Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

YAIPF (Yet Another Ip Man Film): "Ip Man - The Final Fight"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this on CinemaNow the other day and was surprised that this was the major release that it is. It's got a name that makes it sound like a direct-to-video type of release, unfortunately, but it was the opening film of the 37th Hong Kong International Film Festival.

It doesn't come out in North American theaters until Sept 20, 2013, but it's already available on-demand in select regions.

Here's my take on the film.

Has anybody else seen this? It's pretty decent, even though it's not a straight-up action film as the title might suggest.
Old 08-26-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: YAIPF (Yet Another Ip Man Film): "Ip Man - The Final Fight"

I didn't hate it as much as Grandmaster but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know if this needs a spoiler--but the one thing that bothered me was

Spoiler:
they showed a clip of Bruce Lee in the beginning and when Ip Man meets up with him the actor they got to portray Bruce was horrible. He didn't look like Bruce or act like him. Took me out of the movie completely. Just bad casting I guess
Old 08-26-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: YAIPF (Yet Another Ip Man Film): "Ip Man - The Final Fight"

I could have sworn we had a thread for this particular Ip Man film. Or was it merely mentioned one of the several other Ip Man movie threads?