Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013, D: Moore) - The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: A Good Day to Die Hard - The Reviews Thread
3.17%
0%
7.94%
7.94%
9.52%
25.40%
9.52%
9.52%
11.11%
3.17%
3.17%
Please let this franchise yippeekiay off into the sunset
9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013, D: Moore) - The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: A Good Day to Die Hard (2013, D: Moore) - The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I thought McTiernan had already done his time in prison. Guess not.
No, he's just been trying to argue himself out of prison for years and years and it sounds like the final hammer has come down just last month.
Old 02-16-13, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Haha. Die Hard IN SPACE.
In Space, No One Can Hear You DIE HARD

or

DIE HARD TO INFINITY AND BEYOND
Old 02-16-13, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5 star review Rockmjd23?

A Good Day to Troll Hard.
Old 02-16-13, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This really should have been a movie where Willis teamed up with a Moscow detective to track down some sort of smugglers. Like a French Connection 2/ reverse-Red Heat type of movie but with more 'splosions.
Old 02-16-13, 06:05 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmanca
This really should have been a movie where Willis teamed up with a Moscow detective to track down some sort of smugglers. Like a French Connection 2/ reverse-Red Heat type of movie but with more 'splosions.
Actually this was the idea fpr the plot for the 4th Beverly Hills Cop movie except it would have had Axel Foley in London searching for some smugglers. They ended up scrapping the idea I guess and are now just doing a tv show.
Old 02-16-13, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
5 star review Rockmjd23?

A Good Day to Troll Hard.
C'mon, I gave them plenty of extra credit for the best urban assault vehicle since Stripes and wrecking the most cars since Cannonball Run or Smokey and the Bandit. OK, I relent, five is stretching it no matter how you look at it.
Old 02-16-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
In Space, No One Can Hear You DIE HARD

or

DIE HARD TO INFINITY AND BEYOND
I think it's time to drop the die and call it... SPACE HARD.
Old 02-16-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

I saw it last night and thought it was just okay. It felt like it was missing something and I agree with someone I heard who said it almost felt like it was another script that was retooled as a Die Hard film. Overall it had some good action and Willis can still bring it. I'm curious about the director's cut that was referenced in that Empire article as it did feel like parts were missing and possibly cut.

Overall my ranking of the films thus far would be:
Die Hard
Die Hard with a Vengeance
Live Free or Die Hard
A Good Day to Die Hard
Die Hard 2: Die Harder
Old 02-16-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Amazing how far this series has coasted on only one truly classic movie.
Old 02-16-13, 01:54 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

It's absolutely absurd that someone would rank this higher than Die Hard 2.
Old 02-16-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
It's absolutely absurd that someone would rank this higher than Die Hard 2.
I assume that's directed at me. I liked it more so sue me. Die Hard 2 was never great and has always by far been the weakest entry in the series to me.
Old 02-16-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, this director certainly knows how to make a loud action movie, but not necessarily a good one. I gave it 2.5 stars, but I was being generous. This is easily my least favorite and the worst in the franchise IMHO. The car chase was fun but defied logic and physics. I would have liked a longer film that included character development. Instead, we got almost nonstop action that's over-the-top ridiculous at times, and a few moments that left me scratching my head: Why weren't the McClanes worried about exposure to radiation once the were inside the nuclear plant? Why weren't the McClanes injured at all when John purposefully blew up a room that had a gas leak? I suppose John fake laughing as a stall tactic right before he and his son were going to be shot was a nod to the original film, but it felt silly and forced. I got tired of John whining that he was on vacation. (I suppose he was on vacation as far as his employer was concerned even though we knew he was there to rescue his son.) I'm glad Mary Elizabeth Whitehead made a cameo as Lucy to further link the movies together, but I wish she'd played a bigger role. I'd like to see them tie everything up in a sixth film and close the series on a high note (if that's possible). I'd hate for the franchise to end with this one, which they could have called F@ck Off and Die Hard because it was an insult to the audience and nothing more than an attempt to milk the cow some more.
Old 02-16-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

Just finished it. Two and a half stars. Stuff blew up, loved seeing Willis reprise his role.

Otherwise it was meh.
Old 02-16-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

I loved it! A Good Day To Die Hard is easily the best of the entire franchise. Even better than the first. The humor, the action, the setting - it's all fantastic!

OK, not really. But none of us were expecting it to be that good, were we?

I was hoping that it would match Live Free Or Die Hard, but it didn't.

For me the entire series has been slowly but surely declining the whole way through...

Die Hard - 5/5
Die Hard 2 - 4.5/5
Die Hard With A Vengeance - 4.25/5
Live Free or Die Hard - 4/5
A Good Day To Die Hard - 3.75/5

The bad guys were underwhelming (making the bad guy from Live Free look like Hans Gruber by comparison), the setting didn't feel AT ALL like a Die Hard movie, and worst of all - John McClane is relegated to sidekick status for much of the movie. He's just along for the ride. He's not leading the way, he's following his son's lead for much of the movie.

But there are some good (if totally ridiculous and over the top) action scenes and John McClane is wisecracking throughout (and that's a good thing as McClane is one of the most likeable action heroes in movie history).

As the movie moves at a breakneck pace it does have some solid entertainment value. It's not a total loss. It's not bad. It's just nowhere near what it should have been.

I still say that they should do one more and bring it full circle. Trap McClane in a building with the bad guys and actually let him be a detective like he was in the other Die Hard movies. An action movie detective, but a detective all the same. Scale it back. Make it more human. And spend a little more time developing the story and the script!
Old 02-16-13, 05:33 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Just finished it. Two and a half stars. Stuff blew up, loved seeing Willis reprise his role.

Otherwise it was meh.

What role was he reprising? John McClane certainly wasn't in this one.
Old 02-16-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The bad guys were underwhelming (making the bad guy from Live Free look like Hans Gruber by comparison), the setting didn't feel AT ALL like a Die Hard movie, and worst of all - John McClane is relegated to sidekick status for much of the movie. He's just along for the ride. He's not leading the way, he's following his son's lead for much of the movie.
The more I think of it I kind of agree that this was one of the film's problems. He did sort of seem like he was just along for the ride instead of taking charge and leading the way. It sort of felt like the whole movie he was never in full on John McClane badass mode. That felt a bit weird to me as people are seeing these movies for John McClane not Jack McClane.
Old 02-16-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed
Old 02-16-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts

God, I hope they don't start a franchise with the son.

Son of Die Hard. Yipppeekayyah mother and father.
Old 02-16-13, 07:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous

agreed
the guy is annoying as sin, but he pretty much nailed it when talking about the film's (many) flaws. As pertaining to the action, the whole movie resembled one long violent video game, where character exposition means utterly nothing.
Old 02-16-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Why weren't the McClanes worried about exposure to radiation once the were inside the nuclear plant?
The villains had a weird magic thing that sucked the radiation out of rooms. Exactly how it worked was a mystery to me, but at that point it made as much sense as anything else that was happening in the movie.
Old 02-16-13, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
As pertaining to the action, the whole movie resembled one long violent video game, where character exposition means utterly nothing.
Speaking of long violent videogames (albeit one with copious amounts of exposition), anyone else picture Bruce Willis while playing Max Payne 3?
Old 02-17-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody defending this movie..uugh.

What a waste of a movie night. Finally, a night free of the kids and the wife, and I go see this pile of shit.

First, Bruce Willis is playing Bruce Willis, not John McClane. I guess he did this in 4 as well, but this time he just yells "i'm on vacation" like 10 times. That's it. Compare "I'm on vacation" with some of his quotes from the original..

Second, the movie employs every dumb cliche in the book.
Spoiler:
Villian who takes his time killing our heroes. By the way, how did the son get his knife out when there was a bad guy right behind him? Plus the radiation at Cherynobyl.
Old 02-17-13, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
I think it's time to drop the die and call it... SPACE HARD.
No, it should be called "Just Die". As in, this long drawn out tired series.
Old 02-17-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The presence of a son is not an indication of anything. The presence of the daughter in the last one wasn't an indication of a spin-off, so why this, when he makes no references whatsoever to passing on the mantle or anything like that?

Of course, people think the moment at the end of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -- a moment that is specifically and directly refuting the idea that Mutt would be a Jones replacement -- is doing that as well, so I guess there's no way to not make people think that.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I agree with someone I heard who said it almost felt like it was another script that was retooled as a Die Hard film.
Actually, they were referring to all the other movies: Die Hard was based on a book, and a sequel to The Detective, Die Hard 2 was based on an unrelated book by a different author, Die Hard 3 was a script called Simon Says and considered for Lethal Weapon, and Die Hard 4 was a script called ww3.com, as well as a Wired magazine article. This is the first Die Hard to be written solely as a Die Hard movie.
Old 02-17-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119

Actually, they were referring to all the other movies: Die Hard was based on a book, and a sequel to The Detective, Die Hard 2 was based on an unrelated book by a different author, Die Hard 3 was a script called Simon Says and considered for Lethal Weapon, and Die Hard 4 was a script called ww3.com, as well as a Wired magazine article. This is the first Die Hard to be written solely as a Die Hard movie.
I actually noted earlier that this one is the first one that feels like it was written for something else and adapted for a Die Hard movie. I noted that for the very reason that you posted above - none of the first four movies were original Die Hard story ideas, and yet they always turned out feeling like original script ideas (for the most part).

This one just seems forced. Like they were trying to fit in the conventional Die Hard plot ideas into another script or story. And that's ironic given the fact that it is really the first original story used in the series.

I don't think that A Good Day To Die Hard is a bad movie, but it is clearly the least worthy of the entire series, and isn't all that good, either. I'd hate for the series to end this way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.