Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Overlook Hotel (D: Romanek) - The Shining Prequel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-06-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Shining sequel (book) and movie prequel

I really don''t think The Shining needs a prequel. The sequel to The Shining just just sounds silly.

In addition to “Doctor Sleep,” Stephen King’s upcoming sequel to 1977’s “The Shining,” now Stanley Kubrick’s 1980 film adaptation is being primed for a prequel. How’s that for going back to the well?

King’s tale of the thoroughly haunted Overlook Hotel was a best-seller, and his distaste for Kubrick’s take – starring Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duval as a frustrated writer and his meek wife– led to a 1997 miniseries that stayed more faithful to the novel.

“Doctor Sleep” promises to relate the story of Danny Torrance, the telepathic boy whose father, the writer, goes insane at the Overlook, according to FirstShowing.net. Danny’s own “shining” – his supernatural capacities – leads him to a child with even stronger powers, and into a position as her guardian from an evil group, the True Knot, who prolong their lives by torturing the life-force out of children who shine. Sounds like classic wacko King – and the author himself promises “a return to balls-to-the-wall, keep-the-lights-on horror.”

Meanwhile, no details have emerged regarding the script workshop in progress, save that Laeta Kalogridis, Bradley Fischer and James Vanderbilt are involved. The screenwriters’ credits include “Shutter Island,” “Zodiac” and the recent “Amazing Spider-Man.”

But it doesn’t seem to us that a cash-grab prequel will serve King’s universe of supernatural terror well. He quibbled with Kubrick’s decision to imply that Nicholson’s character had been insane before arriving at the hotel; a prequel that further establishes this chain of events would seem to go wholeheartedly against that grain. As Danny's demon Tony would say, I don’t want to go there, Mrs. Torrance.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/pag...l-film-prequel
Old 08-06-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Shining sequel (book) and movie prequel

A prequel could be interesting, if done right, but if King's involved it won't be. Plus, I think things are better left unexplained.

The sequel sounds horrifying, all right.
Old 08-06-12, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that a sequel sounds really unnecessary. I'm interested on what they could do with a prequel, though. As long as the direction is correct and the right people are involved, it could be good. I would love it if they were to just show the history on the property itself, that would be really awesome. If done correctly, this could be a really creepy and cool concept. Otherwise, it will be a train wreck. I have a feeling this is going to be either great or horrible and not one of those middle of the road type films.
Old 08-07-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm totally down for this. I think there's plenty of things they could do with the script/story that would make it interesting. If you add a solid director in there, could see this being good.

Never read King's original novel of The Shining, but Kubrick's adaptation is one of my favorite films of all-time.

Has anyone ever checked out the miniseries from the 1990s that aired on TV? Thoughts?
Old 08-07-12, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Never read King's original novel of The Shining, but Kubrick's adaptation is one of my favorite films of all-time.

Has anyone ever checked out the miniseries from the 1990s that aired on TV? Thoughts?
The original novel is still considered one of King's best.

The miniseries is faithful to the book and would have benefited from being on a cable channel with higher caliber actors.

Kubrick's "adaptation" is, well, it's a movie.
Old 08-07-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
I'm totally down for this. I think there's plenty of things they could do with the script/story that would make it interesting. If you add a solid director in there, could see this being good.

The mini-series is embarrassingly terrible. Slow, amateurish, cheesey.

I cite it is an example of why movies cannot be "faithful" to the book. The pacing of a story in a book is different than in a movie. Keeping certain material just because it was in the book makes your movie clunky, unfocused, and boring.

I admire Stephen King like no other writer. He has written great books. He is a great writer. But as happens with many artists, the quality of his work has changed. His new Shining book may be entertaining, but it will be cartoony and goofy. No one writing a truely frightening book would describe it with the phrase "balls-to-the-wall, keep the lights on horror".
Old 08-07-12, 01:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think King is a great writer. He's able to write page turners, but nothing that ever stuck with me. His Dark Tower stuff is the best, IMO. As for this, it's nonsense. There's no need for a prequel or sequel. And Kubrick's film is masterful.
Old 08-07-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
And Kubrick's film is masterful.
I Agree!

Old 08-07-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kubrick's adaptation > King's Novel
Old 08-07-12, 02:03 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think King is a great writer. He's able to write page turners, but nothing that ever stuck with me. His Dark Tower stuff is the best, IMO. As for this, it's nonsense. There's no need for a prequel or sequel. And Kubrick's film is masterful.
I agree with everything you just said. King is a good storyteller, but a poor writer IMO.

As for The Shining, I neither want a sequel nor a prequel, and certainly not one that doesn't have Kubrick at the helm. King was too focused on implementing his own issues into his work (alcoholism, namely) and making his character a heroic figure in the end, while Kubrick took more of a supernatural approach that placed more of an emphasis on the hotel. I think Kubrick's approach worked far better in the genre of horror.

Also, in the book Jack Torrance goes on a rampage with a croquet mallet. Enough said.
Old 08-07-12, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think King is a great writer. He's able to write page turners
This is the popular rap against King. It becomes difficult to defend him as the years go on. The sheer number of crummy books he's published diminish his better work. You could point to many writers and say they've got five good books and two crummy ones. For King's 5 or so great books there's probably an insane 15 or 20 bad ones.

King's best work contain insight into human nature, he is a fantastic developer of character, imagery is strong, the prose is neither dull nor too simplistic.

King has been writing a long time, and in a lot of different styles. He isn't afraid to experiment. I learned a lot about different writing techniques from his work.

The book of his hold the highest, the one I expect to outlive us all is PET SEMETARY. I re-read it every couple of years and find the older I get, the more horrible the story becomes. I think soon the terror of what that story says about death and grief will be unbearable.
Old 08-07-12, 03:10 PM
Banned by request

I just think that of the popular authors out there, he's not one who commands my attention. His writing isn't bad, but it's also not exceptional. If I want great horror and a boundless imagination, I turn to Clive Barker.
Old 08-07-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since I was such a fan of the movie, I once tried to read The Shining. Gave up 3/4 of the way through out of sheer boredom.
Old 08-07-12, 04:45 PM
Banned by request

I could never make it all the way through The Stand. So uninteresting.
Old 08-07-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Prequel: Rise of the Shining

Sequel: Shine Again
Old 08-07-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Sequel: Shine Again
I can think of a much worse title.
Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Doctor Sleep
Old 08-08-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm looking forward to the movie that is not a sequel, prequel or remake. So, I'll wait five years then.
Old 08-08-12, 12:02 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I don't care that King didn't particularly care for Kubrick's rendition of The Shining, it beat the pants off the miniseries.

I honestly don't think The Shining needs a prequel ~or~ a sequel, it did just fine on its own. -kd5-
Old 08-08-12, 01:13 PM

I just think that of the popular authors out there, he's not one who commands my attention. His writing isn't bad, but it's also not exceptional. If I want great horror and a boundless imagination, I turn to Clive Barker.
Barker is my favorite author (if only his output wasn't so sporadic these days), but I love King, too. Duma Key and Bag of Bones are beautifully written & I think it's criminal how much The Tommyknockers is looked down upon; some stretches read like Saul Bellow trying his hand at mass-market horror.
Old 08-08-12, 04:47 PM
Banned by request

Neil Gaiman is my favorite living author.
Old 08-08-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Stephen King's books are a torture to read, he just goes on, and on and on. Yawn...
Old 04-11-13, 03:05 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Glen Mazzara, who ran AMC’s smash hit series The Walking Dead for the past several seasons, will now focus on ghosts. He’s in talks to write The Overlook Hotel, a prequel to the Stanley Kubrick-directed The Shining, based on the Stephen King novel. The film is being developed at Warner Bros to be produced by Mythology Entertainment’s Bradley Fischer, James Vanderbilt and Laeta Kalogridis.

While King wasn’t crazy about the Kubrick movie, there are so many iconic images in that movie, and an outsized performance by Jack Nicholson, that this will be a tough act to follow. Mazzara is an interesting choice. He succeeded Frank Darabont on The Walking Dead, and while it seemed he clashed with graphic novel creator Robert Kirkman — he was dropped as showrunner in December — I think he did a fabulous job in moving forward and giving context to what Darabont started. I’ve never seen a series quite like it, and there are plenty of ghostly nuggets from the formative days of that haunted hotel that were dropped in the book and the Kubrick movie that make me eager to see what Mazzara does with this prequel. King, of course, has completed Doctor Sleep, a sequel to his The Shining novel that focuses on an adult Danny Torrance (the Redrum kid). Can’t get enough of this stuff. Mazzara is repped by CAA.
Old 04-11-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: ‘Walking Dead’s Glen Mazzara Set To Write ‘The Shining’ Prequel

I feel sad when I read things like this. So the only project Mazzara can get going is one that borrows all its interest from another persons work? Talk about creative bankruptcy.
Old 04-11-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Fuck everyone involved with this. Totally unnecessary.
Old 04-11-13, 03:17 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

This...does not sound like a good idea.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.