DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanberg) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/608032-youre-next-2013-dir-wingard-ti-west-barbara-crampton-aj-bowen-joe-swanberg.html)

Mike86 01-26-14 01:59 PM

Re: YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanb

I blind bought this when it came out and just watched it last night. Thought it was decent enough but I didn't find it to be all that frightening. There were some pretty cool kills though and I liked the home invasion aspect. I didn't feel attached to the characters really though aside from Erin but that's only because she was the hero.

Spoiler:
I also felt like the motivations of Crispian, Felix, and Zee were kind of weak to be honest. So they need money and are willing to have their entire family killed off? I sort of saw Crispian's motive to get revenge on Drake and possibly his wife but I dunno it felt kind of forced to me.

floyd2006 01-26-14 02:39 PM

Re: YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanb

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 11982606)
There was only one scene that left an impression on me and that was the scene with the wire. Besides that though I can't remember any other scenes that were really gory.

The blender scene was a tad bit gory, but nothing over the top throughout the film.

I absolutely loved You're Next. I didn't find it scary tho, but where it skimps out on horror it replaces that with over the top action. I love survival films where they use what they have to their advantage and You're Next does just that. 8/10

Cellar Door 02-08-14 11:40 PM

Just watched this--loved it. It kept the tension high and there weren't many lulls in the action. I really liked the lead actress--will definitely look for more of her.

CharlieK 02-09-14 07:44 PM

Saw this last night, too. Didn't know anything about it except being a home invasion flick. So when Erin brained the invader who came through the window, I wasn't quite sure what was going on. We've been conditioned by so many of these movies that when the supposed victim kills the killer it threw me for a loop there for a minute.

SuckaMC 02-09-14 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 12006124)
Saw this last night, too. Didn't know anything about it except being a home invasion flick. So when Erin brained the invader who came through the window, I wasn't quite sure what was going on. We've been conditioned by so many of these movies that when the supposed victim kills the killer it threw me for a loop there for a minute.

Oh yeah, I started bouncing in my seat when she took the meat hammer to that guy. I love when people in movies fight back.

scottost 02-10-14 12:43 PM

Great movie. I had heard good things, but still kept my expectations in check.

Troy Stiffler 08-16-14 08:36 PM

This is on Netflix. Good watch.

I couldn't help but think about how hard it'd be to see out of those masks. Seems like a terrible thing to be wearing when you're worried about people sneaking around.

Dan 08-25-14 09:57 AM

I watched this last night, right before the Oldboy remake.

You're Next was a lot of fun. The kills were pretty good for the most part, too. I wasn't entirely convinced by the bad guys' motivations, although
Spoiler:
I was genuinely surprised that Crispian was in on it. I fully expected him to get killed by the door trap that Erin set up. That poor cop... :lol:

4/5 for good kills, some funny dialogue, and a couple twists that I didn't see coming.

Why So Blu? 08-25-14 10:08 AM

As far as motivations go - they're stupid as hell and cliched beyond belief but that's the point.

Dan 08-25-14 10:16 AM

Well, yeah. :)
I laughed when one of them said something to the effect of,
Spoiler:
I'm sorry I left. You know I don't like the violent stuff. I'm a pacifist. :lol:

Why So Blu? 08-25-14 11:17 AM

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I almost stopped watching the until a friend told me to stick with it, because every stupid decision, dialogue, performances, were all intentional. I'm glad I finished it.

Dan 08-25-14 11:30 AM

^Yeah, that's a great point. My wife was mad that I watched it without her (apparently, if her friend tells her to watch a movie, I'm supposed to know that I can't watch it unless/until she does. ;)), but actually said she might be too scared to watch it alone. Point being: I think based on what your friend said, this movie is more rewarding with a second viewing, so I think I'll watch it with her anyway. :)

hanshotfirst1138 08-25-14 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12210921)
Well, yeah. :) I laughed when one of them said something to the effect of, * SPOILER *

Spoiler:
I'm sorry I left, the screenplay said I had to go!
;)