Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

I think if Wonder Woman tanks, we'll see a shift with the rest of the solo features (i.e. "Flash" becomes "Batman v. Flash," etc).
Old 10-15-14, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

Man, DC is so jealous of Marvel's cinematic universe, that it's totally flailing around, yelling "me too, me too!", while totally oblivious as to what made Marvel's movies succeed. It's just kinda' sad, and these characters deserve better.
Old 10-15-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully the girl that plays WW will have grown tits by then.
Old 10-15-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,372 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Man, DC is so jealous of Marvel's cinematic universe, that it's totally flailing around, yelling "me too, me too!", while totally oblivious as to what made Marvel's movies succeed. It's just kinda' sad, and these characters deserve better.
It would be comical if it weren't so pathetic. They want so much to be exactly like Marvel but they've fucked up at pretty much every turn. I can see this whole plan collapsing half way through. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we get Justice League part 1 and then part 2 got scrapped.
Old 10-15-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,188 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It would be comical if it weren't so pathetic. They want so much to be exactly like Marvel but they've fucked up at pretty much every turn. I can see this whole plan collapsing half way through. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we get Justice League part 1 and then part 2 got scrapped.
What makes it worse in my opinion is that they had a starting point and could have gotten things going slowly but instead got too set on trying to jump right into introducing a bunch of characters at a time and basically trying to jump right in to a Justice League film. I just don't really understand their thinking behind trying so hard to make this happen I guess. I get that they saw the success of The Avengers and that probably got the gears in their heads turning, but they went about it in the total opposite direction and I just don't think its going to pay off for them.

Man of Steel was essentially the start of their Cinematic Universe and they should have slowly built things from that film. Instead they're so gung ho trying to play catch up that things just appear to be a mess and it seems like they really don't have any solid plans and are just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. I think that films starring Superman and Batman will likely do well but it just seems like they're banking so much on only those two characters and they don't really care about the others so it makes you wonder why they're really so stuck on trying to make the Justice League and a larger Cinematic Universe happen.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-15-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-15-14, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be fair, Marvel and DC always copy each other. There's nothing new with that at all. It's been like that forever. One of them does something successful, and the other copies it soon after.

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with not introducing all the characters in solo movies before the Justice League movie. X-Men has been widely popular, and none of them have ever had solo movies except for Wolverine.
Old 10-15-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
To be fair, Marvel and DC always copy each other. There's nothing new with that at all. It's been like that forever. One of them does something successful, and the other copies it soon after.
In this case though DC would have been better off going closer to Marvel's formula. Instead they're just jumping straight in without any real build. I don't really see the point in trying to work backwards from a Justice League film but whatever.

I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with not introducing all the characters in solo movies before the Justice League movie. X-Men has been widely popular, and none of them have ever had solo movies except for Wolverine.
Its also worth noting though that the X-Men films have more or less been Wolverine focused though. They're not really true team films (especially the first three films). I'm guessing that's essentially what DC plans to do with the Justice League and will have Superman and Batman as the focal members of the group. My point is though, if that is the case why even bother? They seemingly don't have much interest in the other characters unless the other films work out.
Old 10-15-14, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
Its also worth noting though that the X-Men films have more or less been Wolverine focused though. They're not really true team films (especially the first three films). I'm guessing that's essentially what DC plans to do with the Justice League and will have Superman and Batman as the focal members of the group. My point is though, if that is the case why even bother? They seemingly don't have much interest in the other characters unless the other films work out.
Of course Superman and Batman will be the focal point. Just look at the comics. DC publishes over a dozen comics monthly in the Batfamily alone.
Old 10-15-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course Superman and Batman will be the focal point. Just look at the comics. DC publishes over a dozen comics monthly in the Batfamily alone.
Right. I'm saying though if that is the case then really why even bother with the side characters? They seemingly have little interest in them unless the Justice League and Superman V. Batman film does well. The films they have scheduled all just seem like afterthoughts. The difference with Marvel is that they're actually building up characters to take over for their core characters so they'll have more to work with when eventually the actors step down and they won't have to go straight to rebooting characters.
Old 10-16-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Marvel Comics was doing the same thing when Wolverine gained popularity. He was guest starring in this title or that and had a slew of stand alone mini series and team ups. He was Marvel for a long time and all that got translated when they started the X-Men movies because you don't want to fuck up a good thing. If Marvel had the rights to Wolverine you all know that he would have been in their movies even without the X-Men.
Old 10-16-14, 10:16 AM
Banned

Themyscira being built in New Mexico?

Old 10-16-14, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh. I feel worse for watching that video. I hate newscasters and their fake dialogue.
Old 10-16-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,372 Likes on 2,158 Posts

Where is the IHOP going to be?
Old 10-16-14, 01:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So is it going to be the same stupid fight when Supes and Zod were fighting? Now Batman and Supes doing the same thing? Joy. I cannot wait.
Old 10-16-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Shouldn't it look more like this than that. You can already tell it doesn't.

Old 10-16-14, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trespoochies
So is it going to be the same stupid fight when Supes and Zod were fighting? Now Batman and Supes doing the same thing? Joy. I cannot wait.
Ehhhh. I dunno about that. Yeah, the fight using the armored suit in the animated Dark Knights Returns went more than the comic but I don't think it'll be a retread of the Zod fight in this one. the DKR fight was awesome though.

Solid BD for the whole thing as one. Glad I waited it out.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PoGru7L50qs?list=PLcx1C-trrZy07V6W8Dh4I8tPSmvB1fqwT" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NoegW-NFckk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aZOZaa9J7w8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-16-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

DC seems to be taking Marvels plan and reversing it. Instead og building towards a team movie, they are getting the team right out as soon as they can and then spinning individual movies from that. Maybe this could work, but i think that using an example such as Hawkeye from the Avengers, he works well as part of the team, however i don't think there are too many people screaming for a solo movie for the character. Don't get me wrong, they could do a kick ass movie based upon the style of the comic character being a bad ass in recent years, but people seem to be happy with the character popping up in the movies of more popular characters. Same thing goes for Black Widow.

This is where i think Wonder Woman, Cyborg and maybe even Aquaman might have a problem. Unless they can really stand out and kick ass on screen then the demand to see more in solo features may not be there. Its a risky move. And i think the bad taste from the last Green Lantern movie is still evident. If they are doing another solo movie then smart to put it in the farer future. But the problem is where do you go with the character? Another origin story? No thanks. Glad that Marvel are getting out of the origin business. It works well for only so long unless its handled REALLY well (Batman is an example of good reinventions...Superman....to some extent), and the reason why Spiderman is failing and why the Fantastic Four will have a hard time.
Old 10-16-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If DC are going to try and use Marvels mold to some extent then a good idea is to also imitate their idea of trying to keep costs low in production. Marvel gets a lot of shit for this, but i can see that they want to ensure that a production does not become a runaway train of expense.
Old 10-16-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,952 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Gotta be honest...at this point I'd be ok with NOT seeing any SOLO films from Marvel or DC for a while. The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy have shown that TEAM FILMS CAN WORK. I say that even though I really enjoyed the Captain America films.

I don't want to see Iron Man 4, but I can't wait to see Iron Man in the next Captain America and Avengers movies. I don't need another Batman solo film, but I can't wait to see him FINALLY teamed up, or against, Superman. Hell, at this point I'm not even sure I really care about a Wonder Woman solo film. I just want to see her kick ass with, or against, Superman and Batman or any other hero. Spider-Man can team up with some heroes and I would like that too. Don't need another Spidey solo film.
Old 10-16-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 880 Likes on 741 Posts

I largely agree, team-up movies eliminate a lot of the stuff that slows down solo movies. Except for a solo Flash movie, I could handle all of the comic book movies shifting toward team-ups. There is a reason why the Justice League and Avengers were so popular for many years.
Old 10-17-14, 02:52 PM
Banned

MASSIVE POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Spoiler:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batma...mbs-67759.html

A supposed extra has broken his confidentially agreement and says that Robin is in the movie. Specifically it is Carrie Kelly, and actress Jena Malone is playing her.

Honestly, I really doubt this is true. I thought Snyder said the look of Batman's costume is inspired by The Dark Knight Returns, but they weren't actually making an adaptation of that story. Plus, Jena is 29 years old according to wikipedia. A 30 year old Robin is something I would expect in a Schumacher Batman movie, not in a more serious Batman movie. Also, what purpose would Robin even serve? Robin isn't a Justice League member, and the movie is already crowded enough with a huge cast of superheroes.
Old 10-17-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a fan of that choice, if true.
Old 10-18-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MASSIVE POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Spoiler:
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batma...mbs-67759.html

A supposed extra has broken his confidentially agreement and says that Robin is in the movie. Specifically it is Carrie Kelly, and actress Jena Malone is playing her.

Honestly, I really doubt this is true. I thought Snyder said the look of Batman's costume is inspired by The Dark Knight Returns, but they weren't actually making an adaptation of that story. Plus, Jena is 29 years old according to wikipedia. A 30 year old Robin is something I would expect in a Schumacher Batman movie, not in a more serious Batman movie. Also, what purpose would Robin even serve? Robin isn't a Justice League member, and the movie is already crowded enough with a huge cast of superheroes.
Spoiler:

Malone's currently playing a character in The Hunger Games who's barely in her twenties, and she naturally has a pretty young appearance. I wouldn't see a problem with her playing a version of Carrie Kelley in her high-school or college years, if that's the direction they're really going. Making her a tad older could also help WB bypass other issues, such as involving a too-young girl in violence (a la Hit Girl in Kick-Ass), how she initially pays for her gear, and her parents' lack of oversight. As for her purpose? Who knows, but the character plays a significant role in Batman's return from retirement, which seems to be a highly-possible direction for BvS.

I've always preferred a lack of Robin in the cinematic Batman universe, but I'm not really opposed to this, if they're going the route of TDKR. Of course, all this could also be a load of crap and not even worth discussing.
Old 10-18-14, 11:22 AM
Banned

I always think she's younger than she is but then somehow I'll watch a movie from a while back and boom... she's in it. If true... that gets my interest a good bit. She's always entertaining. I actually can't think of a moment I didn't like her even in movies I didn't like.
Old 10-18-14, 11:39 AM
Banned

Something I would really like to see in a Batman movie is the old school Batcave with the giant penny and T-Rex.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.