Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (D: Stiller; S: Stiller, Wiig, Penn, MacLaine)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (D: Stiller; S: Stiller, Wiig, Penn, MacLaine)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Re: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (D: Stiller; S: Stiller, Wiig, Penn, MacLa

Originally Posted by dex14
Sounds like you need to lay off DVDTalk

Bite me
Old 10-08-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (D: Stiller; S: Stiller, Wiig, Penn, MacLa

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm guessing WOM is "word of mouth" and "OTC"..."off the chain"? Assuming he meant to write "is" and not "if".
OTC is I believe Off the Charts. You'll have to ask a hipster for confirmation.
Old 11-19-13, 08:16 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually saw this last night and a private screening, not bad one of those feel good enjoy our life time of films. Basic plot is Ben Stiller plays a guy who works in the photo archives department of Life Magazine he's in charge of all the photo negatives, he sits in a dark room and looks at all the cool pictures and wonders where his life went, he's worked there for sixteen years. He admires a photog played by Sean Penn who is very reclusive but from his photos he's had a more interesting life. They've never met. He has a crush on a girl who works in the accounts department played by Kristin Wiig although they never really talk and he signs up for a dating site to send her a "wink". One day it's told Life magazine will be dissolving and there will only be Life Online most of the staff will lose their jobs, he hopes he won't be one of them but he lost the final cover photo for Life magazine so it's possible he might, his boss played by Adam Scott is a dick and calls Walt out every time he begins to daydream. So he doesn't get known as the guy who lost the final cover photo of Life magazine he tracks down Sean Penn to try and recover an alternate print and the adventure begins...

I give it like three stars out of five.
Old 12-04-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Just got back from a screening with Patton Oswalt in attendance at the Alamo Drafthouse in Loudon. I liked it, and it was better than I thought it would be, since I thought the story would overly rely on him zoning out. Patton Oswalt answered some questions and was pretty funny.
Old 12-05-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,210 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Judging only by the trailer I have to assume this movie is a dark and disturbing film about a man slowly descending into madness. I'm guessing the final scene is of Ben Stiller sitting in the corner of a cold, dank, cell rocking back and forth and giggling while wearing a straight jacket.

I predict a lot more suicides this holiday season thanks to this movie...
Old 12-05-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just back from a screening as well. I'm convinced there is a great movie in there somewhere, but the pacing is so uneven and a shitload needs to be trimmed. Long moments of watching the screen waiting for something to happen, anything! It is a beautiful movie though, I'll give it that. And there's a part about Benjamin Button that was incredibly funny, wish it had more off-beat bits like that.
Old 12-26-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just got back from a morning screening and it was damn good. It was a lot of fun, sentimental, had lots of adventure and soul searching, etc. I do like the fact that the more fantastical elements (the shit in the trailer) were only there as flourishes - they didn't dominate the film at all. My favorite scene of the film was:
Spoiler:
Kristen Wiig singing "Major Tom."

This one will probably go on my top-10. We'll see.
Old 12-26-13, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. RT doesn't favor it so well.
Old 12-27-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Split reviews by critics.

I went to see this with the family: wife and daughters (7 and 14), and everyone loved the movie.

The thing I liked the most is the photography, of course. Really great shots there. Miller was great as Mitty, and I just found out that I love Penn.
Old 12-27-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Raul3
Split reviews by critics.

I went to see this with the family: wife and daughters (7 and 14), and everyone loved the movie.

The thing I liked the most is the photography, of course. Really great shots there. Miller was great as Mitty, and I just found out that I love Penn.
Stiller
Old 12-27-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got back from this. Much better than I expected, but I did go in with low expectations. As a fantasy for adults, it's pretty enjoyable.

The constant product shilling was absolutely terrible though.
Old 12-28-13, 12:17 AM
Banned

Product shillin?
Old 12-28-13, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
and I just found out that I love Penn.
The Falcon & the Snowman
Carlito's Way
Mystic River
21 Grams
Dead Man Walking
At Close Range
Sweet and Lowdown
Bad Boys
Colors
The Thin Red Line
Casualties of War
This Must Be the Place
U Turn
The Game
The Assassination of Richard Nixon
The Tree of Life

The guy is amazing.

Last edited by inri222; 12-28-13 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-28-13, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Just got back from this. Much better than I expected, but I did go in with low expectations. As a fantasy for adults, it's pretty enjoyable.

I didn't even know Stretch Armstrong had an advertising budget anymore.
Old 12-28-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Off the top of my head, Cinnabon, Papa Johns, eHarmony, etc. He mentions how he really likes eHarmony's matching mechanism. And how great Cinnabon is. Neither of those were central to the story. (You could argue Papa's was, at least).
Old 12-28-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think DF's review nails it.

http://badassdigest.com/2013/12/23/s...ve-hated-this/
Old 12-28-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Off the top of my head, Cinnabon, Papa Johns, eHarmony, etc. He mentions how he really likes eHarmony's matching mechanism. And how great Cinnabon is. Neither of those were central to the story. (You could argue Papa's was, at least).
eHarmony (well, the matchmaking element not the product) was important when you consider Patton Oswalt's character bailing him out and reaffirming him and all that crap. I read that the script was already written and they asked eHarmony for permission to use the name. They replied "We don't have guys constantly calling you about your profile, but it's a positive portrayal, so we'll agree." Then in real life it inspired them to come up with a $5000 a year service doing something similar.

With that in mind, yeah eHarmony could have been a generic matchmaking service, considering they completely misrepresented the product.

As for Papa John's, as you said it was important to the story, and wouldn't work with a generic store. Patton Oswalt addressed this too in the Q&A.

Cinnabon, yeah that was useless.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-28-13 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-28-13, 01:57 PM
Banned

I didn't mind the real places they used. Made that world more real.

I really liked the film. It ALMOST falls in cliche standard but it reels back a bit before it does so for me. Really sweet and positive film. I like how Stiller directed it. Really pretty and natural imagery. The zoning out bits were really well controlled as well. I'll get the BD for sure. Not sure how this thing has low RT scoring.
Old 12-28-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I didn't mind the real places they used. Made that world more real.

I really liked the film. It ALMOST falls in cliche standard but it reels back a bit before it does so for me. Really sweet and positive film. I like how Stiller directed it. Really pretty and natural imagery. The zoning out bits were really well controlled as well. I'll get the BD for sure. Not sure how this thing has low RT scoring.
Agreed. That was my biggest fear (it makes no mistake as to how on the nose it is) that they would use those fantasy elements as a crutch. I'll tell you this much the trailer and marketing materials made it seem that it would be Stiller zoning out for 90 minutes. I'm glad it wasn't the case. The Major Tom sequence is still my favorite - just lovely.
Old 12-28-13, 09:10 PM
Banned

Yeah. I think KW is cute already but her singing that song made her that much more attractive to me.
Old 12-28-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Yeah. I think KW is cute already but her singing that song made her that much more attractive to me.

She, strangely enough, looks like Jennifer Anniston. Like her cute cousin or something. IDK.

I agree on your comment, though.
Old 12-28-13, 11:50 PM
Banned

I don't think i see it but maybe kind of sorta i can. She's a lot more talented than Aniston. So that's make her much more awesome.
Old 12-29-13, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To me, using Space Oddity felt like more of a crutch than any of the product placement. He didn't need a popular song to emphasize his plight or have his love interest blatantly sing it to him in order to get on a fucking helicopter. Felt a bit cheap to have it used in that respect.
Old 12-29-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast
To me, using Space Oddity felt like more of a crutch than any of the product placement. He didn't need a popular song to emphasize his plight or have his love interest blatantly sing it to him in order to get on a fucking helicopter. Felt a bit cheap to have it used in that respect.
He needed the kick in the ass. The movie and his journey would have been over right then and there. They also foreshadowed it before when they were talking in Central Park. Major Tom came into the topic of discussion and whatnot. I thought it was a perfect set-up.
Old 12-29-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get the usage throughout the beginning and the motivation but I dunno it just seemed a bit off. Love the song.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.