Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-13, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Untitled Superman & Batman Film (2015) (D: Snyder; S: Cavill, Affleck)

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
Most folks complained about Parallax being a huge cloud.
Yes, and it was well deserved. The movie completely butchered the character of Parallax just like how the Fantastic Four movie butchered Galactus by turning him into a cloud.
Old 08-24-13, 05:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I like Patton Oswalt's Facebook response to the nerd rage over the Affleck casting:
excellent!
Old 08-24-13, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too old. Besides, I actually like Reynolds as Hal Jordan. The movie was done pretty well from a production standpoint, but the storytelling could've been a little smoother. Most folks complained about Parallax being a huge cloud, but I guess they missed the part where the essence of fear consumed him as a Guardian. As time went on, he lost more of his original self.

I really want WB to suck it up, and do another "Green Lantern" movie. The franchise has a lot of creative potential for the screen, and for once, we have a hero who actually fights his doubts on a regular basis, instead of dwelling on them. I'd personally put that film in third place, behind "Man of Steel" and "Batman Begins".
From a production standpoint it still failed. You have a director who is a great workman but not a visionary type. CGI was mediocre, Imageworks just sucks, and etc. I've no issue with Reynolds. His fault was the script and direction. It was a film that lacked imagination where imagination is a big part of that character. The script was horrid. The best part of that movie was Mark Strong.
Old 08-24-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
From a production standpoint it still failed. You have a director who is a great workman but not a visionary type. CGI was mediocre, Imageworks just sucks, and etc. I've no issue with Reynolds. His fault was the script and direction. It was a film that lacked imagination where imagination is a big part of that character. The script was horrid. The best part of that movie was Mark Strong.
Agreed.
Old 08-24-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I wish the internet would have been publicly available when Keaton was cast in 89. If they could get 50,000 letters back then imagine what would happen today.
Old 08-24-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 703 Posts

They should make John Stewart the GL in Justice League and dump Cyborg for Martian Manhunter. They can throw in a line that Hal Jordan is off on Oa or something.
Old 08-24-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

I'd prefer that they use Cyborg if we're choosing between characters. I like Martian Manhunter too, but Cyborg is slightly cooler to me. Also agreed that they should dump Hal Jordan for now until a successful Justice League or new Green Lantern film is made. I'd be fine with doing John Stewart.
Old 08-24-13, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I thought it had tons of imagination, like Hal using his ring to create a catapult for that oil tanker, then blowing it up in Parallax's face with a minigun. The racetrack scene was cool too, plus Hal's training with Kilowog, Tomar-Re, and Sinestro.
Old 08-24-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it had tons of imagination, like Hal using his ring to create a catapult for that oil tanker, then blowing it up in Parallax's face with a minigun. The racetrack scene was cool too, plus Hal's training with Kilowog, Tomar-Re, and Sinestro.

That's actually what one of the major problems were with the film. He used the ring to come up with shitty and childish things to fight the bad guys with. Seriously, a car racetrack? It's like they made the film for 4 year-olds.
Old 08-24-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Trust me guys, if the Superman/Batman movie turns out to be bad, it will be Snyder's fault, not Affleck's.

A lot of people didn't like Man of Steel, but I don't know many who thought it was because of the acting.
Old 08-24-13, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's actually what one of the major problems were with the film. He used the ring to come up with shitty and childish things to fight the bad guys with. Seriously, a car racetrack? It's like they made the film for 4 year-olds.
He was a novice, having only possessed the ring for a few days. Its not like the other members of the Corps, who'd had tons of experience.
Old 08-24-13, 09:23 PM
Banned

Why does everyone want John Stewart? Kyle Rayner is the best Green Lantern!!

There should be a Guy Gardner cameo just so they could work in a one-punch joke.
Old 08-24-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Because everyone remembers John Stewart as an awesome Green Lantern from the JL/JLU animated series but forget that, prior to that, he was a crappy Green Lantern in the actual comics.
Old 08-24-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer

There should be a Guy Gardner cameo just so they could work in a one-punch joke.
Hal Jordan or John Stewart are the most memorable Green Lanterns that some casual fans might have (and I mean might have) heard of.
Old 08-24-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Trust me guys, if the Superman/Batman movie turns out to be bad, it will be Goyer's fault, not Affleck's.

A lot of people didn't like Man of Steel, but I don't know many who thought it was because of the acting.
fixed
Old 08-24-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Trust me guys, if the Superman/Batman movie turns out to be bad, it will be Snyder's fault, not Affleck's.

This
Old 08-24-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He was a novice, having only possessed the ring for a few days. Its not like the other members of the Corps, who'd had tons of experience.
And that's all he could come up with? Lame and boring.
Old 08-24-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He made the race track though because he used the toy that was in his nephew's room earlier in the movie. It makes sense from that perspective.
Old 08-24-13, 11:13 PM
Banned

He used what was available to him at the time with that oil truck. Besides, what would you do in such a situation? Faced with a grave threat, your mind's not exactly firing on all cylinders. Hal didn't have time to think; it was react quickly or be destroyed. The payoff was great, with him knocking Parallax into the sun.
Old 08-25-13, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Patton oswaltis spot on
Old 08-25-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'd prefer that they use Cyborg if we're choosing between characters. I like Martian Manhunter too, but Cyborg is slightly cooler to me. Also agreed that they should dump Hal Jordan for now until a successful Justice League or new Green Lantern film is made. I'd be fine with doing John Stewart.
Cyborg in the Justice League just seems wrong. He's a Titan.

I like the idea of Martian Manhunter being in there, though he presents some problems if he's too close to the comics in that he's too close to Superman in a lot of ways.

I'd take MM and physically depower him; probably keep him in his skinnier "Martian" form and play up his mental, invisibility, and shape-shifting abilities. His fear of fire, is an interesting character trait.
Old 08-25-13, 01:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I like the idea of Martian Manhunter being in there, though he presents some problems if he's too close to the comics in that he's too close to Superman in a lot of ways.

I'd take MM and physically depower him; probably keep him in his skinnier "Martian" form and play up his mental, invisibility, and shape-shifting abilities. His fear of fire, is an interesting character trait.
Don't forget his affinity for Oreos.
Old 08-25-13, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Eh. He didn't need 5 pages for that really. 3 pages of that were basically saying the exact same thing. The irony is that the people he's directing that tirade to won't get past the 2nd page.
Old 08-25-13, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, I thought it was pretty stupid too. You'd think someone who just received a power ring wouldn't have time to think about constructing elaborate Hot Wheels race tracks to save a falling helicopter or whatever it was. More than likely it would just be a tractor beam, or something more simple. As the film progresses we would see how Hal needs to develop more complex constructs in order for them to stay tangible.

The special effects looked pretty bad too compared to films like Thor. Look at Asgard and look at Oa. The guardians themselves looked pretty fake. They acted like ominous greys sitting at thrones that were way too high for them. Yoda from the old Star Wars films looked more convincing.

Parallax cold have been cool. If they were going to spend time on something CGI, why not an actual gold colored creature instead of a giant poop cloud with a face? Some gigantic Giger-esque creature.

And they tried to cover too much in one film. Introducing Sinestro as well as showing his turn in the after-credits-scene, Hal Jordan's origin, the big head villain guy's origin, Hal's training, and Parallax. Should have been like this:

1st film: Kind of like Top Gun for the first third of the film, Sinestro as Hal's stuck up but honorable mentor, and maybe Atrocitus as the main villain. Do not show all the GLC.

2nd film: First third of the film shows Hal among his fellow Green Lanterns, visiting other planets, etc. Then the Guardians task Hal with investigating what's going on at Sinestro's and we find out that Sinestro is a tyrant and it's a battle between those two, ends with Sinestro's trial.

3rd film: Film starts out with Sinestro somehow escaped and is a fugitive but not too worried since he has no power ring. If anything he's a dead man walking since all the Korugan's have a bounty on his head. Then Sinesto returns with not only a yellow power ring, but leads an onslaught against Oa with his own Corps of yellow ring bearers who thrive on fear, not on will power. Finding out that the yellow impurity that was installed by the Guardians to safeguard against rogue lanterns was actually the fear entity Parallax whose existence Sinestro discovered while incarcerated and found a way to communicate with.

Sinestro's part in the story could kind of be like how Anakin's turn to the dark side should have been. But Mark Strong was perfectly cast as Sinestro. Everyone else, no.

Last edited by brayzie; 08-25-13 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 02:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't need tons of experience to come up with a better imagination. It was mediocre in the worst. Hit all the cliche beats and etc. the film was the most generic of a film that I've seen for such reasons. There was no suspense, drama, surprise, and so much more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.