DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanberg) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/608032-youre-next-2013-dir-wingard-ti-west-barbara-crampton-aj-bowen-joe-swanberg.html)

asianxcore 08-22-13 07:45 PM

Re: YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanb

Originally Posted by Hannibal (Post 11807775)
I read somewhere this is a remake of a Korean film "To Sir, with Love." I have not seen that film but I wouldn't be surprised.

I haven't seen that film, but reading a Plot Synopsis, I'm not sure where the comparisons come from.

http://asianwiki.com/To_Sir_with_Love_-_Korean_Movie

Guess I'll find out in a few hours!

dvdcooler 08-22-13 09:16 PM

Re: YOU'RE NEXT (2013) (dir. Wingard) (Ti West, Barbara Crampton, AJ Bowen, Joe Swanb

Fun movie! See a late showing in a packed theater.

Tabletopjoe 08-22-13 11:43 PM

I agree with dvdcooler. I can't remember, the last time I had so much fun with a movie. I highly recommend seeing this with a crowd. It's pretty rare, that right after seeing it, my GF and I were already making plans to see it again, this weekend. I think it's going to do very well at the box office. The theater, was more than half full. Not bad, considering it was the first week of the fall semester. And there was definitely a positive buzz, leaving the theater. I overheard, a few people say " I can't wait to see it again and bring more friends."

andy434343 08-23-13 09:49 PM

I thought it was ok....nothing great.

It wasn't really a scary movie like I assumed.

Some brutal kills I guess....

dsa_shea 08-24-13 01:00 AM

The movie was alright but.....
Spoiler:
Who walks to a neighbors house to borrow milk?

Chet Desmond 08-24-13 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11803887)
But the big question is, how undressed does Barbara Crampton get?

Not at all.

The Bus 08-30-13 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 11809296)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Who buys groceries and buys milk but not enough to last past breakfast?

<hr>

This was one of the more fun and better made horror movies I've seen in theaters in a while. Really great.

hanshotfirst1138 01-16-14 06:20 PM

Sat on for two years before getting a theatrical release, the recipe is simple: take plenty of gore, a bit of Straw Dogs, a dash of Wes Craven, a healthy dose of John Carpenter, a pinch of black humor, and a dollop of digital gloss. Mix them all together, and you have You're Next, Adam Wingard's pop-nihilistic home-invasion thriller. Though a redressing of genre movies past with thin characterizations and a schematic, predictable plot which doesn't add up to much in the end, it's sure fun while it lasts. Lean, mean, brutal, and mercifully without the post-modern smirking or so many genre films, it's unlikely to go down as a classic, but for horror fans looking for a bloody good time, it's a good ride.

The storyline, which, though Wingard doesn't know it, bears a striking resemble to Koichi Sakamoto's little-seen martial arts bloodbath Broken Path, involves Crispian dragging his Aussie girlfriend Erin to the family reunion of his well-to-do parents in attempt to heal the many disagreements which have sprung up during their years together. But as they bicker and argue at the dinner table, a trio of axe-wielding maniacs with crossbows descend on the family, jam their cell phone signals, and are out for blood. The desperate protagonists don't know what to do, but Erin, unbeknownst to Crispian, grew up in a survivalist compound in the outback thanks to her paranoid father, and knows a thing or two about taking care of herself. As the bloodbath escalates, secrets are revealed, motives are questioned, and Erin proves to be the deadliest killer of all.

A horror fan project cast with fellow filmmakers-Larry Fessenden, Ti West-and genre icons-Barbara Crampton, the product of an incestuous group of indie filmmakers, You're Next is infused with the kind of "splat pack" energy of fellow horror fans like Rob Zombie, and hews mostly closely to a film like Neil Marshall's Dog Soldiers-stripped down, raw, and brutal, wisely never overstaying its welcome and remaining unpretentious and exciting. Loaded with splattery gore effect-virtually everything sharp or blunt is jammed or rammed into the human body at one point, the film is likely to please gorehounds, and like Marshall's debut, steers clear of the postmodern Scream-style smirking of so many young directors. Once upon a time, this is the kind of thing which would've been shot on raggedy 16mm, but Wingard's film is instead shot in crisp digital. This does give the movie slightly too much gloss, Wingard's skill with the camera does all it can to mask it. Though the film doesn't perhaps use its single setting as effectively as some genre movies, Wingard's skill as both director and editor gives the violence a nice punch, the jolts effective energy, and enough gusto on the part of the performers to hide the film's thin characterizations.

This itself is the film's biggest flaw-in the usual slasher fashion, the film's characters exist mostly be killed in creative ways; they're thinly sketched, and if they're not quite as stupid as the usual slasher victim, most of them are difficult to invest much in. Sharni Vinson is sexy and spunky as the lead heroine, and Wendy Glenn has fun as a kinky goth, but most of the film's characters are simply props to be dispatched. The story itself is pretty schematic, reminiscent of a dozen other blood-soaked home-invasion thrillers, and brings little that's new. In the end, when asked why to add to the body count after discovering that the motivation of the film's characters was rather prosaic, the response is simply "Why the fuck not?" Ending on a blackly comic joke that shows that the film had few aspirations besides gory entertainment means that it may have been slight, but at least it knows it. You're Next knows what it's there for, doesn't overstay its welcome, and and does what it does well. These days, that's enough to recommend it.

Why So Blu? 01-16-14 06:27 PM

I saw this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. It was losing me until about the 30-35 minute mark, because the film is a cleverly disguised satire picture. It's making fun of almost every horror/slasher/unlikable family cliche out there. The gore was epic, too! I also didn't know this was on the shelf for 2 years. The Blu-ray is pretty packed with special features, too. It was a lot of fun.

EDIT - I knew I fucking recognized Ti West in the film. hahaha

Why So Blu? 01-16-14 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 11809296)
Spoiler:

The other day I went to my neighbor's to borrow a can opener, because mine is a piece of shit.

Your argument is invalid.

dsa_shea 01-17-14 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11980371)
The other day I went to my neighbor's to borrow a can opener, because mine is a piece of shit.

Why didn't you just walk to a store and buy one?

Why So Blu? 01-17-14 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 11980675)
Why didn't you just walk to a store and buy one?

I needed food first. Once I got the can open, I ate, returned the neighbor's can opener, THEN I went to the store for a new one. I needed temporary instant gratification.

Groucho 01-17-14 10:29 AM

I went to my Indian neighbor to borrow some bread one time, but he had naan. :(

Pointyskull 01-17-14 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11980921)
I went to my Indian neighbor to borrow some bread one time, but he had naan. :(

I sent my Indian butler named Mahatma Coat....

Why So Blu? 01-17-14 11:31 AM

https://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/pho...LjOXIBlw/l.jpg

SuperJim88 01-17-14 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11980371)

When you borrowed the can opener did you return the can opener in full? Ah, thus my good sire you have used the word borrow correctly.

When you borrow milk can you return the milk in full? Ah, thus my good sire you can not borrow milk.

Why So Blu? 01-17-14 12:01 PM

Touché.

Groucho 01-17-14 12:01 PM

I went to the cheese maker's to borrow some Ricotta but he said "no whey".

hanshotfirst1138 01-17-14 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11981022)
I went to the cheese maker's to borrow some Ricotta but he said "no whey".

Try the veal, tip your waiter, thank you ladies and gentlemen, Groucho is here all night.

Why So Blu? 01-17-14 12:15 PM

:lol:

d2cheer 01-18-14 10:29 AM

It wasn't too bad. I figured out the "twist" right away so that pissed me off. I had heard about this and No One Lives about the same time and was excited to see both. No One Live is a lot better, that one sat of the shelf for some time as well.

robin2099 01-18-14 12:14 PM

I actually thought it was kinda boring. Not enough gore or action and I saw both twists coming from a mile away. I liked the lead girl but this is nothing that I have any desire to own or watch again.

Why So Blu? 01-18-14 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 11982054)
I actually thought it was kinda boring. Not enough gore or action and I saw both twists coming from a mile away. I liked the lead girl but this is nothing that I have any desire to own or watch again.

You're Next had plenty of gore and lots of ECU at said gore. What film were you watching?

SuckaMC 01-18-14 08:38 PM

I really liked this. I love movies where victims fight back. Vinson kicked all sorts of ass. That first beat down with the meat pounder got me excited for the ass kicking to come. Well worth watching.

robin2099 01-19-14 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 11982160)
You're Next had plenty of gore and lots of ECU at said gore. What film were you watching?

There was only one scene that left an impression on me and that was the scene with the wire. Besides that though I can't remember any other scenes that were really gory.