Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jessica Chastain vs Jennifer Lawrence

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who edges out who?
Jessica Chastain
38.53%
Jennifer Lawrence
61.47%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Jessica Chastain vs Jennifer Lawrence

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Jessica Chastain vs Jennifer Lawrence

I can't even remember if I commented in this thread, but from an acting point of view, they're about dead even. From a physical point of view, neither appeal to me. Chastain is a skinny, pasty white redhead with freckles and Lawrence has an odd face. There's something about it that just throws me off.
Old 03-16-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Ew, really? It was a shit-ball rom-com, and Russell's worst movie. Maybe it was better than other shit-ball rom-coms, but that's about it.
I agree with you on SLP.... cliched up the whazoo romantic comedy. But I can't call it Russel's worse when the shitfest known as I Heart Huckabees exists. What a mess that piece of shit was.
Old 03-16-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I ended up liking Huckabees the 2nd time I saw it. Quite a bit.
Old 12-22-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw "The House at the End of the Street". It's watchable primarily because of Jennifer Lawrence and it's not like her character was written all that well, either. I have yet to see one of her films where she doesn't demand attention each and every moment she's onscreen.
Old 12-22-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

It would be an epic threesome.
Old 12-22-13, 01:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread reminded me how disappointing ZDT was.

Also, Jennifer Lawrence stole American Hustle, and the last Chastain performance that impressed me was...well, none of them.
Old 12-22-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Also, Jennifer Lawrence stole American Hustle, and the last Chastain performance that impressed me was...well, none of them.
But Chastain showed her boobies....
Old 12-22-13, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? I thought Chastain was solid in ZDT. good work in Take Shelter, Mama, and The Debt.

Saying that I think Lawrence is more exciting for her roles. Except for Hunger Games, which doesn't do much for her acting. Never saw that horror film she did. And I'd blame the scripting for her character in First Class. Wonder wtf Mystique will be like in DoFP cuz FC didn't do well with her at times.
Old 12-22-13, 04:13 PM
Banned by request

ZDT was absurdly overrated, IMO. Chastain's character had no arc. The raid on the compound was well directed, but that's the only positive thing I have to say about the film.
Old 12-22-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
But Chastain showed her boobies....
And if Jennifer Lawrence ever unleashed those sweater puppies on screen /thread.
Old 12-22-13, 05:23 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
And if Jennifer Lawrence ever unleashed those sweater puppies on screen /thread.

She will in about 10 years when her star starts to dim a little. They ALL do. Anyone remember God telling Renee Russo to do a nude scene?

By the way about a year later and Lawrence is hotter AND a better actress.
Old 12-22-13, 07:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

ZDT was absurdly overrated, IMO. Chastain's character had no arc. The raid on the compound was well directed, but that's the only positive thing I have to say about the film.
what kind of arc were you looking for with an agent who is dedicated to one mission for 10 years? it can't be a lovestory/capture the enemy pic...
Old 12-22-13, 07:35 PM
Banned by request

Any kind of arc. There was no indication she had any kind of life outside of her job for 10 years. Talk about boring.
Old 12-22-13, 09:02 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
what kind of arc were you looking for with an agent who is dedicated to one mission for 10 years? it can't be a lovestory/capture the enemy pic...
They could have added a Taliban informant that she sleeps with to get information but realizes she is in love with and that they are star crossed lovers and even though he is a terrorist she is able to turn him into an asset.
Old 12-22-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought that was the whole point: there wasn't much to her outside of what she did, it was an all-consuming obsession which blocked out everything else in her life.
Old 12-22-13, 09:42 PM
Banned by request

Why should I give a shit, then? I'm not saying add a love interest. I'm saying show some change from point A to point B. She did this for 10 years and it didn't change her in any way? It's just lazy filmmaking.
Old 12-23-13, 09:11 AM

Why should I give a shit, then? I'm not saying add a love interest. I'm saying show some change from point A to point B. She did this for 10 years and it didn't change her in any way? It's just lazy filmmaking.
i think han nailed it. she was obsessed and had no room for everything/anything else. that was the point and not lazy, but probably a little more accurate. this was loosely based on true story anyway. i knew what it was going in and was pretty much riveted. if you knew going in what it was about, why see it and subsequently put it down?
Old 12-23-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
He knew the film was about the hunt for Bin Laden, I think he saying that he found her character one-dimensional and wanted to see more of her life outside of the hunt to see how it destroyed her life and made one so single-minded. I've heard the same criticism thrown at Raging Bull, about how the one-dimensional central character ultimately made the film feel repetitive. Probably the closest thing you get in ZDT is her initial unease at the torture before she becomes so obsessive. I think of ZDT as a sort of Information Age-type thriller about how to sift through endless amounts of data in the post-globalization type age where everything is so fragmented.
Old 12-23-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

I think the final scene of ZDT tells you everything you need to know about Chastain's character and how the hunt for Bin Laden affected her. I think it's a great scene and pretty indicative of the fine work that Chastain is capable of. I also thought she was great in Take Shelter and Tree of Life.
Old 12-23-13, 12:26 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i think han nailed it. she was obsessed and had no room for everything/anything else. that was the point and not lazy, but probably a little more accurate. this was loosely based on true story anyway. i knew what it was going in and was pretty much riveted. if you knew going in what it was about, why see it and subsequently put it down?
So if I know what a movie is about beforehand, I should never be disappointed in the movie itself? Execution and performance count for nothing? The movie was poorly executed, and Chastain's performance did nothing for me.
Old 12-23-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Jessica Chastain Jennifer Lawrence
Old 12-23-13, 02:04 PM

So if I know what a movie is about beforehand, I should never be disappointed in the movie itself? Execution and performance count for nothing? The movie was poorly executed, and Chastain's performance did nothing for me.
no, not at all. opinions differ. that's all. i'll have to see it again to make a better judgement.