Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Chu, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Chu, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
0%
2.04%
20.41%
20.41%
22.45%
20.41%
8.16%
2.04%
2.04%
0%
0%
Yo Joe? Hell No!
2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 07:57 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"G.I. Joe: Retaliation" (Starring: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Channing Tatum, Jonathan Pryce, Byung-hun Lee, Bruce Willis, Ray Stevenson, Arnold Vosloo, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park)

Release Date:
3/28/2013

Rating:
PG-13 (for for intense sequences of combat violence and martial arts action and for brief sensuality and language throughout)

Running Time:
110min. (1h. 50m.)

Budget:
$185 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Framed for crimes against the country, the G.I. Joe team is terminated by the President's order, and the surviving team members face off against Zartan, his accomplices, and the world leaders he has under his influence.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.3 (863 votes as of 3/26/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:11 Rotten:04 (73% as of 3/26/13)

Metacritic:
00 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 3/26/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="357"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/68952"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/68952" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="357"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Old 03-26-13, 07:59 AM

Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Chu, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

i have off and am actually looking forward to seeing this Thursday.
Old 03-26-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Don't have it off on Thursday but will go straightaway after work that day.
Old 03-26-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ive got tickets for tomorrow night at 10. Can't wait!
Old 03-26-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My local theater in Syracuse is having a screening tonight at 7 in 3D. Any idea why they would be showing it tonight?
Old 03-26-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quack
My local theater in Syracuse is having a screening tonight at 7 in 3D. Any idea why they would be showing it tonight?
So you can go see it tonight and later post your review in this thread. Duh!
Old 03-26-13, 12:31 PM

just got a free ticket from buying The Italian Job @ Best Buy. now, even more stoked!
Old 03-26-13, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming the remake and not the original.
Old 03-26-13, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
correct. Hollywood Movie Money on others as well: M:I, M:I 2, M:I 3, M:I Ghost Protocol, Transformers 1 & 2, Minority Report, and a few others that i don't recall.
Old 03-26-13, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really wish the original would get a BD here. Really enjoy that one.
Old 03-26-13, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Off topic note, then you can return to regular programming... The original Italian Job should eventually show up here in the states on BD. It was done about 3 years ago for the UK. - I assume Warner will eventually get to it.

fitprod
Old 03-26-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fitprod
Off topic note, then you can return to regular programming... The original Italian Job should eventually show up here in the states on BD. It was done about 3 years ago for the UK. - I assume Warner will eventually get to it.

fitprod
Old 03-26-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So you can go see it tonight and later post your review in this thread. Duh!
Not for $14. Would rather use my free tix from the Transformers Bluray I got instead.
Old 03-26-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I saw this on Saturday at our local base theater in 3D. It's one of those movies that I felt one way about as I first left the theater, but the more I thought about it, my attitude towards it has changed, and I may actually go see it again. I went into the theater with the first movie, which i liked, fresh on my mind. This movie is a completely different kind of film. Though the threat is global, it is actually a more focused film, concentrating mainly on Roadblock, Lady Jaye, another guy whose name escapes me, and the relationship between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. Once Bruce Willis' Joe joins in the action, the plot really kicks in, and most everyone gets a chance to shine. On Cobra's side, the faux president is actually an enjoyable highlight, and Firefly is an interesting addition.

The only thing I think I still don't like is the shoehorned scenes emphasizing the relationship between Roadblock and Duke, which later drives a lot of Roadblock's motivation.

Anyway, upon reflection, it's a decent actioner that is not nearly as cartoony or over the top as the first movie. I would be interested in seeing where it goes next.
Old 03-26-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good interview with Chu. Some spoilers, but he basically talks about having to fix the mess ROC left behind.

Jon Chu, 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' Director, On Making A G.I. Joe Movie That Feels Like A G.I. Joe Movie

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2952135.html

This part makes me happy about Cobra Commander:

Yes. Yes. And how much presence Cobra Commander was going to be in this movie. We had so many other characters already built in, I just kept trying to push that we needed to have Cobra Commander be the main guy that they fight at the end
Old 03-26-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Cautiously optimistic about this one.
Old 03-26-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fan review from Hiss Tank

Spoiler:
This is the G.I.Joe Film the fire breathing fan base has been waiting for! For us hard core fans, we view these comic book movies with a lot more pride and scrutiny, then the average movie going audience. Having more of a vested interest because we collect the toys and stay current with the G.I.Joe brand, as a group we expect Retaliation to deliver on all fronts.

The start of the film has an action sequence that felt like a live action G.I.Joe Resolute cartoon, followed up by a story that was obviously heavily influenced by Larry Hama, and the ARAH comics of the golden age of G.I.Joe. Hats of to Jon Chu for being able to put together a real G.I.Joe movie that fans can enjoy. Chu was able to keep the core spirit of the G.I.Joe team, and made Cobra stand out with a classic feel.

I'm going to tell you right now, go see it in 3D. For a film that was shot with no intent to be shown in 3D, you will miss out if you just go to a standard viewing. The extra time that Jon Chu was given to convert G.I.Joe Retaliation into 3D was time and money well spent. It was very clean and no scene felt rushed in production. Ninja's in 3D, you're doing it right.

I'm not going to post spoilers on the front page, but when you go see the film, pay attention at the start for potential characters in future films. The prison holds a few more Cobra's then we had knowledge of in the past. G.I.Joe Retaliation is loaded with fanboy goodness so enjoy the ride but keep your eyes open.

In closing, I really feel the G.I.Joe fan base finally has a movie we can be proud of. After all the drama and delays, Retaliation is out in the wild for us to enjoy. There is no doubt this film will be bringing in a new generation of G.I.Joe fans to the community. This time around they will have a better understanding of the creative foundation that made this brand a Pop Culture Icon.
Old 03-26-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

A friend of mine saw it tonight and said that it rocked.
Old 03-27-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just saw it today. I love it!
Old 03-27-13, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So anyone care to spoil the Cobra cameos in the prison?
Old 03-27-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I don't think there is really anything to spoil and is nothing to get excited about.
Spoiler:
the prison houses cobra commander and destro

How they ever thought this movie was going to come out in 2D is beyond me - 90% of the shots feel like they were framed for 3D and the conversion process has worked beautifully. The IMAX 3D presentation I saw was excellent and the sound on this thing is a beast. The mountain sequence's use of sound was great and the action was a lot of fun. Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes once again steal the movie, but this time that isn't an easy feat since we've got Willis and The Rock doing there best to be great action heroes.

It is awesome to have a proper Cobra Commander on the screen and while I wish he was in it more, I think they chose wisely without going for overkill. Adrienne Palicki is looking hot as hell and there is a great scene with Walton Goggins that is a highlight too. I liked the early scenes between The Rock and Channing Tatum, giving Duke and Roadblock some backstory (and not a single mention of Ripcord!). Tatum has more personality in less screen time here than he did in the entire first film. It still has some over-the-top cartoonish moments, but not nearly as many eye roll inducing ones that Rise of Cobra was filled with. I will say hands down the WORST part of the movie is RZA, the dude nearly derails the whole picture. Thankfully he is in and out quickly, but my God does he stand out like a sore thumb.

If you can go with it, you'll have a great time.
Old 03-27-13, 08:57 AM
Suspended

I would love to see this at IMAX but the one at Henry Ford Museum isn't playing it. Isn't the IMAX that is at regular theaters not as good as the giant one at HFM?
Old 03-27-13, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the deal Joseph Gordon-Leavitt isn't Cobra Commander in this one?
Old 03-27-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Didn't even know this was out already. It's a big franchise, they went out of their way to re-shoot to add more Channing Tatum, and they bury it at the end of March??
Old 03-27-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
they went out of their way to re-shoot to add more Channing Tatum
Bullshit rumour. There was only one small pickup before Paramount decided to delay the movie. Adding more Channing Tatum wasn't the reason for the delay. Converting the movie to 3D was the sole reason.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.