Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Prisoners -- D: Villeneuve S: Jackman, Gyllenhaal, Dano -- 9/20/13

How could WB not have much faith in it with all of the positive notice?

Run time is a bit discouraging, and if it's slow you can bet general audiences won't have the patience. Slow burn movies don't sit well nowadays. However, given the length and rating, I know one former member will be all over this one.
Old 09-19-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Is it not worth getting other viewpoints?

FWIW, this looks like substandard Ron Howard fare from the ads. And WB doesn't seem to have much faith in it, either.
Maybe I don't know what you mean by that, but generally a ton of advertising + 3,000 theater release means at least some faith (all I see movie wise right now are ads for this, Gravity and Rush). I mean it's kicking off Oscar season - Prisoners and Rush (Limited) this weekend, Don Jon next weekend, Gravity after that, Captain Phillips after that, etc;
Old 09-19-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I always think it's funny, he will find a movie with a 97% and post the one negative review. Unless it's Pokemon or Miyazaki, then it's a positive one.
Usually, the one positive review of a Pokemon movie is one that I wrote, and in a reputable publication or website, too, although I doubt Rotten Tomatoes ever acknowledges it. (There's a new one coming out soon--and I do plan to review it, so this time I'll check RT.)
Old 09-19-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

RT has a minimum reviews / month to be considered. If you're doing constant reviews you should be able to get on there.
Old 09-19-13, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I don't know what you mean by that, but generally a ton of advertising + 3,000 theater release means at least some faith (all I see movie wise right now are ads for this, Gravity and Rush). I mean it's kicking off Oscar season - Prisoners and Rush (Limited) this weekend, Don Jon next weekend, Gravity after that, Captain Phillips after that, etc;
I'm barely seeing ads for it anywhere, and I actually do QC TV spots for Warner Bros. Right now it's all Gravity, all the time.
Old 09-19-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see ads for Prisoners constantly, weird. I do think Gravity has a better chance at a huge opening though.
Old 09-19-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm barely seeing ads for it anywhere, and I actually do QC TV spots for Warner Bros. Right now it's all Gravity, all the time.
I rarely watch live TV anymore, but when I have over the past 2 weeks it seems every other commercial is for Prisoners. It seems to be getting a hell of a push from WB, almost to the point I was thinking it's this year's Vantage Point.

The trailers were mediocre so I was trying to figure out what WB's angle was here. Looks like the reviews are mostly positive so the film must be better than what I've been seeing.
Old 09-19-13, 05:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I rarely watch live TV anymore, but when I have over the past 2 weeks it seems every other commercial is for Prisoners. It seems to be getting a hell of a push from WB, almost to the point I was thinking it's this year's Vantage Point.

The trailers were mediocre so I was trying to figure out what WB's angle was here. Looks like the reviews are mostly positive so the film must be better than what I've been seeing.
the trailers look way too similar to AMC's 'The Killing' a series I trudged through and didn't particularly care for.
Old 09-19-13, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I suspect the trailers aren't doing the film justice.

Based on the good reviews it's getting and the director's past works, this will probably be a decent film.
Old 09-19-13, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

per Box Office Mojo, the theater count is 3260. in contrast, Insidious 2 was in a bit over 3000. If this clicks with audiences, this could do in the high 20s or low 30s opening weekend
Old 09-20-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am seeing a lot of ads for both, but will say that Gravity is playing during most of the highly rated programs. Also, Gravity is utilizing the visuals and stars whereas Prisoners is just advertising that it's getting critical acclaim more than the movie.
Old 09-20-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In the Village Voice, Amy Nicholson gives it a negative review:
I decided to cherry pick a positive review. They far outweigh the negative ones. USA Today's Claudia Puig:

The plot raises complicated moral questions about how far an anguished person will go for the love of a child. At the same time, it sets up an intricate, horrifying mystery with breathtaking skill.
I'll be seeing this on Sunday. I assume you're watching this as well based on your searching of reviews?

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 09-20-13 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-20-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
It's a slow moving psychological thriller so that makes sense. The first time I watched Zodiac it felt like I had been sitting there for 5+ hours.
Zodiac is also a film designed to feel that way in some sense, it covers a time span of decades.

Is it not worth getting other viewpoints?

FWIW, this looks like substandard Ron Howard fare from the ads. And WB doesn't seem to have much faith in it, either.
It's getting glowing reviews.
Old 09-20-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I saw this in the theater this afternoon. I thought it was great! I had the apprehension about the length of the film going in, but I didn't find myself checking the time at all. Every performance was top notch, in my opinion.
Old 09-20-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I saw this at midnight right after a special screening of Captain Phillips. Had no idea of this being 2.5 hours long until after we decided to see it. Not really a big Jackman fan, but I do like Jake. Had a Zodiac feel to it, maybe because of Jake and the run time. It dragged a couple of parts here & there, but there was some good twists and turns. Doubt Jackson will win the Oscar, especially seeing Captain Phillips just before this, but he does a good job. I enjoyed the creepy kid as well. I'm sure I've seen him in other films, just can't think of it. A couple of things can be seen a mile away while I thought a couple of other things might have happened like
Spoiler:
when Jake was driving Jackson's daughter to the hospital, totally thought he was going to crash because of the rain and his eye, so was a bit shocked made it alright to the hospital
. Pretty decent ending. If you can withstand a 2 and a half hour thrilled, I'd recommend seeing this.
Old 09-20-13, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Pretty decent ending.
I really liked the ending as well. I thought it was going to be very predictable, but instead it was a very satisfying conclusion.
Old 09-21-13, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The "creepy kid" , if you're referring to whom I think, is Paul Dano. He kind of made an acting name for himself playing opposite Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood and doing a pretty decent job of holding his own in their scenes. Recognizable face, just not the name. He kind of reminds of old school James Spader with his character selection, especially in the movie "Ruby Sparks".
Old 09-21-13, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. Hell, not even DiCaprio could hold his own against DDL in Gangs of NY.
Old 09-21-13, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was actually either in Taking Woodstock, Cowboys and Aliens, or Looper. Probably all 3 to be honest. Really good actor.
Old 09-21-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I liked the movie, really solid performances all around, especially the two leads Jackman and Gyllenhaal. It did have a very "Zodiac" feel to it. Perhaps not as procedural, but the same atmosphere.

I'm really glad that
Spoiler:
they didn't make some twist that Alex was actually some criminal genius pretending to be a simpleton. I kept waiting for that twist and glad it never came.

I'm still trying to figure out why
Spoiler:
The aunt (I did catch that she wasn't actually Alex's aunt but that he was one of her abductees) was responsible for all those abductions/murders? What was her motive again? Also, what was Bob Taylor's connection to this whole thing...was he just another abductee of the aunt who was used to keep the cops off her trail?

Grade: B+

Last edited by Osiris3657; 09-21-13 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-21-13, 07:23 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“Prisoners” gets an A for effort as we move through to the end. It tries to be more than just a standard kidnapping thriller, offering a greater crime behind the crime and offering some interesting twists. Not all the twists are unexpected – some are downright predictable. However, there’s enough happening in the second half of the film to have kept my interest.

7M Pictures
Old 09-21-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jacob_b
It was actually either in Taking Woodstock, Cowboys and Aliens, or Looper. Probably all 3 to be honest. Really good actor.
I think he was just saying how he made a name for himself, I think the one-two critical successes of Little Miss Sunshine and There Will Be Blood gave him a name. He definitely has been in a lot though.
Old 09-21-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I'm still trying to figure out why
Spoiler:
The aunt (I did catch that she wasn't actually Alex's aunt but that he was one of her abductees) was responsible for all those abductions/murders? What was her motive again? Also, what was Bob Taylor's connection to this whole thing...was he just another abductee of the aunt who was used to keep the cops off her trail?
Here's what I think I understood.

Spoiler:

She and her husband lost their child to cancer. She indicated they were devout religious people before then. Their abduction efforts led to families turning against God.

As for Bob Taylor, I'm a little less clear. Yes, I'm fairly certain he was another abductee. However, I was confused about his actions. Or the fact that he had all those snakes. Late in the film, the "aunt" indicated something about one of the kids and a snake incident, but I didn't get that.
Old 09-21-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Appreciate the thoughts Cardsfan
Old 09-22-13, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think he was just saying how he made a name for himself, I think the one-two critical successes of Little Miss Sunshine and There Will Be Blood gave him a name. He definitely has been in a lot though.
Gotcha. I just looked on Wiki to see why I remember his face. Never saw There Will Be Blood and don't remember much about Sunshine. I do remember the hippie couple in Woodstock haha.

One question about this film...

Spoiler:
Why did the first girl who was rescued said she saw Hugh Jackman and was scared of him and then he took off...that puzzled me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.