Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Beyond [no colon] (2016, D: Justin Lin)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Trek Beyond [no colon] (2016, D: Justin Lin)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Star Trek Beyond [no colon] (2016, D: Justin Lin)

Originally Posted by PatD
Why does Star Trek have to be lobotomized and turned into Michael Bay-ified Star Wars-in-drag? Why can't Paramount hire someone of the calibre of Christopher Nolan or Joss Whedon to helm a project representing a franchise that's nearly half a century old? Why are movies based on comic books or YA novels treated (on the average) with a more serious and, dare I say, reverent tone? The creative minds behind Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, Batman, The fucking Avengers treated their source material (and audience) with more respect and they exploded in the box office.

While creative teams behind TOS, TNG, and DS9 didn't produce great episodes 100% of the time, they aimed for excellence and worked hard to put out a good product. Why is is it such a goddamned stretch to make something that's smart *and* explosively entertaining? Why does Star Trek have to slum it in order to be popular?
Old 12-23-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Brain, brain what is brain!?!"

Yeah that was aiming for excellence.
Old 12-23-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
"Brain, brain what is brain!?!"

Yeah that was aiming for excellence.
Third season episodes don't count.
Old 12-23-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Neither do first season TNG.
Old 12-23-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's be honest. Most Trek episodes don't count. For every in depth, thoughtfull, storyline there are more that take the shows into guilty pleasure territory. It's why so many people, including fans, tend to cherry pick episodes to revisit.
Old 12-23-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 346 Posts

Neither do first season TNG.
I watched Angel One last night and the clothes that Riker wore made my eyes bleed.
Old 12-23-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone remember the TNG episode where Worf is walking through the woods (hunting?) and another Klingon suddenly attacks him? Yeah, which episode was that? Not sure if it was holodeck.
Old 12-23-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Let's be honest. Most Trek episodes don't count. For every in depth, thoughtfull, storyline there are more that take the shows into guilty pleasure territory. It's why so many people, including fans, tend to cherry pick episodes to revisit.
Not every comic book belonging to Batman, Superman, Spider-man and so forth was A+ material over the many decades they've been around (or the movies and tv shows based on them), but the public expects better from them. Why is Star Trek held to such a lower standard?

Last edited by PatD; 12-23-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

It isn't, and most acknowledge the flaws in those franchises you mention quite regularly. Though Star Trek was a little more evenly hit/miss.
Old 12-23-14, 12:50 PM

You want to talk about something that's also evenly hit and miss? Star Wars. But, it's still treated as a cultural touchstone. And people aren't like: "Well, The Empire Strikes Back is great, but it doesn't count because of the Prequel Trilogy."

Now, I'm not staying Trek has had as big a cultural impact as Wars, but it's half a century old. It deserves better than a guy who did a couple of the Fast and Furious sequels. Not even the original movie, just like what? 5 and 6.
Old 12-23-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good grief, here we go again with the PatD whining.

ST is also a "cultural touchstone".

Tell me when Nolan decides to do a SW movie.
Old 12-23-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,670 Likes on 2,638 Posts

You want to talk about something that's also evenly hit and miss? Star Wars. But, it's still treated as a cultural touchstone. And people aren't like: "Well, The Empire Strikes Back is great, but it doesn't count because of the Prequel Trilogy."

Now, I'm not staying Trek has had as big a cultural impact as Wars, but it's half a century old. It deserves better than a guy who did a couple of the Fast and Furious sequels. Not even the original movie, just like what? 5 and 6.
He directed 4 of the 7 movies, which have grossed over $2 billion worldwide.

Lin isn't some "hack" filmmaker who is all about action and special FX with no character development. He got his start in the Indie film circuit. He's been credited as the director who brought new life to a franchise that was essentially left for dead.

It's amazing how some here love to tear apart a director (and some without even seeing any of their movies) when the guy(s) responsible for the script don't get nearly as much criticism. I don't think we've seen any news yet on how the credited writers for this sequel will be yet.
Old 12-23-14, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's amazing how some here love to tear apart a director (and some without even seeing any of their movies) when the guy(s) responsible for the script don't get nearly as much criticism. I don't think we've seen any news yet on how the credited writers for this sequel will be yet.
Don't get me started on Orci, Kurtzman, and Lindelof. They couldn't write themselves out of a wet paper bag if they had used scalpels instead of pens.
Old 12-23-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

You mean the guy that killed Fast and Furious, and then resurrected it as a more popular-than-ever Heist series and got his start by making an all Asian high school movie on his own maxed out credit cards? He may not be the best director in the world, but I don't think he necessarily deserves to get slumped with some other names thrown around. I didn't even like the Fast and Furious sequels but still think he's a decent enough director.

I guess my point is, I think it's the writers that are holding the reboot franchise back a little. And it may be better having Lin take over, since he has obvious skill with big budgets, JJ will still be producing and keeping an eye on things, and maybe since he's slightly removed from the whole thing, may finally push back on some idiocy in the scripts.

Or it could be a disaster.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-23-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 01:09 PM

ST is also a "cultural touchstone".
I said Star WARS. Reading comprehension--geez.
Old 12-23-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Nemesis gets torn apart here by the Star Trek nerds and Stuart Baird gets shit on for it. But, he didn't write the damn movie. I have never seen anyone criticize John Logan, who wrote the damn script!

Logan has however become a better writer since then with Penny Dreadful and of course SkyFall.
Old 12-23-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not every comic book belonging to Batman, Superman, Spider-man and so forth was A+ material over the many decades they've been around (or the movies and tv shows based on them), but the public expects better from them. Why is Star Trek held to such a lower standard?
You must live in a different public than I do. The public I am a part of simply expects their comics and comic based movies to be fun to read/watch.
Old 12-23-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good grief, here we go again with the PatD whining.
So it is a thing. Thought I was the only one seeing a pattern.
Old 12-23-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I said Star WARS. Reading comprehension--geez.
Yes, and STAR TREK IS ALSO A CULTURAL TOUCHSTONE. I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU!
Old 12-23-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Nemesis gets torn apart here by the Star Trek nerds and Stuart Baird gets shit on for it. But, he didn't write the damn movie. I have never seen anyone criticize John Logan, who wrote the damn script!

Logan has however become a better writer since then with Penny Dreadful and of course SkyFall.
True, but at least John Logan was a fan...Stuart Baird admitted he didn't know anything about Star Trek, and if you ever listen to the commentary track, he can't even remember some of the characters' names. Logan's original script was reportedly very good, but most of the good stuff got cut before shooting.
Old 12-23-14, 01:43 PM

Yes, and STAR TREK IS ALSO A CULTURAL TOUCHSTONE. I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU!
My apologies.
Old 12-23-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Officially announced, will be released July 8, 2016

http://deadline.com/2014/12/star-tre...in-1201334534/
Old 12-23-14, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. That's my birthday.
Old 12-23-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,419 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I can't help but feel this is going to be a shit-show. I don't want it to fail, I wanted to see a nice, adventure filled cinematic trilogy that would reignite interest in the franchise so it could relaunch its presence on TV. All this drama is making me fear for a loud, shallow film that will do great the first few weeks but then become an afterthought in the Trek family.
Old 12-23-14, 05:36 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

is Lin a fan of the franchise? it may make the difference between balls to the wall reverent fun, or brainless, soulless generic summer action flick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.