Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanberg)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanberg)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts
Re: YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanb

I blind bought this when it came out and just watched it last night. Thought it was decent enough but I didn't find it to be all that frightening. There were some pretty cool kills though and I liked the home invasion aspect. I didn't feel attached to the characters really though aside from Erin but that's only because she was the hero.

Spoiler:
I also felt like the motivations of Crispian, Felix, and Zee were kind of weak to be honest. So they need money and are willing to have their entire family killed off? I sort of saw Crispian's motive to get revenge on Drake and possibly his wife but I dunno it felt kind of forced to me.
Old 01-26-14, 02:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanb

Originally Posted by robin2099
There was only one scene that left an impression on me and that was the scene with the wire. Besides that though I can't remember any other scenes that were really gory.
The blender scene was a tad bit gory, but nothing over the top throughout the film.

I absolutely loved You're Next. I didn't find it scary tho, but where it skimps out on horror it replaces that with over the top action. I love survival films where they use what they have to their advantage and You're Next does just that. 8/10
Old 02-08-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,034 Likes on 635 Posts

Just watched this--loved it. It kept the tension high and there weren't many lulls in the action. I really liked the lead actress--will definitely look for more of her.
Old 02-09-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this last night, too. Didn't know anything about it except being a home invasion flick. So when Erin brained the invader who came through the window, I wasn't quite sure what was going on. We've been conditioned by so many of these movies that when the supposed victim kills the killer it threw me for a loop there for a minute.
Old 02-09-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Saw this last night, too. Didn't know anything about it except being a home invasion flick. So when Erin brained the invader who came through the window, I wasn't quite sure what was going on. We've been conditioned by so many of these movies that when the supposed victim kills the killer it threw me for a loop there for a minute.
Oh yeah, I started bouncing in my seat when she took the meat hammer to that guy. I love when people in movies fight back.
Old 02-10-14, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great movie. I had heard good things, but still kept my expectations in check.
Old 08-16-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 379 Likes on 270 Posts

This is on Netflix. Good watch.

I couldn't help but think about how hard it'd be to see out of those masks. Seems like a terrible thing to be wearing when you're worried about people sneaking around.
Old 08-25-14, 09:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,198 Likes on 847 Posts

I watched this last night, right before the Oldboy remake.

You're Next was a lot of fun. The kills were pretty good for the most part, too. I wasn't entirely convinced by the bad guys' motivations, although
Spoiler:
I was genuinely surprised that Crispian was in on it. I fully expected him to get killed by the door trap that Erin set up. That poor cop...

4/5 for good kills, some funny dialogue, and a couple twists that I didn't see coming.
Old 08-25-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

As far as motivations go - they're stupid as hell and cliched beyond belief but that's the point.
Old 08-25-14, 10:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Well, yeah.
I laughed when one of them said something to the effect of,
Spoiler:
I'm sorry I left. You know I don't like the violent stuff. I'm a pacifist.
Old 08-25-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I almost stopped watching the until a friend told me to stick with it, because every stupid decision, dialogue, performances, were all intentional. I'm glad I finished it.
Old 08-25-14, 11:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^Yeah, that's a great point. My wife was mad that I watched it without her (apparently, if her friend tells her to watch a movie, I'm supposed to know that I can't watch it unless/until she does. ), but actually said she might be too scared to watch it alone. Point being: I think based on what your friend said, this movie is more rewarding with a second viewing, so I think I'll watch it with her anyway.
Old 08-25-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan
Well, yeah. I laughed when one of them said something to the effect of, * SPOILER *
Spoiler:
I'm sorry I left, the screenplay said I had to go!