Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you eat at theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you eat at the theater?
Yes, I always stop at the concession stand
32.88%
Yes, I go to theaters that serve meals
5.48%
Yes, I sneak in food
27.40%
No, never
26.03%
Only a drink
8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Do you eat at theater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 11:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Do you eat at theater?

Occasionally popcorn, or candy I brought in, but never real food. Just too inconvenient and messy to try to eat a meal in a dark theater. But I'm not really a spur of the moment moviegoer, either... we plan it 2-3 hours ahead of time and can take care of eating or whatever before we go.
Old 01-14-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I think the percentage of people who sneak food in among an average audience is pretty small. Most people buy their crap at the concession stand. I would buy at the concession stand if they offered some decent food at reasonable prices (yogurt, bagel, fruit, coffee, baked goods, sandwiches, etc.). But most concession stands offer garbage at high prices and with long lines because the management is so poor at these places. You'd think that if a manager would pay enough to hire experienced food service personnel he'd easily make back the extra money he pays out with increased sales. (If you serve more customers more efficiently in the limited time before a movie starts, you'd make more money, right?)
I think overall the percentage is pretty small, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was drastically higher in urban areas versus suburban or rural ones. When I was in hs, I used to go to a movie theater that was around the corner from a CVS and it was a natural stop to go to CVS for movie snacks before going to to the theater unless you wanted popcorn.

But, if I go to a move in the suburbs, I am more likely to just buy a snack there as opposed to driving to a CVS before heading over. I imagine, theaters in isolated areas do not have nearly as much food snuck in.
Old 01-14-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

My wife and I will sometimes split a popcorn and soda.
Old 01-14-13, 10:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

if it's a Regal - I try not to eat, since their concession pricing is ridiculously high IMO, but generally yes, I'll consume popcorn. If it's screening before noon and I'm at Tysons, I wont and just wait to go to Panda Express afterwards ...
Old 01-15-13, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The concession stands at the theaters I go to always seem fairly busy, even with the high prices. It would certainly be curious how many more people would actually decide to buy food or drinks if everything was $2-3 cheaper and if it that was actually enough of a deterrent on people buying concessions. That and whatever cost it would be to higher more employees to handle any increase in concession lines. Obviously cheaper would be better for me, but since I also recall hearing how little theaters make on actual ticket sales as well, i'm not surprised. I don't see it much different from the higher costs people pay for a beer at a bar versus at home.
Yep, the economics seem to be that overpriced concessions are needed to balance the books. It certainly wouldn't fly to raise admissions to lower concessions, and I can't imagine that no one has analyzed how a change in price would affect the volume enough to increase profit.

The current system seems to be good enough to keep some movie theaters in business.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
On this point, while 90% of the time I go specifically knowing what I want, I can see why others might look and see if there's any specials going on, a new product that they might want to try, or maybe there's 3 or 4 people in the car that all have to decide and order. I think for a lot of people swinging through the drive thru might just be a quick impulse thing so they weren't even thinking about what they wanted. Calling it stupidity is unnecessarily harsh.
Yeah, I generally get the same few things at a fast-food joint, but I still take the time to check the menu, do some math on the combos, etc., and just see what I feel like that day.

That said, I HATE the concessions menus at Regal chains that flip out the menu screens to show ads. That makes the ordering process a lot longer.