Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite movie marathons that you have attended?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 12:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

These days it seems that almost every time a high profile movie is released that is part of a series, all the national theater chains will usually offer a special "one night only" movie marathon including all of the previous entries in the series, leading up to the release of the movie itself. What are your favorite move marathons that you have attended at a theater?
Old 06-09-13, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Favorite movie marathons that you have attended?

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
The Avengers 3D
Iron Man 2 3D
Old 06-09-13, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Back in the day :

Flesh for Frankenstein / Blood for Dracula

The Streetfighter / Return of the Streetfighter / The Streetfighter's Last Revenge
Old 06-09-13, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All 5 Planet of the Apes films @ Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood a year or so ago. Only Planet was 35mm but the digital looked pretty good.
Old 06-09-13, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The original Star Wars trilogy.
Old 06-09-13, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

In 1985

Old 06-09-13, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Star Trek I: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

OK, it's the only movie marathon I've been to. It was a promotional gimmick to promote Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. T-Shirts. Special Tickets. But only a preview of Star Trek V. Which turned out to be pretty crappy. The copies of the four other Star Trek films ranged from fair to poor. Theater was sold out. The crowd stayed in good humor. It must have been over ten hours in the theater. I think I have the ticket somewhere. The thing is I conned my brother in going with me and I called in sick that day.
Old 06-09-13, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Years ago (40+) Times Square theaters (Manhattan) used to have Clint Eastwood quadruple features where you saw all three films from the "Man with No Name" trilogy (A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY) followed by his first starring American western, HANG 'EM HIGH. We would smuggle in Blimpie sandwiches and be in the theater for about 9 hours.

One theater in Manhattan, the Elgin, on 19th St., would have all-night screenings on Saturday nights in the summer, including four Marx Bros. movies and four Sam Peckinpah movies. We'd go in at midnight and come out into the bright morning sun. I remember taking my 15-year-old sister to the four Peckinpah films: JUNIOR BONNER, THE WILD BUNCH, STRAW DOGS and THE GETAWAY.

When BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (1973) came out, Fox introduced it by including it in a five-film APES marathon. My local theater showed the films out of order. The general consensus was that BATTLE was absolutely terrible.
Old 06-09-13, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to a couple of odd and a couple of cool double features back in the day. I remember watching The Witches of Eastwick (1987) and The Lost Boys (1987) back to back. A weird one was the advertized double feature Micki + Maude (1984) & The Hearse (1980). I'm still scratching my head over that pairing.
A pretty cool one was Fox's "Double Creature Feature" The Fly (1986) & Aliens (1986).

Last edited by hbilly; 06-09-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Years ago (40+) Times Square theaters (Manhattan) used to have Clint Eastwood quadruple features where you saw all three films from the "Man with No Name" trilogy (A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY) followed by his first starring American western, HANG 'EM HIGH. We would smuggle in Blimpie sandwiches and be in the theater for about 9 hours.

One theater in Manhattan, the Elgin, on 19th St., would have all-night screenings on Saturday nights in the summer, including four Marx Bros. movies and four Sam Peckinpah movies. We'd go in at midnight and come out into the bright morning sun. I remember taking my 15-year-old sister to the four Peckinpah films: JUNIOR BONNER, THE WILD BUNCH, STRAW DOGS and THE GETAWAY.

When BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES (1973) came out, Fox introduced it by including it in a five-film APES marathon. My local theater showed the films out of order. The general consensus was that BATTLE was absolutely terrible.
A local drive-in had the same Apes marathon. Also had the exact same Eastwood marathon only Coogan's Bluff was tacked on for good measure.

There was a 5 film Edgar Allan Poe marathon in the mid-sixties. All AIP Corman Poes.

Saw a Frankenfest. FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN/FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERORS THE WORLD/FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER/FRANKENSTEIN 1970/JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER.
Old 06-09-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

John Carpenter's "Apocalypse" Trilogy at the Aero Theater in 2011.

The Thing
In the Mouth of Madness
Prince of Darkness

John Carpenter introduced the event. All 3 flicks were presented in 35 mm. It was great.
Old 06-09-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Saw a Frankenfest. FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN/FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERORS THE WORLD/FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER/FRANKENSTEIN 1970/JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER.
Wow! Somebody had to go to a lot of work for that quintuple feature. I'm quite certain each of those films had to come from a different distributor. And each film is so different from the others. The person who programmed it sure knew his stuff. A Hammer horror, a Japanese monster, a western, an ultra low-budget U.S. cheapie, and one starring the original Frankenstein's monster himself, Boris Karloff! I imagine the "Space Monster" one must've been a chore to sit through so I'm hoping people used that to go to the bathroom, load up on food, or catch up on sleep.
Old 06-09-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll second the Star Wars Trilogy in 1985.

I also really enjoyed the Back to the Future triple feature in the early 90s that capped off with the 1st showing of part III. The theater doing this had a fleet of Deloreans outside and I still have my button that says "I've seen the future back-to-back-to-back."
Old 06-09-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only ever attended one movie marathon. It was last year leading up to The Avengers.

Iron Man/Incredible Hulk/Iron Man 2/Thor/Captain America/midnight screening of The Avengers.

I had seen all of the films except for Thor prior to attending, but it was pretty fun and now I can say I attended a movie marathon.

Marathons like the ones Ash has been talking about seem far more interesting to me, but do not seem to be done anymore. I'd like to attend a Butt-Numb-A-Thon some day as something so carefully programmed and varied seems much more interesting.

In the meantime, I just stick with home viewing marathons when I have the time. Watching 6-7 movies on a Saturday isn't the most productive use of time, but I like to enjoy it when I can.
Old 06-09-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Back in the day :

Flesh for Frankenstein / Blood for Dracula

The Streetfighter / Return of the Streetfighter / The Streetfighter's Last Revenge
*Jealous*

I'm sure this would've been fun:
Old 06-09-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

If Sweet Sugar is as good as the other three, I gotta check that out soon.
Old 06-09-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

All 8 Harry Potter Movies over two days at Marcus theater. It was awesome.
Old 06-09-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've only ever been to one, the Nolan Batman films. It was pretty fun and was a pretty good value as well.
Old 06-09-13, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I've only ever been to one, the Nolan Batman films. It was pretty fun and was a pretty good value as well.
Yep me too and I enjoyed it very much.
Old 06-09-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I went to Cinemark's Oscar nominee marathon earlier this year (spread out over two Saturdays)...it was a lot of fun because at that point I had only seen two of the nominees (Lincoln and Argo - both worth seeing a second time).

I also went to a LOTR marathon last year (weekend before THE HOBBIT came out).
Old 06-09-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't think I've watched more than two movies in a row at a theater.
Old 06-09-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only marathon I did in theaters was the Trilogy Tuesday for the Lord of the Rings in 2003. It was worth seeing Fellowship and Two Towers on the big screen in their extended edition along with Return of the King in its' theatrical version.

It was worth the $30 even though my assigned seat was in the back row all the way to the left and some idiot a few seats down kept rocking back and forth during the movies and constantly coming into my peripheral vision and distracting me. I still have the tickets, lanyard, and popcorn bucket.
Old 06-09-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Rambo

Rambo 4 was one of the best experiences I've ever had at the movies. The whole thing was fun.
Old 06-09-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
The only marathon I did in theaters was the Trilogy Tuesday for the Lord of the Rings in 2003. It was worth seeing Fellowship and Two Towers on the big screen in their extended edition along with Return of the King in its' theatrical version.

It was worth the $30 even though my assigned seat was in the back row all the way to the left and some idiot a few seats down kept rocking back and forth during the movies and constantly coming into my peripheral vision and distracting me. I still have the tickets, lanyard, and popcorn bucket.
You sure you remember that correctly?

The Extended Editions of any of the LOTR weren't out until the Fall of 2004, if memory serves me correctly. There's no way you saw the extended editions of the first two films before the theatrical cut of the third one. All 3 EE versions came out on DVD the following year at the same time.

I do recall a regular marathon where tickets were sold for the theatrical cuts of the first two and then the third one right after.
Old 06-09-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

The Extended Editions didn't all come out at once. They came out one by one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.