Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I just rewatched the first Hobbit movie and it was better than I thought on first viewing. The ridiculous falls they survive in the second half are still ridiculous, but it was a pretty decent film. I think the main problem is that it hits so many of the same notes as the original trilogy (especially the eagles) that it feels a bit repetitive, but I have hopes for the remaining two. The trailers for the second movie have been solid.
Blame that on Tolkien. In fact, whilst reading The Children of Húrin, I'm certain the events that transpired in that book would have turned out differently had the eagles appeared at a more critical juncture in the story.
Old 10-16-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Tolkien used eagles way too often in his stories, except where it would have made sense to have them fly the ring over Mt. Doom and let Frodo drop in the ring.
Old 10-17-13, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Tolkien used eagles way too often in his stories, except where it would have made sense to have them fly the ring over Mt. Doom and let Frodo drop in the ring.
Or just have Elrond take it. I think the eagles are a cool deus ex machina, but Tolkien uses them everytime he paints himself into a tight corner. Not as bad in the books, but it seems really one note in the movies.

Smaug from the previews looks to be a better pic though from the previews.
Old 10-17-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Is it just me, or has the excitement for these films totally waned? I'm planning on seeing it, but it doesn't feel like the 'must-see' movie of the holdiay season, like the first three LOTR movies were. Maybe that's because the first trilogy felt like a trilogy, and this trilogy just feels like a money grab.

Maybe when all six movies are finally out, we'll be comparing the Hobbit trilogy to the Star Wars prequels, and the LOTR trilogy to the original Star Wars trilogy - they feel very much in the same vein.
Old 10-17-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Maybe when all six movies are finally out, we'll be comparing the Hobbit trilogy to the Star Wars prequels, and the LOTR trilogy to the original Star Wars trilogy - they feel very much in the same vein.
I see what you're getting at, but the first Hobbit film is way better than Star Wars Episode 1. Some people may end up viewing The Hobbit trilogy as inessential, bloated, and/or not as good at the LOTR trilogy, but Ep1 is actively offensive in how bad it is.

For myself, I don't find myself waiting on edge for the next Hobbit film to come out, but I do plan on seeing it in theaters, something I can't say for Ep2 or Ep3 of Star Wars.
Old 10-17-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

And we'll be getting the Extended Cut in a couple of weeks, so the buzz is there.
Old 10-17-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

My only issue is that I have more familiarity with LOTR than The Hobbit in general and the new movies aren't as focused on the huge medieval battles that I loved in the first trilogy. But I'm more excited for this one than the last one, since Smaug is my favorite part of The Hobbit story.
Old 10-17-13, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it just me, or has the excitement for these films totally waned? I'm planning on seeing it, but it doesn't feel like the 'must-see' movie of the holdiay season, like the first three LOTR movies were. Maybe that's because the first trilogy felt like a trilogy, and this trilogy just feels like a money grab.

Hobbit trilogy > Star Wars prequels.
Old 10-17-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
My only issue is that I have more familiarity with LOTR than The Hobbit in general and the new movies aren't as focused on the huge medieval battles that I loved in the first trilogy. But I'm more excited for this one than the last one, since Smaug is my favorite part of The Hobbit story.
The Battle of the Five Armies will change all that next year. They'll be wrapping up Smaug and saving the battles for the finale, which will have the feel of the LOTR all over it.
Old 10-17-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The Battle of the Five Armies will change all that next year. They'll be wrapping up Smaug and saving the battles for the finale, which will have the feel of the LOTR all over it.
Sounds good to me - while I enjoy it all, the hobbit stuff is my least favorite stuff in the first trilogy. An Unexpected Journey felt like a movie of nothing BUT hobbit stuff, when I really just want to see elves and dwarfs killing orcs.
Old 10-17-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like others have said, this is nowhere near the level of offense of the SW PT. While not perfect, you care about the characters and the performances don't seem wooden and stunted.

I will admit that my interest in these is nowhere near the level I had for LOTR, but that was because LOTR was the first live-action look we ever got at the world of Middle-Earth. I also think that some of the waning interest, at least in the U.S., is due to a lot of the younger people who made the first trilogy a hit no longer having the same kind of subjects of interest now that they're older.
Old 10-17-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
duh
Old 10-17-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

No argument there...so far - still two films to go.
Old 10-17-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Is it just me, or has the excitement for these films totally waned? I'm planning on seeing it, but it doesn't feel like the 'must-see' movie of the holdiay season, like the first three LOTR movies were.
The Hobbit, both the original novel and the movie, doesn't have the same epic scope that Lord of the Rings does. It's a much smaller, lighter tale.
Old 10-18-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Actually, there was tinkering done prior to 97:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...pecial_Edition
Doesn't surprise me, sadly.

Also, the 97 SEs weren't full digital restorations. Only the FX shots were scanned digitally, the remaining shots were restored chemically. The deteriorated state of the negatives in 97 led to the need for a lot of color correction:
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html
Unbe-fucking-leavable. So he could've restored them before applying the SE changes and didn't bother? Why am I not surprised?

For the TE Blu-ray of FOTR, they used a transfer of a theatrical print of the film, as that film didn't have a full DI for the entire film, yet. The TEs of TTT and ROTK looked better because they always had a full DI.
So did they do the DI for FOTR for the EE or the BR?

As for whether the green tint is noticeable on the FOTR EE, Why So Blu? is correct that a lot of people have reported it being not that noticeable on a lot of TV setups. The comparison images online highlight the difference, but when watching the Blu-ray, most people end up just watching the film and not looking for the tint.
Still kind of annoying and shouldn't have happened.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think it's sort of like how when the warp core breaks down, you just kind of have to accept that what's necessary to fix the mechanism of an entire starship is something that a person can access with his hands. Does it make any sense? No. But you just kind of have to go with it.

These do feel like a cash-grab which has extended what should've been one movie into three, but when all is said and done, they probably won't be looked upon quite as negatively. A the very least, there's a sense of cohesion that the SW trilogy never had because of three different directors and its tonal shifts even prior to the PT. But yeah, I don't think The Hobbit trilogy will be remembered as fondly as LOTR. Although the fact that the the same team handled all six films and they cast ties everything together is kind of cool.

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I see what you're getting at, but the first Hobbit film is way better than Star Wars Episode 1.
True, but so is a stick in the eye .

Some people may end up viewing The Hobbit trilogy as inessential, bloated, and/or not as good at the LOTR trilogy, but Ep1 is actively offensive in how bad it is.
This pretty much sums it up.

For myself, I don't find myself waiting on edge for the next Hobbit film to come out, but I do plan on seeing it in theaters, something I can't say for Ep2 or Ep3 of Star Wars.
I'll see them in theaters, and since I don't have LOTR on BR yet, I'm debate whether to just wait out the whole thing and get the mega-ultra set that'll inevitable come down the pipe in a few years with all six films.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I forget how much of the book takes place after Smaug. I know that there's been a lot of talk about it and it's questionable how well all of it will work, but it will be interesting to see when Jackson takes all of the plot threads he's added to these films.

Originally Posted by Draven
Sounds good to me - while I enjoy it all, the hobbit stuff is my least favorite stuff in the first trilogy. An Unexpected Journey felt like a movie of nothing BUT hobbit stuff, when I really just want to see elves and dwarfs killing orcs.
They actually did add a significant amount of backstory regardign Thorin and the elves and dwarves and their battles with Azog and the orcs, etc. We'll see where it all goes.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Hobbit, both the original novel and the movie, doesn't have the same epic scope that Lord of the Rings does. It's a much smaller, lighter tale.
Which is sort of part of the problem in the first place. The Hobbit probably would've worked much better as one swashbuckling movie that was about three hours rather than this bloated trilogy, even if they are lifting from elsewhere in Tolkien for it. You lose the dynamism and sense and lightness that the novel had. It's the only Tolkien book I've read all the way though, and several times at that, I love it. And it does have a lot less of the "Kind Humina-Hockina from the land of Hoodle-Floodle slayed the dragon Humpty-Flupty with the sword Slinga-Slanga in the year of 85 of King Knackersmacker" linguistic kind of stuff .
Old 10-18-13, 11:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, let's not set that bar too high.
Old 10-18-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I forget how much of the book takes place after Smaug. I know that there's been a lot of talk about it and it's questionable how well all of it will work, but it will be interesting to see when Jackson takes all of the plot threads he's added to these films.
It's not as long or intense in the book as the film will be. I'm assuming that Smaug's storyline is wrapped up in Desolation and then Five Armies will wrap up in part 3 along with the bridging into the LOTR world. That's also not counting the Extended Editions.
Old 11-04-13, 05:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Final poster:

Old 11-04-13, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Initially I was confused as to why Smaug wasn't on the poster, then I looked a little bit closer. Clever.
Old 11-04-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Awesome poster. Looking forward to people asking why Orlando bloom is featured twice.
Old 11-04-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Lee Pace looks badass in that poster.
Old 11-04-13, 07:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

New "Sneak Peek" trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lfflhfn1W-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-04-13, 07:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Awesome poster. Looking forward to people asking why Orlando bloom is featured twice.
I don't know why you would cast someone who looks so similar to one of your main stars.
Old 11-04-13, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Wasn't a big fan of An Unexpected Journey but I have hopes this one will be better. And I agree, that is a cool poster.
Old 11-04-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sub-Zero
New "Sneak Peek" trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lfflhfn1W-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I am excited!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.