Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paul Mantee R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paul Mantee R.I.P.

Just read that the star of Robinson Crusoe On Mars passed on Nov 7th. He was 82.

I met him and his RCoM co-star Victor Lundin (83, who passed in July this year) at a SD ComiCon many years ago. Both were very approachable and appreciated their fans. Spent about an hour just shooting the breeze with them.
Old 11-12-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Paul Mantee R.I.P.

Old 11-12-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
Just read that the star of Robinson Crusoe On Mars passed on Nov 7th. He was 82.

I met him and his RCoM co-star Victor Lundin (83, who passed in July this year) at a SD ComiCon many years ago. Both were very approachable and appreciated their fans. Spent about an hour just shooting the breeze with them.
Wow, amazing that they died the same year. Now the only surviving cast member is Adam West. Unless that chimp who was in the movie is still around.

Mantee went on to play standard-issue crime show villains on TV in the '70s and '80s and once wrote an article for TV Guide about how limiting it was to get typecast that way and how you could never bring anything different to the role.

P.S. I just remembered that he was one of the villains in Phil Karlson's FRAMED (1975) and Joe Don Baker tortures him--and worse--in what is arguably the film's most memorable scene.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-13-13 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

RIP

grew up watching this film (as well as Robinson Crusoe on Mars) on TV. Directed by Richard Rush. And even though he is the star he is 4th billed??

It also has one of the best "The End" of all time

Old 11-13-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RIP
Sadly attempting to make a joke with a correlation to a manatee.

Old 11-13-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
RIP

grew up watching this film (as well as Robinson Crusoe on Mars) on TV. Directed by Richard Rush. And even though he is the star he is 4th billed??

It also has one of the best "The End" of all time

This film is included in one of those "Coming from MGM" promotional ads made for theater owners. TCM shows it from time to time between movies. I've had TCM since 1998 and they've never shown it once. Waiting on Warner Archive.
Old 11-13-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The cast of A MAN CALLED DAGGER was a turn-off back in 1968. I mean, Jan Murray? Sue Ane Langdon? These were TV comedy actors. Who wanted to see them in an action movie? Terry Moore we only knew from when she was a teenager in MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, made 20 years earlier and seen only on TV. Mantee we only knew from ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS. None of us felt compelled to see this back then. Besides, the secret agent craze had already died down, esp. after 5 Bond films, 4 Matt Helm films, 3 Harry Palmer films, 2 Flint films, etc., etc., etc.
Old 11-13-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
RIP
Sadly attempting to make a joke with a correlation to a manatee.

Oh crap ... Wilfred Brimley finally died?