Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 01:10 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 410 Likes on 256 Posts
Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Heath Ledger is in better shape that most people posting in this thread.
too soon
Old 09-11-15, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
A small flashback to the Wayne's murder does not mean it's an origin movie. It's more like Tim Burton's Batman than Batman Begins. It's been said repeatedly that this is not an origin movie.

Sure, you can argue that a flashback to the Wayne's murder isn't needed at all, but we don't know the context to which it will be used it the movie. Maybe it is needed. Maybe there will be some "have you danced with the devil in the pale moonlight" kind of revelation that is necessary for the flashback. We simply do not know yet.

Ben Affleck is only 43. He will be early 50s by the time the third JLA movie arrives. That's not that old. Robert Downey Jr is early 50s now and is doing well as Iron Man.
You need context to have a reason to understand that we already know his parents are dead? I'm sure the script could taken that out and did some roll around to not have it. It's redundant to show us that moment again. It's pretty much ingrained in pop culture by now.
Old 09-11-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You need context to have a reason to understand that we already know his parents are dead? I'm sure the script could taken that out and did some roll around to not have it. It's redundant to show us that moment again. It's pretty much ingrained in pop culture by now.
I think it's because deep down, Snyder WANTS to make a Batman movie--he obviously worships Nolan and his take on it--so this is basically turning out to be a glorified Batman movie disguised as a prequel to Justice League which happens to have a Superman cameo.
Old 09-11-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, the point I am bringing up has already been discussed and resolved in the thread, but I insist on being heard, dammit!
Batffleck can drive nails with his penis and tow 747s with his nipples. However, the plot of the movie revolves around a Batman who retired because he was too old and injured to continue crimefighting.

Also, Brad Pitt does not actually age backwards and the only metal bones that have ever been in Hugh Jackman were purchased at Good Vibrations.
Old 09-11-15, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
Batffleck can drive nails with his penis and tow 747s with his nipples. However, the plot of the movie revolves around a Batman who retired because he was too old and injured to continue crimefighting.

Also, Brad Pitt does not actually age backwards and the only metal bones that have ever been in Hugh Jackman were purchased at Good Vibrations.
I don't think the reason why Batfleck retired has ever been stated, has it? I don't think it's necessarily because he is too old and/or too injured. (Otherwise why would he come back at all?) I think it probably has more to do with people around him dying. We saw the dead Robin memorial in the trailer, and there are also rumors
Spoiler:
that Jim Gordon is dead too
Maybe he felt responsible for getting them killed or something and decided to call it quits.
Old 09-11-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,188 Likes on 924 Posts

It hasn't been specifically stated why but I'm sure there are a variety of reasons. Either way I do think it is sort of an odd place to start the character as coming out of being retired. In my opinion they should have just made it where he was around for a while before the other characters and still active if they wanted an older Batman.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-11-15 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-11-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We saw the dead Robin memorial in the trailer, and there are also rumors
Spoiler:
that Jim Gordon is dead too
Maybe he felt responsible for getting them killed or something and decided to call it quits.
The first one may have been on his watch and a contributing factor to his retirement. But the second is the Metropolis Marvel's fault and the reason Batman comes out of retirement.

Man, just typing that paragraph has really made anxious to never see this film. Seriously, I just want nothing to do with Snyder and the hot mess WB is hell-bent on unleashing into cineplexes.
Old 09-11-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
It hasn't been specifically stated why but I'm sure there are a variety of reasons. Either way I do think it is sort of an odd place to start the character as coming out of being retired. In my opinion they should have just made it where he was around for a while before the other characters and still active if they wanted an older Batman.
I agree, but they seem really keen on using The Dark Knight Returns as their source. It is one of the character's most popular stories.
Old 09-18-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

So this is pretty big news. Bill Finger is getting television & film credit on Gotham and Batman v Superman. It's a good step from DC & Warners.

The co-creator of Batman and many of the concepts and characters there-in is finally getting the credit he deserves. Bill Finger will now receive official credit from DC Entertainment on film and television projects based on Batman and his other creations, like Robin, Catwoman, and The Joker. The credit will first show on Gotham season 2 and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

For years, Bob Kane has received sole credit for the creation of Batman and his co-horts, due to a deal he signed in 1939. That has included comic books, TV, video games, and film - any adaptations or new works featuring Batman have said simply, "created by Bob Kane."

Writer Marc Tyler Nobleman has been working tirelessly to help change that, with a book called "Bill the Boy Wonder," and talks at book festivals, comic book conventions, and more. The writer worked directly with Finger's family, trying to help him get the due credit.

DC Entertainment made an official statement to THR on the new change.

"DC Entertainment and the family of Bill Finger are pleased to announce that they have reached an agreement that recognizes Mr. Finger’s significant contributions to the Batman family of characters. “Bill Finger was instrumental in developing many of the key creative elements that enrich the Batman universe, and we look forward to building on our acknowledgement of his significant role in DC Comics’ history,” stated Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment. “As part of our acknowledgement of those contributions,” Nelson continued, “we are pleased to confirm today that Bill Finger will be receiving credit in the Warner Bros. television series Gotham beginning later this season, and in the forthcoming motion picture Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."

We've reached out to DC Entertainment to find out whether this will also be applied to DC Comics bearing Batman's name and characters - they currently print "Batman created by Bob Kane" in the title/credits page of comics featuring the character.
http://comicbook.com/2015/09/18/bill...an-v-superman/
Old 09-18-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

I agree. He's been long ignored.
Old 09-18-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts

Max Landis' take on what his Man of Steel sequel would have been...

<iframe src="//www.break.com/embed/2889714?embed=1" width="464" height="280" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 09-18-15, 02:12 PM
Banned

Soooooo what was up w/ the Kane deal? He had it contracted that for a number of years only he got credit or what?
Old 09-18-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Soooooo what was up w/ the Kane deal? He had it contracted that for a number of years only he got credit or what?
Back when Siegel and Shuster wanted to get the rights to Superman back, they thought Kane might be an ally and asked him to join the suit they were planning to file against DC (They believed his deal at DC was about to be up, and figured he would want rights to Batman back as well).

Instead, Kane ran to DC and told them what Siegel and Shuster were planning. After getting on DC's good side by warning them that this was going to happen, he managed to renegotiate his contract with DC to get a higher page fee as an artist, a percentage of the rights to Batman and a credit as Batman's sole creator.
I'm not sure for how long the deal was supposed to last though.

I assume if it supposed to be "Bob Kane will always be referred to as the only creator", his estate would be suing right now. So I'm not sure if that was the case. If it was the case, maybe it only applied to comics? I dunno.
Old 09-18-15, 02:52 PM
Banned

Fucking hell. Please don't tell me it was actually as sinister as you made it out to be. Goddamn. Sounds like Kane was a bastard.
Old 09-18-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 374 Likes on 268 Posts

I believe Kane's father was also a lawyer and told DC (or what it National at the time?) that Kane was underage when he created Batman, so any contract for the rights might have been null and void. So they were extra motivated to appease him.
Old 09-18-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Fucking hell. Please don't tell me it was actually as sinister as you made it out to be. Goddamn. Sounds like Kane was a bastard.
It gets better.
In the 60's, Bill Finger started to talk about his contributions to Batman*. When Kane heard about this, he sent a scathing letter to Batman fan magazine Batmania.

The Myth: Bob Kane is not the sole creator of "Batman." (I've heard this a thousand times in my lifetime), that "Batman" was really created by Bill Finger, Jerry Robinson, Carmine Infantino, Jack Schiff, Julie Schwartz, my publisher, etc., etc., and my housekeeper!

The Truth: All hogwash! I, Bob Kane, am the sole creator of "Batman." I created "Batman" in 1939, and it appeared, if memory serves me correctly, in Detective Comics as a six or eight page story, and I signed the first strip, "Robert Kane."

I read your article that you sent to me, "If the Truth be Known,'' ''A Finger in Every Plot," and it seemed to me that Bill Finger has given out the impression that he and not myself created the ''Batman, as well as Robin and all the other leading villains and characters. This statement is fraudulent and entirely untrue. That is ''myth" and I quote an excerpt from the article written by Jerry G. Bails, "The Cowl and Cape, the utility belt and gauntlets were all Bill's contribution."

Also, further down in the article and again I quote , "Bill also created Robin, of course, but also Commissioner Gordon, (who appeared in the first Batman story), Alfred the Penguin, The Catwoman, etc.

I challenge Bill to repeat those statements in front of me. I am sorry that I was absent from the comicdom's convention so that I could have answered him. The truth is that Bill Finger is taking credit for much more than he deserves, and I refute much of his statements here in print The fact is that I conceived the ''Batman`' figure and costume entirely by myself' even before I called Bill in to help me write the "Batman.'' I created the title, masthead, the format and concept, as well as the Batman figure and costume. Robin, the boy wonder, was also my idea, . . . not Bill's.

The only proof I need to back my statement is that if Bill co-authored and conceived the idea, either with me or before me, then he would most certainly have a by-line on the strip along with my name, the same as Siegel and Schuster had as creators of Superman. However, it remains obvious that my name appears on the strip alone, proving that I created the idea first and then called Bill in later, after my publisher okayed my original creation.

Now, Biljo, in all fairness to Bill, I will admit he was influential in aiding me in shaping up the strip, and there are certain characters Bill created, aside from my main characters' and many other characters that I created, including the Batmobile. It's been 25 years now, and truthfully, time sometimes blurs the memory and it is difficult to separate, at times, the myth from the truth, so that I cannot blame Bill too much if at times his memory "clouds."

Aside to Jerry G. Bails: I ought to sue you for misrepresentation and distortion of the truth about your "Finger Article" that blatantly intimates that Bill Finger was the true creator behind Batman, and not Bob Kane. Your article is completely misleading, loaded with untruths fed to you by Finger's hallucinations of grandeur.
Yep.

Kane uses the "Created by Bob Kane" credit as proof that he alone created Batman. A credit he himself actively pursued from DC.

*Finger's contributions include: Ideas for Batman's Costume (Kane's original design looked more like Robin with wings), The alter ego of Bruce Wayne, Batman being "The World's Greatest Detective", the nickname "The Dark Knight", Robin, Commissioner Gordon, The Batmobile, Gotham City, The murdered parents origin, Two-Face, Catwoman, The Riddler, and a few others I'm leaving out.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 09-18-15 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-18-15, 03:33 PM
Banned

Goddamn. I didn't really know much about Kane or Finger aside from what they did but goddamn. Kane was a piece of shit.

On the Marvel side, I love Stan Lee as the personality and such. He was a lot for Marvel. At the same time... credit is really given where it's due w/ Marvel too.
Old 09-18-15, 03:50 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson

The murdered parents origin
whoa whoa whoa...i think the movies need to cover this at some point.
Old 09-18-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. Bob Kane was an utter bastard with the luck of the angels. He screwed over both Siegel, Shuster and DC themselves around the time of the first Superman lawsuit for a better Batman deal (see above). When that deal was up, it was right around the time the Adam West series hit and Batman was super hot. He was able to re-negotiate for even better terms for another 20 years. Which was right around the time the Tim Burton Batman was nearing production. That time, he was able to cash in all his chips and got paid PLENTY to give all rights to DC. All while trashing Bill Finger.

For a very long while, getting screwed over in comics was called "Getting Fingered."

It doesn't matter too much but in the end, Kane did say he should have given Finger more credit for Batman.
Old 09-18-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts

September 18, 2015 9:41am PT by Graeme McMillan
DC Entertainment To Give Classic Batman Writer Credit in 'Gotham' and 'Batman v Superman' (Exclusive)

The man many comic book fans consider the co-creator of the Batman mythos is going to get the credit he deserves. DC Entertainment announced today that Bill Finger, who worked with Bob Kane on early Batman comic strips as well as co-creating Green Lantern and other characters for the company, will be receiving official credit for his work in film and television projects based on his creations.

Finger, who died in 1974, made a number of critical contributions to the Batman mythos, including coming up with the names of the hero's alter ego Bruce Wayne, as well as the city in which the hero fights crime. He was also co-creator for a number of iconic Batman characters including Robin, Catwoman and the Joker.

Although Kane received sole official credit for the character as part of the original deal signed in 1939, the artist talked in later life about Finger being an important influence on the development of the series. In his 1989 autobiography Batman and Me, Kane described Finger as "a contributing force" on the series, noting "I must admit that Bill never received the fame and recognition he deserved."

In recent years, that has changed — thanks, in part, to Marc Tyler Nobleman's biography of the creator, Bill the Boy Wonder, which prompted coverage calling Finger "Batman's Biggest Secret". Last year, a re-issue of Batman's first appearance in celebration of the character's 75th anniversary saw DC give Finger cover credit for his work on the issue, and today's news extends that further.

The DC Entertainment statement, released exclusively to THR, reads:

DC Entertainment and the family of Bill Finger are pleased to announce that they have reached an agreement that recognizes Mr. Finger’s significant contributions to the Batman family of characters. "Bill Finger was instrumental in developing many of the key creative elements that enrich the Batman universe, and we look forward to building on our acknowledgement of his significant role in DC Comics’ history," stated Diane Nelson, President of DC Entertainment. "As part of our acknowledgement of those contributions," Nelson continued, "we are pleased to confirm today that Bill Finger will be receiving credit in the Warner Bros. television series Gotham beginning later this season, and in the forthcoming motion picture Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."
Gotham returns to Fox Sept. 21 at 8 p.m. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will be released Mar. 23, 2016.
Old 09-18-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks?
Old 09-18-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Max Landis' take on what his Man of Steel sequel would have been...

<iframe src="//www.break.com/embed/2889714?embed=1" width="464" height="280" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>
I subscribe to that podcast so I heard it the other day. Initially I thought the guy came off as a douche but when he pitched his MOS sequel, I was fucking hooked. Sounded much more interesting that what Snyder has shown so far. And he still managed to tie it with the wanton destruction in MOS.
Old 09-19-15, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Thanks?
It's worthy news to be in this thread.
Old 09-19-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 374 Likes on 268 Posts

It's worthy news to be in this thread.
It is, but was there anything different in that post from what Valyard had posted and we were all discussing?
Old 09-19-15, 09:55 AM
Banned

Was that in this thread? I thought that was placed in a different one. Too many threads I jump into.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.