DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Klaus Kinski's daughter claims he raped her multiple times starting when she was 5. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/607837-klaus-kinskis-daughter-claims-he-raped-her-multiple-times-starting-when-she-5-a.html)

Hazel Motes 01-09-13 10:54 PM

Klaus Kinski's daughter claims he raped her multiple times starting when she was 5.

I'm fucking GUTTED. Kinski in my humble opinion is the greatest actor who ever lived. I have a poster of Fitzcarraldo on my wall that I'm probably gonna take down. Turns out he was a monster in all aspects of his life. Poor fucking kid. I have about 15 Kinski films in my collection. I don't know if I'll be able to see them the same way ever again.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...usaolp00000003

GoldenJCJ 01-09-13 11:00 PM

Re: Klaus Kinski's daughter claims he raped her multiple times starting when she was

1. kinski is not around to defend himself.
2. She's promoting her book.
3. I always just assumed kinski was a psychopath. I figured he raped anything he could get his hands on including little kids and various fur bearing animals.

Dragon Tattoo 01-09-13 11:00 PM

Re: Klaus Kinski's daughter claims he raped her multiple times starting when she was

How do you even rape a five-year old without causing significant damage?

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:02 PM

He is one of the two best actors to ever perform on film. I'm still going to watch his performances and be mesmerized by them.

PopcornTreeCt 01-09-13 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 11533896)
1. kinski is not around to defend himself.
2. She's promoting her book.
3. I always just assumed kinski was a psychopath. I figured he raped anything he could get his hands on including little kids and various fur bearing animals.

1. True
2. True... but I believe her
3. Yes, not exactly role model material

Feel terrible for the daughter, it must have been awful to thing to live with.

Dragon Tattoo 01-09-13 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533900)
He is one of the two best actors to ever perform on film. I'm still going to watch his performances and be mesmerized by them.

Yeah, really, what's a little kid rape in the grand scheme of things?

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:14 PM

Yeah, really, what does any of that have to do with his acting?

Hazel Motes 01-09-13 11:18 PM

It taints it in a major way for me. How can you ever watch his performances and compartmentalize the fact that he fucked a 5 year old. I don't know if I can do it. Time will tell I guess.

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:21 PM

The same way I watch Roman Polanski movies and admire his abilities as an artist without worrying about his proclivities as a person. Or Woody Allen. Or Tom Cruise. Etc.

foofighters7 01-09-13 11:42 PM

rapist shmapist!

In the 70's everyone raped or defiled someone.

I would have guessed he did something terrible.

I don't care.

Was he a terrible person in real life? Perhaps.

Was he a great actor? Certainly.

Fitzy and Aggy are two of the best performances in film. 2 of my favs as well!

PopcornTreeCt 01-09-13 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533924)
The same way I watch Roman Polanski movies and admire his abilities as an artist without worrying about his proclivities as a person. Or Woody Allen. Or Tom Cruise. Etc.

Yeah but none of those even come close to this.

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:47 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1PoPZF82FX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 11533951)
Yeah but none of those even come close to this.

Roman Polanski was accused of raping an underage girl, no?

Woody Allen took lewd photos of his adopted daughter.

beesonosu 01-09-13 11:59 PM

Proclivities. That's a nice way of putting it I guess. Nobody's perfect, but for me, there should be a line drawn somewhere. Raping your five-year old daughter? That's as far across the line as you can get, no? I can watch plenty of great actors in classic roles and movies who haven't raped children. But, then again, I don't care enough about movies to be mesmerized by the acting of a child rapist, regardless of how good it is. At that point, I would rather just not be mesmerized. I'm guessing you'd think differently if he had raped someone you care about, but he didn't, so carry on being mesmerized by a child rapist.

foofighters7 01-10-13 12:02 AM

Way to really run with something that isn't a fact in any way whatsoever.

Btw, your mom raped my mom beesonosu.... uh. how dare she!? Your moms a rapist now. deal with it.

I just said it so it must be true. Now what you gonna do?

Supermallet 01-10-13 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by beesonosu (Post 11533970)
Proclivities. That's a nice way of putting it I guess. Nobody's perfect, but for me, there should be a line drawn somewhere. Raping your five-year old daughter? That's as far across the line as you can get, no? I can watch plenty of great actors in classic roles and movies who haven't raped children. But, then again, I don't care enough about movies to be mesmerized by the acting of a child rapist, regardless of how good it is. At that point, I would rather just not be mesmerized. I'm guessing you'd think differently if he had raped someone you care about, but he didn't, so carry on being mesmerized by a child rapist.

You're right, he didn't rape anyone I know. I'm not going to apologize for appreciating his acting abilities, regardless of what he did at home. If he really did rape his daughter, that's reprehensible, and it's a shame nothing was ever done while he was still alive. But none of that changes the quality of his performances.

My other favorite actor of all time is Toshiro Mifune. I'd feel the same way if I heard this about him.

beesonosu 01-10-13 12:15 AM

To foofighters: Eh, I never said it was true. I really have no vested interest on whether it is or not. I hope it isn't for both of their sake's, although I guess that would make her a greedy liar. I never looked up to him or down on him, never really thought much about him at all actually.

I was simply responding to a particular line of thinking. Perhaps I could have been more clear on that. Next time, respond to what I actually wrote and not what you think you read.

caligulathegod 01-10-13 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533959)

He never adopted Soon-Yi and he was never married to Mia Farrow, so she was not really ever considered his daughter. Also, she was 19-20 when the photos were taken. He was 56 at the time, for what it's worth, and she is the adopted sister of his biological son. So, it's not altogether without a skeevy factor, but it's a bit unfair to misrepresent it.

PopcornTreeCt 01-10-13 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533959)
Roman Polanski was accused of raping an underage girl, no?

She wasn't 5 and it was only once.

Supermallet 01-10-13 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 11533985)
He never adopted Soon-Yi and he was never married to Mia Farrow, so she was not really ever considered his daughter. Also, she was 19-20 when the photos were taken. He was 56 at the time, for what it's worth, and she is the adopted sister of his biological son. So, it's not altogether without a skeevy factor, but it's a bit unfair to misrepresent it.

Fair enough. But my point is that bad deeds in one area of a person's life don't automatically invalidate everything else they ever did.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 11533989)
She wasn't 5 and it was only once.

Ohhhh, my bad. It was only once. She wasn't five.

Hear that, big name celebrities, you can rape underage girls--but only once!--if they're older than five and it'll still be okay to like your movies. But do it again and man oh man are we going to stop liking your movies so fast!

foofighters7 01-10-13 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by beesonosu (Post 11533984)
To foofighters: Eh, I never said it was true. I really have no vested interest on whether it is or not. I hope it isn't for both of their sake's, although I guess that would make her a greedy liar. I never looked up to him or down on him, never really thought much about him at all actually.

I was simply responding to a particular line of thinking. Perhaps I could have been more clear on that. Next time, respond to what I actually wrote and not what you think you read.

wow. That was....odd.

OK, I'll respond to what you wrote...

" I'm guessing you'd think differently if he had raped someone you care about, but he didn't, so carry on being mesmerized by a child rapist. "

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......... I don't think I think you just wrote that, you think?

Perhaps you should, you know, KNOW what you're writing before you write it. That's all I'm saying.
If you're being theoretical that's fine but that doesn't sound theoretical. It sounds like you were casting stones like teenagers throwing popcorn at the movies...Perhaps a Herzog film?

Giles 01-10-13 12:40 AM

one word: ew!

foofighters7 01-10-13 12:52 AM

Seriously!

She wasn't even that hot!

beesonosu 01-10-13 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533975)
I'm not going to apologize for appreciating his acting abilities, regardless of what he did at home. If he really did rape his daughter, that's reprehensible, and it's a shame nothing was ever done while he was still alive. But none of that changes the quality of his performances.

You shouldn't have to apologize, certainly not to any of us. I guess my previous post was a little over-exaggerated. We can all agree such a crime is horrific. What I am trying to say is that I can recognize that actor "x" is an amazing actor, while simultaneously recognizing that my enjoyment of said actor can change based on things outside of how they appear on film. It doesn't change the quality, might not even change my appreciation, but it does change my attitude. I choose not to support them, with my money or with my time.

You seem to be able to reconcile that, but for offenses as egregious as this, I cannot. Like I said, there's a line there - for me, anyway.

GoldenJCJ 01-10-13 01:06 AM

How about that Hitler? Hell of a painter, that guy! ;)