Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

R.I.P.D -- D: Schwentke S: Reynolds, Bridges, Bacon -- 7/19/13

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

R.I.P.D -- D: Schwentke S: Reynolds, Bridges, Bacon -- 7/19/13

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: R.I.P.D -- D: Schwentke S: Reynolds, Bridges, Bacon -- 7/19/13

Pacific Rim has made well over $100m so far worldwide in a week so it should be okay in the long run.
Pacific Rim is not even going to come close to breaking even, unless it has some incredible staying power that rare few movies have. The film needs close to 400 million worldwide for them to break even on box office. That 190 million dollar budget doesn't even including marketing and promotional costs.
Old 07-25-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Conjuring is the "sleeper" hit of the year. It'll clear 100 million by the end of this weekend. It already made 5.4 million on Monday and 5.6 million on Tuesday. It's up to 52 million since it opened.
Old 12-26-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, R.I.P.D. was pretty atrocious but I'll take it over any of the MIB flicks. Marissa Miller is a piece of ass!
Old 12-26-13, 06:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Funny, I finally saw this today. It was okay, not great but not as bad as I was expecting. However MiB exhausted this type of sci-fi comedy, and is miles better than what RIPD offered. But it did have some minor funny moments though.
Old 12-27-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I saw a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it.
Old 12-27-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrell
Pacific Rim is not even going to come close to breaking even, unless it has some incredible staying power that rare few movies have. The film needs close to 400 million worldwide for them to break even on box office. That 190 million dollar budget doesn't even including marketing and promotional costs.
Its final total apparently came to about $407 million. That is more than twice the budget, albeit barely. Hopefully, it will become a cult favorite on video too. I think it's the last time Guillermo del Toro is ever getting a budget that big and a sequel is out of the question, but it doesn't sound like it bombed too badly. I's surprised by that, I thought a movie that combined with kaiju eiga tokusatsu and anime mecha tropes with an art-house cult director and no major star would have a potential audience of about 14 people.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, R.I.P.D. was pretty atrocious but I'll take it over any of the MIB flicks.
I'd have to disagree completely. This is Men in Black without any of the wit or humor.
Old 12-27-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Its final total apparently came to about $407 million. That is more than twice the budget, albeit barely. Hopefully, it will become a cult favorite on video too. I think it's the last time Guillermo del Toro is ever getting a budget that big and a sequel is out of the question, but it doesn't sound like it bombed too badly. I's surprised by that, I thought a movie that combined with kaiju eiga tokusatsu and anime mecha tropes with an art-house cult director and no major star would have a potential audience of about 14 people.

I'd have to disagree completely. This is Men in Black without any of the wit or humor.

I hated the MIB films.