Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE film)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE film)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE f

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Just finished this after I downloaded it from Amazon Prime. I have to say, if this had actually been made the way they wanted, it would have been something for the ages. Interesting how so much of the stuff seen in many movies over the past few decades seemingly first appeared as concept for this project.
I truly hope that one day we get to see an animated version of this movie, or maybe a motion comic. Jodorowsky has already given his blessing for it to happen even if he's long dead, so I am crossing my fingers I might see it in my lifetime. I think it's a damn shame Ralph Bakshi is up there in the years as well. He would have been the perfect choice for an animated adaptation of this adaptation.
I saw this the other day as well, the dream team that Jodorowsky put together would have made an awesome film! Hearing about all the pieces was interesting and exhilarating.

That scene where Jodorowsky is pouring his heart out about why he couldn't make the movie he wanted, almost made me cry.
Old 09-03-14, 02:26 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts
Re: JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE f

It's the $0.99 Rental Of The Day (HDX) at Vudu.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/524905

Once you purchase the rental, you have 30 days to watch it. When you start watching, you have 24-hours to finish it.
Old 09-03-14, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll buy it on BD. I love film history like this.
Old 12-07-16, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodor...dune-uncovered

In March 2015 a script, an apparent early draft of Dune written by Jodorowsky, appeared on eBay. When asked on Twitter about it Jodorowsky replied: "Es un falso guión con un dibujo idiota." ("It is a fake script with an idiot drawing.")

Nevertheless the script received a lot of interest and eventually sold for over $6,000. DuneInfo has been fortunate to have been able to read the script, and in our opinion it is not a fake - it fits in too well with our own research into Jodorowsky's Dune.

Over the coming months we will be discussing certain aspects of the script, and how it compares to what is known about the ill-fated project, as well as other versions of Dune from Frank Herbert's original novel to the adaptations by David Lynch and John Harrison.
Old 08-03-20, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Re: JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE film)

My copy came today and I popped it right in.

First, it’s not what I expected. I was hoping to see *a lot more* of those incredible storyboards, as the ones we did see were amazing.
But I can see maybe having rights issues if too much was shown like a movie.

But shifting mental gears to watch it as it is, it’s still amazing and made even better by the 40 minutes of deleted scenes. It’s kinda funny to see Jodo complain about 90 minute movies and then this is cut down to that runtime. If the extra discussion in those scenes weren’t in the disc I’d be left feeling unfulfilled.

And I dam sure want to see an animated version of that book!
Old 08-04-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (2013) (dir. Pavich) (documentary on Jodorowsky's failed DUNE film)

I would love to get own a copy of the storyboards. I don't know why they haven't mass published them.

Also this doc along with Won't You Be My Neighbor? and Where to Invade Next are three of the best docs of the 2010s.
Old 01-16-22, 07:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

This seemed like the best thread for this...

The following 3 users liked this post by Dan:
Crocker Jarmen (01-16-22), IBJoel (01-17-22), Why So Blu? (01-16-22)
Old 01-17-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw that on Twitter and at first thought that meant they had actually bought the rights to make a movie specifically based on that work, but the more I look into this it seems they just bought a book? And they think that gave them the rights? They still have to deal with the Herbert estate for starters.

With as much information about movie rights is available on the internet, did they seriously not understand that?
Old 01-17-22, 10:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

You will find that cryptobros generally do not understand much about anything outside the scope of their grift.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
You will find that cryptobros generally do not understand much about anything outside the scope of their grift.
It's like they sprang out of the ground fully formed as cryptobros and have no concept of anything else in the world. I mean, just from being on this forum for a few years I've gleaned a surface level understanding of movie rights and distribution deals and such, and I don't even do any of that for a living.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
IBJoel (01-17-22), John Pannozzi (01-19-22)
Old 01-17-22, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

They have come out and said they did not believe they were buying rights, but rather to give opportunity for more people to see it. Who knows.
Old 01-17-22, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
They have come out and said they did not believe they were buying rights, but rather to give opportunity for more people to see it. Who knows.

Opportunity to see what, though? The book? That's all they can show, the contents of the book. Tour it around or whatever, but it can't go beyond that. Even then, I'm sure there's plenty of red tape involved.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,838 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Opportunity to see what, though? The book? That's all they can show, the contents of the book. Tour it around or whatever, but it can't go beyond that. Even then, I'm sure there's plenty of red tape involved.
It's legit. They loaned it to me already. I'll return it as soon as I'm done with it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kurt D:
IBJoel (01-17-22), milo bloom (01-17-22), Trevor (01-17-22), Why So Blu? (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 12:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, there's also this...
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan:
IBJoel (01-17-22), Why So Blu? (01-17-22)
Old 01-17-22, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Wow, I didn't know it was available like that.
Old 01-17-22, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I don't think that's the anywhere near the entire book, just a bunch of pages and images from it presented in random order.

Maybe the crypto guys will scan the whole book and release a .pdf of it out into the wild.
Old 01-17-22, 02:43 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't think that's the anywhere near the entire book, just a bunch of pages and images from it presented in random order.

Maybe the crypto guys will scan the whole book and release a .pdf of it out into the wild.
Na. Maybe as a NFT though.