Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films that wouldn't get made today

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Films that wouldn't get made today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: Films that wouldn't get made today

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The Christian and Queer genres, from what I see, are literally the worst quality film genres here in the US. All about the message but no craft to object giving the message. Not sure which is worse though...it's that damn close.
The Queer films tend to have better sex scenes than the Christian movies, giving them a slight edge.
Old 02-08-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the mid-budget hit dramas and thrillers popular in the 80s and 90s wouldn't be made today.
Old 02-08-15, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
The Queer films tend to have better sex scenes than the Christian movies, giving them a slight edge.
A Christian movie with a good sex scene. That I'd pay to see.
Old 02-08-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by aintnosin
A pretty literal Old Testament movie could easily be NC-17. Easily.

Love how religious people just have a blind spot to so much of what actually happens in the Old Testament.

I think most movies would have a chance to be made today just maybe not through the same studio process.
Old 02-09-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If the Wanderers was made today I doubt the classroom scene where the teacher asks the students to name off racial slurs wouldn't be filmed. I still think it's funny and the teacher does try to give the students something to think about but I'm sure there would be a lot of outrage today.
Old 02-09-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Utopia episode 3 wouldn't get made today, and that episode is like 2 years old.
Old 02-09-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Most of the mid-budget hit dramas and thrillers popular in the 80s and 90s wouldn't be made today.
Why? By that token any film made 20+ years ago wouldn't be made today.
Old 02-09-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Have you ever had a good foot washing by a woman who's really into it? It's awesome.
Old 02-09-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Foot Fucking Master?
Old 02-09-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think most movies would have a chance to be made today just maybe not through the same studio process.

Like I said before

Any film can be made depending on :

1. Filmmakers
2. Financing
3. Country
Old 02-09-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

A lot of stuff goes straight to video that might have been made for theaters 20 years ago. I'm thinking of all the action thrillers that used to be aimed at urban minority youth audiences. Think of all those Joel Silver movies that combined martial arts, hiphop elements, comedy relief and urban settings, e.g. ROMEO MUST DIE, EXIT WOUNDS, CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE. No one's doing those now for theaters. I'm guessing there must be DTV equivalents although I don't know of any offhand.

And then there were all the mid-range martial arts thrillers that Van Damme and Seagal used to star in (DOUBLE TEAM, ON DEADLY GROUND et al) and eventually Van Damme's and Seagal's output went straight to video.

The EXPENDABLES films are the closest theatrical equivalent to those films, but they wouldn't get made if it weren't for the star-heavy lineup at the top of the ticket (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis et al).
Old 02-09-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
A lot of stuff goes straight to video that might have been made for theaters 20 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_movie...the_present%29

Most of the B-movie production houses founded during the exploitation era collapsed or were subsumed by larger companies as the field's financial situation changed in the early 1980s. Even a comparatively cheap, efficiently made genre picture intended for theatrical release began to cost millions of dollars, as the major movie studios steadily moved into the production of expensive genre movies, raising audience expectations for spectacular action sequences and realistic special effects.....By 1990, the cost of the average U.S. film had passed $25 million...by 2000 $50 million
Old 02-09-15, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Spielberg and Lucas, the junky B movies are now A movies which are made for budgets that dwarf the gross domestic earnings of Hong Kong. They're now glossy, expensive junk rather than cheap junk.
Old 02-09-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
A lot of stuff goes straight to video that might have been made for theaters 20 years ago. I'm thinking of all the action thrillers that used to be aimed at urban minority youth audiences. Think of all those Joel Silver movies that combined martial arts, hiphop elements, comedy relief and urban settings, e.g. ROMEO MUST DIE, EXIT WOUNDS, CRADLE 2 THE GRAVE. No one's doing those now for theaters. I'm guessing there must be DTV equivalents although I don't know of any offhand.

And then there were all the mid-range martial arts thrillers that Van Damme and Seagal used to star in (DOUBLE TEAM, ON DEADLY GROUND et al) and eventually Van Damme's and Seagal's output went straight to video.

The EXPENDABLES films are the closest theatrical equivalent to those films, but they wouldn't get made if it weren't for the star-heavy lineup at the top of the ticket (Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Willis et al).
Yeah, the VOD market is giant these days though with budgets inching higher and higher so it isn't necessarily a bad thing. They cash in on what's popular at the time (Jet Li, Jackie Chan, DMX, etc; ) which just isn't the case right now, but it'll come back around, it always does. Part of it probably has to do with how much advertising costs now.

Right now the big thing in action flicks is the older bad ass (Liam Neeson, Denzel Washington, and in other media, Bryan Cranston) mowing down younger or similarly aged people.
Old 02-09-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, the VOD market is giant these days though with budgets inching higher and higher so it isn't necessarily a bad thing. They cash in on what's popular at the time (Jet Li, Jackie Chan, DMX, etc; ) which just isn't the case right now, but it'll come back around, it always does. Part of it probably has to do with how much advertising costs now.

Right now the big thing in action flicks is the older bad ass (Liam Neeson, Denzel Washington, and in other media, Bryan Cranston) mowing down younger or similarly aged people.
And don't forget JOHN WICK.
Old 02-09-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Why? By that token any film made 20+ years ago wouldn't be made today.
A Few Good Men
The Firm
Crimson Tide
Misery
The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
Cape Fear
Sleeping With the Enemy
The Pelican Brief
Seven

Movies like these aren't really being made any more. Those mid-budget popcorn thrillers headlined by one or more big stars. You can "blame" this on the rise in popularity of the television procedural.
Old 02-09-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Michael Clayton, Arbitrage and The Ides of March seemed to fit the bill of mid-budget popcorn thrillers. Sure there's not a ton of them, but they're still around. On a lower tier there's Broken City and Side Effects from 2013.
Old 02-10-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Michael Clayton, Arbitrage and The Ides of March seemed to fit the bill of mid-budget popcorn thrillers. Sure there's not a ton of them, but they're still around. On a lower tier there's Broken City and Side Effects from 2013.
Yeah, they're still around but I bet you that George Clooney will be the first person to bemoan the lack of those types of movies being released these days. He's almost singlehandedly keeping those kinds of movies afloat. None of the modern day releases seem to capture the pop culture zeitgeist like those 90s movies did. You can actually use "Single White Female" as an expression and people will know what you're talking about!
Old 02-10-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Certainly true. I bet he'd be doing a lot more on both sides of the camera with those types of movies if they were more viable.
Old 02-10-15, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Last Temptation of Christ, your welcome & that pissed off a lot of christians too
Old 02-10-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The Living Daylights with its ending that featured James Bond fighting in Afghanistan alongside the Mujahideen, which means it was either the Taliban or Al-Qaeda (pick your poison as to which group it was, because either way it's a total disaster looking back at the movie now).

Old 02-10-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dhmac
The Living Daylights with its ending that featured James Bond fighting in Afghanistan alongside the Mujahideen, which means it was either the Taliban or Al-Qaeda (pick your poison as to which group it was, because either way it's a total disaster looking back at the movie now).

I think RAMBO III has the same problem.