Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016, D: Yates) S: Redmayne

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016, D: Yates) S: Redmayne

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-15, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (New Potter Themed Film from J.K. Rowling

Why don't book fans like POA? I have read all the HP books and I thought that was the best movie adaptation. I thought that was the opinion of most people that POA was the best movie in the series?

The only thing I didn't like about the POA movie was
Spoiler:
that the movie left out the whole backstory of the Marauder's map and who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs were. I thought that was important backstory for Harry's father, and the movie should have included it. Everything else omitted from the book was trivial, but that wasn't. Knowing that James was an Animagus who could turn into a stag deer adds a lot of emotional weight to why Harry's Patronus takes the form of a stag, and the movies never mention that, and that is unfortunate.
Old 04-11-15, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (New Potter Themed Film from J.K. Rowling

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I expect he'll look something like this...

It's that or this...

Old 06-15-15, 12:44 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016, David Yates) S: Redmayne

With Eddie Redmayne set as the male lead for J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter spinoff “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” Warner Bros. is firming up the rest of the film’s cast.

“Inherent Vice” actress Katherine Waterston has landed one of the female leads opposite Redmayne in the first installment of the new franchise, which is being planned as a trilogy.

Waterston will play the pivotal role of Tina, short for Porpentina, a witch who — unlike the beloved characters from Rowling’s Harry Potter books — works her magic in the U.S. She meets magizoologist Newt Scamander (Redmayne) when he stops in New York City on his travels to find and document magical creatures.

Two pivotal roles in the film have yet to be cast: Queenie, Tina’s younger sister, and Jacob, a rival of Scamander’s.

The studio is said to be looking for more established faces for the spinoff, unlike the newcomers they discovered for the original “Harry Potter” franchise.

David Yates is directing with Rowling making her screenwriting debut on the trilogy.

Set in New York roughly seven decades before Harry Potter’s saga starts, “Fantastic Beasts” is based on the Hogwarts textbook of the same name and follows the adventures of its author, Newt Scamander. Scamander is described as a “magiczoologist,” which in the “Harry Potter” realm is a person who studies magical creatures. Besides Scamander, there are four other main roles — two American girls and two American boys — that the studio is looking to cast.

“Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for 17 years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the ‘Harry Potter’ series but an extension of the wizarding world,” Rowling explained.

The film is set to bow on Nov. 18, 2016.

Waterston is repped by UTA and Silver Lining Entertainment and can be seen next in Universal’s biopic “Jobs.”
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/fa...ff-1201500789/
Old 06-17-15, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Book fans don't like it because of trivial shit. It is the best movie of the series.
People like to state that as fact but I think POA is way way overrated.
Old 08-05-15, 01:39 PM

Re: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016, David Yates) S: Redmayne

This just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

Colin Farrell is the latest Muggle to join the cast of the upcoming Harry Potter spin-off Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, EW has confirmed.

The actor, currently starring in the second season of HBO’s True Detective, will join Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Ezra Miller, and Alison Sudol. According to the original report by The Hollywood Reporter, Farrell will play a wizard who encounters Newt Scamander (Redmayne) during his journey to study magical creatures in America.

The film, which is currently slated for a December 2016 release, will also boast a cadre of Harry Potter alums behind the camera, including director David Yates, producer David Heyman, and first-time screenwriter J.K. Rowling.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/05...s-harry-potter
Old 08-05-15, 02:25 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016, D: Yates) S: Redmayne

Eddie Redmayne has one of the most punchable faces in Hollywood.

"The Theory of Everything" was just okay. Glad to see he won an Oscar for doing a poor imitation of DDL in "My Left Foot."

If he were dead when that movie was made, Stephen Hawking would have rolled over in his grave. Oh, wait, no he wouldn't have.
Old 08-05-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

The last two Potter movies soured me on the franchise. Of course, looking back, the only genuinely good movie was the third one (though the fifth had its charms). And Yates is such a lousy director that I hold little hope for this spinoff. This needs a director with a visual flair and imagination. Yates has none of those qualities.
Old 08-05-15, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Nice!
Old 08-05-15, 04:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney

"The Theory of Everything" was just okay. Glad to see he won an Oscar for doing a poor imitation of DDL in "My Left Foot."

If he were dead when that movie was made, Stephen Hawking would have rolled over in his grave. Oh, wait, no he wouldn't have.
i'll always hate him for stealing the Oscar from Keaton. movie was so so at best...
Old 08-05-15, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney

Are you sure you watched either film?
Old 08-05-15, 08:22 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Are you sure you watched either film?
Yeah, pretty positive I did.
Old 08-05-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
It's that or this...

But probably not this...

Old 10-05-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

October 05, 2015 11:58am PT by Borys Kit
'Harry Potter' Spin-Off 'Fantastic Beasts' Casts Jon Voight (Exclusive)
Gemma Chan and Carmen Ejogo have also been cast in J.K. Rowling's 'Harry Potter' follow-up.

Gemma Chan, who stars in USA’s sci-fi thriller Humans, Selma actress Carmen Ejogo and Jon Voight have joined the cast of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Warner Bros.’s fantasy set in the world of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter.

The movie is currently shooting in England with Eddie Redmayne starring as Newt Scamander, the wizarding world’s preeminent magizoologist. (The events of Fantastic Beasts take place 70 years before Harry Potter reads Scamander’s book in his wizarding school.)

Among those already cast are Katherine Waterston, Ezra Miller, Colin Farrell, Dan Fogler and Samantha Morton.

David Yates is behind the camera as director working with a script penned by Rowling herself.

Character info for the latest trio to join the film was not revealed.

While Chan’s has primarily worked in television, her feature credits include appearances in Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit and London Fields, the latter a femme fatale thriller that made headlines in September when it was pulled from the line-up at the Toronto Film Festival due to a legal dispute. She is repped by UTA, Schachter Entertainment, and U.K.’s Independent Talent Group.

Ejogo, who played Coretta Scott King in Ava DuVernay’s Selma, will next be seen opposite Ethan Hawke in the upcoming Born To Be Blue, the biopic of Chet Baker. She is repped by ICM Partners, Management 360, and U.K.’s Conway van Gelder Grant.

Voight is the veteran actor who’s currently appearing in Showtime’s Ray Donovan. He is repped by CAA.
Old 10-09-15, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Ron Perlman Gets Sorted Into Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
BY SPENCER PERRY ON OCTOBER 8, 2015

The Hollywood Reporter brings word that the Beast of the Apocalypse himself, Ron Perlman (Hellboy, “Sons of Anarchy”), has joined the cast of Warner Bros. “Harry Potter” spin-off film, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Perlman will reportedly play a goblin in the film, which is currently filming in England.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is set to star Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston, Alison Sudol, Ezra Miller, Dan Fogler, Colin Farrell, Jon Voight, Carmen Ejogo, Gemma Chan, Jenn Murray and newcomer Faith Wood-Blagrove. The David Yates-directed film follows Newt Scamander (Redmayne), the Wizarding World’s preeminent magizoologist, who in his travels has encountered and documented a myriad of magical creatures, ultimately leading to his penning the Hogwarts School textbook “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is being produced by David Heyman, producer of all eight of the blockbuster Harry Potter features; J.K. Rowling; Steve Kloves, who scripted all but one of the Harry Potter films; and Lionel Wigram, who served as an executive producer on the last four installments of the franchise. Rowling herself is supplying the screenplay.

Warner Bros. Pictures has the first Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them set for a worldwide release in 3D and IMAX on November 18, 2016.
Old 11-04-15, 08:09 AM

Old 11-04-15, 08:58 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i'll always hate him for stealing the Oscar from Keaton. movie was so so at best...
Yeah, but it was for Birdman. So I'm glad he didn't get it.

Redmayne looks almost normal here. No handicap or crossdressing in this one apparently.
Old 11-04-15, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I didn't think Redmayne was all that amazing in Theory of Everything, but then neither was Keaton in Birdman. So I was kind of a wash on it, I would have preferred Keaton win but neither really deserved it outright. Didn't care for either movie, though Birdman was the more technically impressive of the two.
Old 11-04-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Keaton will be back in the conversation next year with the Ray Kroc movie.
Old 11-04-15, 10:45 AM

Old 11-04-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

The most anticipated movie of 2016? I find that really hard to believe.
Old 11-04-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Indeed. My vote goes to My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. Pfft.
Old 11-04-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ron Perlman (Hellboy, “Sons of Anarchy”), has joined the cast of Warner Bros. “Harry Potter” spin-off film, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
Oh ffs

Perlman will reportedly play a goblin in the film
Good, maybe he won't be recognizable. Because he pulls me out of every movie I see him in.
Old 11-04-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The last two Potter movies soured me on the franchise. Of course, looking back, the only genuinely good movie was the third one (though the fifth had its charms). And Yates is such a lousy director that I hold little hope for this spinoff. This needs a director with a visual flair and imagination. Yates has none of those qualities.
Askhaban is incredibly overrated. I actually think it is one of the worst Potter movies. It was missing all the joy of the Potter universe.

Having said that, ALL of them couple have been much better to be honest.

I think a GOT like treatment of the Harry Potter books could be really successful in a few years.

There is also 100% possibility that the new play gets made into a couple pictures, likely with the original main cast.
Old 11-04-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Azkaban was the first to get serious with an adult-y tone. It was directed by Cuaron and had some amazing cinematic stuff going on. The first two were fluff in comparison. I think that's why it gets its praise.

For some reason, I never got around to watching the final Harry Potter movie.
Old 11-04-15, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like Azkaban because it's a film. A flawed one, yes, but not a stiffly filmed and overly literal pageant of the book like Columbus made. Most HP fans I know hate the hell out of it for hacking up the novel though. I think it's gorgeous-looking and feels like a proper fantasy film, marvelous if lite. But I'm in the minority. I wish there'd been another film in the series like that. I liked what Newell did with GOF too, he and Cuaron brought a little distinctiveness that the franchise was otherwise severely lacking, IMO. The actress they picked for Umbrage looked horrifyingly like a teacher I had in high school, .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.