Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ethics of Going from One Movie to Another at a Multiplex

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ethics of Going from One Movie to Another at a Multiplex

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Ethics of Going from One Movie to Another at a Multiplex

The only movie I snuck into was Office Space when it played in theaters. (This was right after Rushmore).
Old 07-08-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

I go to the movies just about every weekend... if there is a good movie playing. I spend close to 100 bucs when I take my family. Whenever I go by myself (maybe a movie I can't take the kids too) if I can get away with watching another movie after the one I payed for. I will and don't feel bad about it...
Old 07-08-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The last time I wanted a refund was after both of The Matrix sequels.
Fool you twice, shame on you.
Old 07-08-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,080 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
I go to the movies just about every weekend... if there is a good movie playing. I spend close to 100 bucs when I take my family. Whenever I go by myself (maybe a movie I can't take the kids too) if I can get away with watching another movie after the one I payed for. I will and don't feel bad about it...
If you think a single movie is too expensive, maybe don't go to movies?

If every single person did this all day long, theaters would close down permanently. Why do some people feel they are "owed" something by the theater?
Old 07-08-13, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sven:

I don't go to bad movies.

Originally Posted by dan30oly
this.

Old 07-08-13, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I've actually purchased tickets so I could see two different movies back-to-back. People can dress it up however they want, but sneaking into a second movie after purchasing a ticket to the first one is stealing.
Agreed.
When I was younger, my city had an 8 screen multiplex. During the summer, they'd run shows around 1pm, 3pm, 7pm and 9pm. Once a month or so, I'd make a day of it and see 4 movies. I paid for each and every movie that I saw. I wouldn't have felt right sneaking in to the next show.

As for these days, the closest multiplex to me seems to stagger start times just enough so that actually sneaking into another movie would require some effort.
Old 07-08-13, 07:37 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 256 Posts

I've never done it before which is kinda surprising to me considering some of the shit I used to do when I was younger. Probably wouldn't do it now.
Old 07-08-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ardathbey
Why in the WORLD would you go see the third chapter if you wanted a for a refund on the second??
Liked the first one. Thought the second one was just filler and that the third would get down to the nitty-gritty. Boy was I wrong.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Fool you twice, shame on you.
Yup, those Wachowski bastards got me twice. Lesson learned, no more "turn your brain off at the door" movies for me.
I felt like I was lobotomized after watching those movies.

Last edited by inri222; 07-08-13 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-08-13, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed that the costs are prohibitive of me going to the movies at all, and I'm only going to bother going at all if it's something I really need to see. I have enough unwatched classics at home and on my streaming queues, and I don't need to sneak into the latest Fast & Furious movie just because it's free. I'd rather watch the quality stuff I have at home.

I don't get the idea of asking for a refund for a bad movie. By that regard, you can walk into any movie that you're unsure about and try it with no risks. I don't really want to see The Lone Ranger, but there's a likeliness that it could be a mindless fun time to kill an evening. So this means I should go either way, and if it doesn't do anything for me I can just ask for a refund afterwards?
Old 07-08-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
I have enough unwatched classics at home and on my streaming queues, and I don't need to sneak into the latest Fast & Furious movie just because it's free. I'd rather watch the quality stuff I have at home.
I agree and this is why I very rarely go to the movies anymore. Last year I went twice to see matinees of Django Unchained & Killer Joe. Currently I have about 70 sealed Blu-Rays & DVD's, half of which are films that I have never seen before. I also have about 20 used dvd's (from a swapping website) of films that I have never seen. I have plenty of quality stuff to keep me busy at home (plus unlimited beer & snacks) to bother with going to the movies.
Old 07-08-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm shocked this issue needed to be addressed by Chuck Klosterman. It's obviously "wrong." You cannot pay for a good/service then expect to simply be able to exchange said good/service after partial use for another. Are there stores that absolutely allow for this and include it in their return/exchange policies? Of course, but that should not be a baseline expectation when purchasing anything.

I have a bigger problem with people doing this than I do with people theater hopping after features. Frankly, I don't want people sitting in a theater while I watch a film then getting bored 20 minutes in and leaving. On the other side, it's annoying to have people coming into a theater to look for seats after another movie has begun (assuming movies A and B started at the same time).

Asking for a refund b/c you didn't like the movie you chose to see is just insane. You purchased a ticket to see a movie, that is all. As long as the movie played correctly and the theater environment/experience was satisfactory, no refund is deserved.
Old 07-08-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 383 Likes on 272 Posts

I did it once. I left Mission Impossible 2 and went into Road Trip. I did it because I was with a friend, and under 17 at the time. So I couldn't get an R-rated ticket anyways.

Wouldn't do it again. It is dumb. I have no reason to break rules or whatever. If I want to see another movie afterwards (which I often do), I walk outside, get another ticket, and go to see the other movie.
Old 07-08-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,221 Likes on 938 Posts

I used to go to 2-3 movies a day when I was younger at my general movie theater. I stopped doing that when I got older and reserved seating came in. I don't have the time anymore and now with Blu-ray and my nice home theater there's very little need to do that anymore. Even with current releases.
Old 07-08-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I don't know what Bones is besides the tv show

Snoop's Hood of Horror being marginally better.
Old 07-08-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I theater hop all the time and have no problem with it. Haven't done the walk out of one because it's bad to go see another one. I purposely look at the show times and plan the movie order based on that. Sometimes even if it's not planned but as I'm walking by another theater and it's just about to start, I just walk in.
Old 07-08-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
If you think a single movie is too expensive, maybe don't go to movies?

If every single person did this all day long, theaters would close down permanently. Why do some people feel they are "owed" something by the theater?

I dont think a single movie is expensive... I make more then enough money to be able to take my family every weekend if need be. I work in security industry and if theaters really wanted to do something about this they could... its their own fault people even have the option to do and I don't think a theater "owed" me shit.
Old 07-08-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,089 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
One thing that theaters do that encourages this behavior is putting the movie's start time right above the doors. If I'm walking out and see that another movie is about to start, it's a temptation to just go right in.
Isn't that so you can go to the right movie if there are multiple showings? Temptation?

It is stealing, and I've certainly never done it, or felt entitled to do it because I bought concessions. I'm actually a bit surprised that it's seemingly so prevalent here.

Now what about smuggling in snacks? That's really stealing from the theater, since that's where they make all their money, right?
Old 07-08-13, 08:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Isn't that so you can go to the right movie if there are multiple showings? Temptation?

It is stealing, and I've certainly never done it, or felt entitled to do it because I bought concessions. I'm actually a bit surprised that it's seemingly so prevalent here.

Now what about smuggling in snacks? That's really stealing from the theater, since that's where they make all their money, right?
correct, but in my mind Regal is the worst offender of jacked up prices.
Old 07-08-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

If you can't afford the concessions, eat before the movie.
Old 07-09-13, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How much does a theater make from ticket sales? What % of a ticket's cost are we talking about? Compare that to the $$$ they make from concessions
Old 07-09-13, 01:49 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If you can't afford the concessions, eat before the movie.
It's still pretty silly to enforce "no outside food" at this day and age.
Old 07-09-13, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
It's still pretty silly to enforce "no outside food" at this day and age.
Restaurants do it.
Old 07-09-13, 02:02 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Restaurants do it.
On that note, I would think theaters would make more money if they had "cinema grill" type set ups. Less people would sneak in food if they made food people liked. I think some theaters try a bit harder by offering stuff like chicken tenders at a fairly reasonable price.
Old 07-09-13, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts

I've only done this twice and it was when I was with a group of friends.

PEER PRESSURE
Old 07-09-13, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I never said it was right, I merely said that was my thinking at the time. If they were that worried about it they could guide people out like the other show did.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.