Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The foreign releases currently being shown on the big screen thread (also smaller US)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The foreign releases currently being shown on the big screen thread (also smaller US)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Just because I hate creating new threads for each movie I see

The last one I saw was New World, Korean subtitled movie about the mafia.

Basic movie plot:

Spoiler:
Corporation is a shill for the Korean mafia, they gun down the big honcho (within 10 minutes of the film starting), the rest of the film is about an informant the police have inside (also revealed early on) and who is going to succeed as the leader of the company.

I have yet to see a foreign movie I've disliked, and of the smaller U.S. releases, I've only hated Greedy Lying Bastards and just because it felt like it was trying to shove its agenda down my throat rather than present facts and figures while lambasting the other side for doing just that.

These are the releases I've seen, I'll start updating it.

Foreign:
  • The Other Son - Israeli - Switched at birth, Israel/Palestinian style.
  • Simon And The Oak - Swedish - Jew and non-Jew boys and their friendship during World War II
  • The Tower - Korean - High-rise catches fire with people trapped inside
  • One More Try - Filipino - Guy and girl have boy, boy has rare disease, they need to grow a sibling, but whoops they have both moved on to new spouse/boyfriend who do not appreciate the situation
  • A Moment In Time - Filipino - boy meets girl, boy is a**hole to girl, will they end up together at the end, Filipino style.
  • Kai Po Che! - Indian - Boys and their cricket (which is the major Indian sport, I learned)
  • The Berlin File - Korean - Espionage.
  • New World - Korean mafia
  • No - Chilean drama with Gael Garcia Bernal about the vote to get Pinochet out of power. Bernal is so hot, makes you want to just stroke his face. Really liked it, but I was probably just drooling most of the film.
  • Fists of Legend (not the Jet Li one) - Korean UFC. I'm a sucker for anything martial arts and this was well done.
  • It Takes a Man and a Woman - part III of a boy meets girl will they end up together, Filipino style. Caught up with the first two on Wikipedia. Very funny, and the whole theater (me included) kept erupting in laughter. And Filipinos are hot.

Smaller U.S. release:
  • Bless Me, Ultima! - smaller U.S. release - Mexican "curandera"/witch and her exploits and their influence on a young boy.
  • Emperor - Smaller U.S. release - should the emperor at the time of Pearl Harbor be tried as a war criminal.
  • West of Memphis - Smaller U.S. release - The Memphis 3 doc.
  • Any Day Now - smaller U.S. release - gay couple wants to adopt the Down Syndrome son of a woman in jail for drugs
  • Greedy Lying Bastards - Smaller U.S. release - effect of gas/oil on global warming and fires
  • Murph The Protector - Bada$$ Navy SEAL documentary

Next up are The Gatekeepers Friday about an Israeli security firm and BURN Tuesday about Detroid firefighters. I go to all of the ones that they show. It's hard sometimes because some of them are just shown for like 3 days before the disappear, but so far I've only missed one (can't remember what it was about). I love the foreign ones specially.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-17-13 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: The foreign releases currently being shown on the big screen thread (also smaller

Studio Ghibli's latest anime drama, FROM UP ON POPPY HILL, is playing in selected cities. Mostly the English dub version, but some Japanese-language/English subtitled prints are circulating. I've seen it and can recommend it.

Here's the link with info on theaters:

http://www.gkids.tv/poppyhilltickets/
Old 03-29-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The foreign releases currently being shown on the big screen thread (also smaller

What I'd recommend in terms of release dates: http://boxofficemojo.com/schedule/

It doesn't update limited releases unless they do a wide expansion, but the site is usually 99% accurate on what opens every weekend.

Vegas has been getting better at booking independent and foreign fare. Obviously Regal Village Square Stadium 18 and Century 16 Suncoast are the two that have been constantly booking that content for years and continue to do so (just look at the area). However, AMC Town Square 18, Brenden Theatres & IMAX, and Regal Colonnade Stadium 14 have been booking more indepedent fare recently too.

We still continue to not get Magnolia/Magnet (fuck Mark Cuban) and Anchor Bay releases.
Old 03-29-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bless Me, Ultima! - smaller U.S. release - Mexican "curandera"/witch and her exploits and their influence on a young boy.
It doesn't sound like it's that faithful to the video game.
Old 04-17-13, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw three yesterday.

- No - Chilean drama with Gael Garcia Bernal about the vote to get Pinochet out of power. Bernal is so hot, makes you want to just stroke his face. Really liked it, but I was probably just drooling most of the film.
- Fists of Legend (not the Jet Li one) - Korean UFC. I'm a sucker for anything martial arts and this was well done.
- It Takes a Man and a Woman - part III of a boy meets girl will they end up together, Filipino style. Caught up with the first two on Wikipedia. Very funny, and the whole theater (me included) kept erupting in laughter. And Filipinos are hot.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-17-13 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-17-13, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Studio Ghibli's latest anime drama, FROM UP ON POPPY HILL, is playing in selected cities. Mostly the English dub version, but some Japanese-language/English subtitled prints are circulating. I've seen it and can recommend it.

Here's the link with info on theaters:

http://www.gkids.tv/poppyhilltickets/
Just saw the trailer today!! It struck me because it was the first time I have seen anime on the big screen. I'll catch it when it comes out.
Old 04-19-13, 02:43 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Can we change thread title to "Movies that will never play anywhere near me"?
Old 04-19-13, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Can we change thread title to "Movies that will never play anywhere near me"?
You'd have to start that thread since it wouldn't make sense with GatorDeb posting that title.

What is considered a small or limited release these days? The last even semi-limited movie I can recall seeing is Stoker (275 theaters).
Old 04-19-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quite a bit coming up for me actually this week:
* The Sapphires
* Blancanieves
* Home Run
* Lords of Salem
* Lore
* Filly Brown

Last edited by GatorDeb; 04-19-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-19-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Quite a bit coming up for me actually this week:
* The Sapphires
* Blancanieves
* Home Run
* Lords of Salem? m not n?
* Lore
* Filly Brown
That is a foreign movie?

Dammit GatorDeb thread. nevermind...
Old 04-19-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is a foreign movie?

Dammit GatorDeb thread. nevermind...
"and smaller U.S. releases"

Dammit people who can't read.... nevermind....
Old 04-19-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Lords of Saline is only playing in like 5 theaters so that'd definitely count there
Old 04-26-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

This thread got me thinking...what happened to all the great discussion we used to have about foreign movies. Years back I could not wait to get into the Internation DVD Talk theads. That has pretty much died out. Are there not any interesting foreign movies worth discussion anymore?

Versus
The Host
The Returner
Oldboy
Ichi The Killer
Time and Tide
Battle Royale
Casshern
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Drive ( one of my favorite movies of all time now because of the directors cut)
Jackie Chan movies etc... the list goes on. Most of them I learned about there and have generally enjoyed. I spent a ton on the DVD's also but for the most part it was worth it. Now? I have no idea what interesting foreign movies are coming out or have been released anymore. Occasionally there is a good one on Netflix but that is about it. So what gives?
Old 05-11-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just caught Blancanieves, the silent Spanish reworking of "Snow White". Really unique and fantastic, I thought:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HanTDiiZLpg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>