heard. Seriously.
Plutarch? That's nice and subtle!
Old 11-25-13, 10:26 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only thing I didn't get (or missed):
Spoiler:
Why was everyone else 'in on it' except Katniss? Was there a viable reason within the story, aside from the need to withhold that information from the audience (us, not the audience watching the Games within the movie) for dramatic purposes?
Old 11-25-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Only thing I didn't get (or missed):
Spoiler:
Why was everyone else 'in on it' except Katniss? Was there a viable reason within the story, aside from the need to withhold that information from the audience (us, not the audience watching the Games within the movie) for dramatic purposes?
Well there was that clip in the beginning showing her being on camera while kissing her secret boyfriend. They also explained they couldn't trust that the president wasn't watching her at all times.
Old 11-25-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw it Saturday and I loved it. Never read the books but I think this is one time where that worked to my advantage because I didn't see the ending coming. I've read some reviews compare it to Empire, and while I see where they're coming from, I think it's closer to the book ending of HP & the Goblet of Fire. Having PSH and Woody Harrelson working together was genius. And that scene when Katniss wrapped the coil on her arrow and shot it at the dome as the lightning struck was the stand-up-and-cheer moment that I thought was missing from Man of Steel.

More Jena Malone in the sequel please.
Old 11-25-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For some reason the minute I saw PSH I figured he'd be helping her somehow. His "I will see you again" line clinched that for me. Was not surprised at all when the twist occurred.
Old 11-25-13, 12:13 PM

This seems to be a loved it or thought it was boring type movie. I am in the boring crowd, I caught myself notting off a few times half way through. I had the same problem with the first movie, the buildup to the actually games is not bad, but once you get to the games they both fall apart. The "game" part of both movies suck.
Old 11-25-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know it's from the books, but the running from the poison fog my made LOL. And then there's the poison monkeys! Or whatever they were.
Old 11-25-13, 01:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Well there was that clip in the beginning showing her being on camera while kissing her secret boyfriend. They also explained they couldn't trust that the president wasn't watching her at all times.
True, but surely somebody could have whispered in her ear or got her into a huddle or something along the way... especially since it seemed like everyone in their alliance was in on it except for her (and possibly Peta), making her a loose cannon as far as their plans went. Hell, she almost got herself killed with the stunt at the end... I'm sure that wasn't part of the plan.
Old 11-25-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While I liked the movie, I have read the books. This movie is illustrating how many adaptations of popular works are kind of lacking when trying to appeal outside of the circle of people who have read the source material.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.