Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Nicholson's deal for playing the Joker $100M+

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Another incredible deal is the contract Jack Nicholson negotiated for the original Batman movie. In order to agree to play that film's iconic villain, The Joker, Nicholson secured a deal in which he would receive a piece of the profits of not only that movie, but any future sequels to the film. Regardless of whether he appeared in them or not. Jack eventually took home more than $100 million without lifting a finger.
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...illion-richer/

Did Nicholson make money off the TDK movies?
Old 04-28-13, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Jack Nicholson's deal for playing the Joker $100M+

It says "any future sequels to the film" from what they have there. Considering the Nolan films aren't sequels to that era, I'd say no.
Old 04-28-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

That's pretty ridiculous that he got paid to do nothing at all for three films (I'm guessing this is only counting the first four Batman films prior to the reboot). Honestly as much as I like Batman (1989) I'm really not even that overly impressed by his Joker portrayal. The biggest thing it had going for it was that they nailed his look. Aside from that as has been said in the past it more or less seemed like he was just playing himself but exaggerated.
Old 04-28-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Yep, one of the most legendary deals ever for an actor.
Old 04-28-13, 05:02 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

good for him... he was the only good thing about those first 4 Batman movies.
Old 04-28-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It says "any future sequels to the film" from what they have there. Considering the Nolan films aren't sequels to that era, I'd say no.
I wouldn't put it past a crafty lawyer to argue that the Nolan films count as sequels. So he may well have gotten paid for those as well.
Old 04-28-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's like the Hollywood equivalent of that deal the owners of the St. Louis Spirits got from the NBA. They get a share of the TV revenue every year, for a team that hasn't existed since 1976.
Old 04-28-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So he may well have gotten paid for those as well.
Given how much TDK & TDKR made, Nicholson would've gotten well over $100m even if it was a small piece of the pie, so I think it's just the direct sequels. But still, sweet deal for him.
Old 04-28-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Given how much TDK & TDKR made, Nicholson would've gotten well over $100m even if it was a small piece of the pie, so I think it's just the direct sequels. But still, sweet deal for him.
Depends on when that $100 million total was calculated. It's possible no one ever thought to later count BB, TDK, or TDKR. Would explain why you never hear from him. He's just rolling on a bed full of his sequel money.
Old 04-28-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
good for him... he was the only good thing about those first 4 Batman movies.
Old 04-28-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
Did Nicholson make money off the TDK movies?
Probably. Who knows how many points it is. And whether or not it's on the gross or net. And studio accounting is good at hiding money.

My guess is that it has something to do with the rights ownership. If WB had given up rights at some point, it would have 'reset' the deal. But they didn't. And Batman is still Batman.

I don't know. Just a guess.
Old 04-29-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I think he also received 20 million upfront (in 1989) for the role. Keaton got 8 million or something like that, if I remember correctly.
Old 04-29-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think he also received 20 million upfront (in 1989) for the role. Keaton got 8 million or something like that, if I remember correctly.
Well, Nicholson was essentially the star as it is and easily the name drawing non-Batman fans in to see the movie. I love Keaton but I don't really consider him a bankable star, even during his prime of the late 80s and early 90s.
Old 04-29-13, 11:23 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I'd like to know more about the deal and how it defines "sequel". Is Batman Forever really a sequel? It's not called Batman 3 after all. It doesn't have the same director or writer not do any of actors from the previous films return.
Old 04-29-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Tim Burton returns as producer (as well as another guy who is still a producer on every Batman film up to and including TDKR), and Pat Hingle and Michael Gough return from the previous films.
Old 04-29-13, 11:33 AM
Banned

Was Burton really a producer on all three Nolan films? Wow. Well it begs the question, did Nicholson get a piece of those films? Maybe he did. Whose to say what a sequel is or isn't. Clearly in most of our minds the Nolan films are a completely new series of films, but strictly speaking they are just three more films in a long line of WB produced Batman films. Where does it end? Does Nicholson have a piece of Mask of the Phantasm? The Animated Series?
Old 04-29-13, 11:47 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Well, Nicholson was essentially the star as it is and easily the name drawing non-Batman fans in to see the movie. I love Keaton but I don't really consider him a bankable star, even during his prime of the late 80s and early 90s.
Someone must've missed Mr. Mom!
Old 04-29-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Was Burton really a producer on all three Nolan films?
No, he was talking about a different producer (Michael Uslan).
Old 04-29-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wouldn't put it past a mildly competent lawyer to define sequels in the contract. So he may well have gotten paid for those as well.

Fixed.

Really, we cannot know if he got money for the reboots without looking at the contract he signed with Warner Bros.

If WB's attorneys left "sequels" undefined in the agreement then they deserve to be paying Jack for those too as it would be a HUGE oversight.
Old 04-29-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Those numbers can't be right. Keaton was basically an unknown and $20 million + a piece of the back end is impossible.
Where Jack really cleaned up was the licensing. He got a huge cut of the merchandizing and was actually involved in production. On the special features of the DVD he mentioned that he was doing everything he could to keep Joker products in stock at retailers.
Old 04-29-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Those numbers can't be right. Keaton was basically an unknown and $20 million + a piece of the back end is impossible.
Where Jack really cleaned up was the licensing. He got a huge cut of the merchandizing and was actually involved in production. On the special features of the DVD he mentioned that he was doing everything he could to keep Joker products in stock at retailers.
If somebody ever snuck a shot of Nicholson lugging boxes of Joker figurines through the Walmart shipping entrance, that would be priceless.
Old 04-29-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
If WB's attorneys left "sequels" undefined in the agreement then they deserve to be paying Jack for those too as it would be a HUGE oversight.
It is an interesting problem, what defines a "sequel."

Is any Batman movie going to be a sequel? Does it have to be produced by a certain person? A defined amount of time between movies? Common actors? Would a cold reboot count?

The problem with saying a reboot wouldn't count as a sequel would be an easy out for them to get out of paying Nicholson royalties. After Burton left, they could have just "rebooted" the franchise after Batman Returns and cut Jack out of his contracted lucre.
Old 04-29-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Keaton was far from an unknown in 1989. He already starred in movies like Night Shift, Mr. Mom, Gung Ho, Beetlejuice ... he was one of the biggest comedy stars at the time. Of course, the big debate at the time was why he was cast as Batman. But a strong 7 figure salary was what he was getting then.
Old 04-29-13, 05:26 PM
Banned

Upon thinking about it more I call bullshit on the original quote:
Another incredible deal is the contract Jack Nicholson negotiated for the original Batman movie. In order to agree to play that film's iconic villain, The Joker, Nicholson secured a deal in which he would receive a piece of the profits of not only that movie, but any future sequels to the film. Regardless of whether he appeared in them or not.
While Nicholson famously negotiated a great deal for himself and it has been widely reported that he made over $100 million from the film I don't think he made any money from subsequent films. His $100+ million was made because he had back-end points on the film (which set a new record for highest grossing film ever) and he had a percentage of the merchandising to what was probably the biggest merchandised film ever. I think the part about future sequels just isn't true. Can anyone show another source for that detail?
Old 04-29-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Batman never set a record for highest grossing film ever. E.T. maintained that until Jurassic Park.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.