DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Interstellar (2014) (D: Nolan; S: McConaughey, Chastain, Hathaway, Caine, Burstyn) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/607834-interstellar-2014-d-nolan%3B-s-mcconaughey-chastain-hathaway-caine-burstyn.html)

Groucho 01-09-13 11:01 PM

re: Interstellar (2014) (D: Nolan; S: McConaughey, Chastain, Hathaway, Caine, Burstyn)

"From the producer of Superman Returns 2..."

foofighters7 01-09-13 11:03 PM

re: Interstellar (2014) (D: Nolan; S: McConaughey, Chastain, Hathaway, Caine, Burstyn)

my god!

This Pro Nolan Anti Nolan debacle is hilarious!

I'm not a Nolan fanboy by any means. I wasn't one who was blown away by TDK. I didn't leave the theater raving about how it was amazing and the best film of the year.

Having said all that, Nolan is a very capable director. His films are not convoluted.

People looking for rationality in a Sci-Fi film has always made me laugh. Making Sense? Really?

They make sense so as far as you only listen to what the movie is telling you.

The same applies to basically any Sci-Fi film.

I really think people want to say they dislike his films simply because there are so many fat guys in Joker shirts who live in their parents basement who go on like Nolan is Kubrick 2.0. It's easy to say you dislike him. You don't want to be part of 'those' people.

That is certainly tiresome but it shouldn't take away anything directly from Nolan.

He's good, stop pissing on him. Is he one of the best Directors today?...I don't think so, but I'm sure he is as capable as most other directors many of you would hail as masters. If you bring up Joss Whedon as a great director/writer or think he's better than Nolan...well I'll just say you too should come upstairs and pay some rent to your parents.

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bootsy (Post 11533868)
'He makes my head hurt, I have to think a little too much I like simple stuff like The Avengers. Damnit why does he make me think.' says Billy errr Supermallet

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/Ac...1296-17129.gif
Those goddamn cats climbing up trees..

Just quoting this in case you decide to edit it later.

Nick Martin 01-09-13 11:09 PM

Foofighters7 speaks the rational, level-headed truth.

Unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears considering how irrational and shit-headed these pro / anti extremists (which itself is really pathetic, I mean really? Extremists over a filmmaker?) are.

No middle ground here. Only dicks I've thrown on ignore (GA, DT) and those who continue to suck them off. It's funny how one of those dicks is anti, the other is pro. They should just drop trou and suck each other off already.

Have fun. :)

Dragon Tattoo 01-09-13 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533907)
Just quoting this in case you decide to edit it later.

Why would he edit it later? We all know you. You're going to hate the film even if it's good.

God help us all if it comes out the same year as Avengers 2.

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:13 PM

What will you do if I like it? Will your head explode? Will you stop posting here? I'd like to know.

The reason I asked for strong characters and a good plot is because I want to like it. Memento, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight are some of my favorite films of the 00's.

Hazel Motes 01-09-13 11:13 PM

Every film Nolan has made scores either a 7,8, or 9 out of 10 for me. So naturally I'm game for this.:thumbsup: I'll definitly see it in theaters.

Dragon Tattoo 01-09-13 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533913)
What will you do if I like it? Will your head explode? Will you stop posting here? I'd like to know.

Probably stunned disbelief for awhile and then I move on to the Prometheus 2 thread, where you'll no doubt be whining about that.

Either way it'll never happen.

PopcornTreeCt 01-09-13 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11533895)
So, on one hand it sounds great but on the other...it sounds great.

Ugh, no that was terrible.

Not a huge fan of Rotten Tomatoes but here goes:

The Dark Knight Rises 87%
Inception 86%
The Dark Knight 94%
The Prestige 76%
Batman Begins 85%
Insomnia 93%
Memento 92%

Not totally unexpected rankings... if we could get some Memento / Insomnia Nolan that inri222 mentioned that would be fantastic.

Dragon Tattoo 01-09-13 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 11533919)
Ugh, no that was terrible.

Inception 86%

-screwy-

PopcornTreeCt 01-09-13 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 11533902)
my god!

This Pro Nolan Anti Nolan debacle is hilarious!

I'm not a Nolan fanboy by any means. I wasn't one who was blown away by TDK. I didn't leave the theater raving about how it was amazing and the best film of the year.

Having said all that, Nolan is a very capable director. His films are not convoluted.

People looking for rationality in a Sci-Fi film has always made me laugh. Making Sense? Really?

They make sense so as far as you only listen to what the movie is telling you.

The same applies to basically any Sci-Fi film.

I really think people want to say they dislike his films simply because there are so many fat guys in Joker shirts who live in their parents basement who go on like Nolan is Kubrick 2.0. It's easy to say you dislike him. You don't want to be part of 'those' people.

That is certainly tiresome but it shouldn't take away anything directly from Nolan.

He's good, stop pissing on him. Is he one of the best Directors today?...I don't think so, but I'm sure he is as capable as most other directors many of you would hail as masters. If you bring up Joss Whedon as a great director/writer or think he's better than Nolan...well I'll just say you too should come upstairs and pay some rent to your parents.

I don't understand this at all. The best sci-fi films are often grounded in reality and typically offer us a warning of the future.

musick 01-09-13 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 11533882)
Interstellar? More like InterSTELLAR* am I right?

*I capitalized the second half of the title to emphasize the word "stellar" contained within because this will inevitably be a stellar piece of filmmaking with Christopher Nolan at the helm.

well at least you didn't go there >>> CHRISTopher Nolan :p

Guru Askew 01-09-13 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 11533919)

I'm too lazy to look for myself but I'm pretty sure it actually looks a little more like this you troll:

Batman Begins: 100%
The Dark Knight: 100%
The Dark Knight Rises: 99%
Following: n/a*
Inception: 100%
Insomnia: 100%
Memento: 100%
The Prestige 100%

*haven't seen: Criterion costs more than a full week's allowance

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:26 PM

:lol:

JumpCutz 01-09-13 11:27 PM

gryffinmaster 01-09-13 11:29 PM

Well, that didn't take long. :lol:

PopcornTreeCt 01-09-13 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 11533930)
I'm too lazy to look for myself but I'm pretty sure it actually looks a little more like this you troll:

Batman Begins: 100%
The Dark Knight: 100%
The Dark Knight Rises: 99%
Following: n/a*
Inception: 100%
Insomnia: 100%
Memento: 100%
The Prestige 100%

*haven't seen: Criterion costs more than a full week's allowance

rotfl

Guru Askew 01-09-13 11:32 PM

OMG I just realized Nolan is doing an IN trilogy. INsomnia. INception. INterstellar. ::chills:: can't wait for the blog laying out all the parallels. Nolan is truly a genius.

foofighters7 01-09-13 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 11533927)
I don't understand this at all. The best sci-fi films are often grounded in reality and typically offer us a warning of the future.

Hmm..
Star Wars- happened in the past not the future.

2001- I'll give that to you.

Star Trek- Sucks

Blade Runner- uh, no. more about humanity than a chilling vision of things to come.

Star Wars Episode 1- We should all learn from this. The warnings for us were all over this one.

Solaris- No, Russia doesn't exist anymore... Solaris didn't see that one coming, did it!

Solaris 2.0- clearly nothing learned as Clooney is back in space this year with Sandra Bullock.. (ok, I'm looking forward to this one actually)

Terminator- Well we all know Cyberdyne is just a shiny name for Wal-Mart so I'll give you this one too.

Planet of the Apes- hmm well it's just a matter of time so once again I give you props.

etc etc etc.. YOU'RE WRONG! So there!

Supermallet 01-09-13 11:40 PM

Man, there is some grade A trolling going on in this thread. Kudos.

gryffinmaster 01-09-13 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533943)

Maybe it should be reported to a moderator.

PopcornTreeCt 01-09-13 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11533943)

I don't think foofighters was being serious.

foofighters7 01-09-13 11:46 PM

NO!!! I'm shocked that I wasn't taken seriously in my last post! Shocked! ;)

Guru Askew 01-09-13 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 11533938)
OMG I just realized Nolan is doing an IN trilogy. INsomnia. INception. INterstellar. ::chills:: can't wait for the blog laying out all the parallels. Nolan is truly a genius.

You guys ready to have your asses rocked?

Batman BegINs
FollowINg

You heard it here first.

gmanca 01-10-13 04:18 AM

This was originally a Spielberg film that I always thought should have just been converted into an adaptation of The Dig, which is begging for live-action film.