Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Monkey King (S: Donnie Yen; D: Cheang Pou-soi)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-06-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eM2TM9OPaD4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

According to wikipedia, this was shot in IMAX 3D. The cast is the following:

Donnie Yen as Sun Wukong, the Monkey King
Chow Yun-fat as the Jade Emperor
Aaron Kwok as Bull Demon King
Joe Chen as Princess Iron Fan
Peter Ho as Erlang Shen
Kelly Chen as Guan Yin
Zhang Zilin as Nwa
Gigi Leung as Chang'e
Xia Zitong as the Nine-tailed Vixen
Louis Fan as Juling Shen

When the film was first announced, both Jet Li and Donnie Yen were eyed for a role. On 18 May 2010, Yen was confirmed to be playing the title role of the Monkey King. The film was originally budgeted at 300 million yuan but later was raised to 400 million yuan. Filmko and Mandarin Films share in a 65% and 35% split the production cost. Later, it was announced Chow Yun-fat and Aaron Kwok will be playing the Jade Emperor and Bull Demon King respectively. Kwok's role is said to be breaking traditions for being handsome, stylish and fighting for love. Additional cast members were later announced including Cecilia Cheung, Gigi Leung, Kelly Chen, Peter Ho, Joe Chen and Liu Ye. On 17 May 2011, Zhang Zilin, winner of Miss World 2007, confirmed that she joined the film, playing the role of Nwa, replacing Cecilia Cheung, who was originally announced in the role. However, Zhang claimed that she never heard that Cheung was to be in the film.

For the 3-D shoot, Filmko recruited Hollywood talents. The crew includes David Ebner (Alice in Wonderland, Spider-Man 3), who will serve as visual effects supervisor for the film and Shaun Smith (The Forbidden Kingdom, 300, I Am Legend) who will be the special make-up supervisor.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-06-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Monkey King (S: Donnie Yen; D: Cheang Pou-soi)

The narration on that trailer is beyond terrible.
Old 02-06-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Monkey King (S: Donnie Yen; D: Cheang Pou-soi)

Donnie Yen's a bit too old to be playing the Monkey King. Forgive me if I stick with the anime version, "Dragon Ball."