Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (2014) (D: Nolan; S: McConaughey, Chastain, Hathaway, Caine, Burstyn)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Interstellar (2014) (D: Nolan; S: McConaughey, Chastain, Hathaway, Caine, Burstyn)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Interstellar (2014) (D: Nolan; S: McConaughey, Chastain, Hathaway, Caine, Bursty

I would love for there to be more 2D IMAX films.
Old 03-27-14, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Interstellar (2014) (D: Nolan; S: McConaughey, Chastain, Hathaway, Caine, Bursty

I wish there were more films made for IMAX instead of being out on IMAX when not fully benefiting what IMAX is.
Old 03-27-14, 11:18 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good...I would call her.
Old 03-27-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good...I would call her.
Who knew that Eddie Money had such old school rap knowledge.
Old 03-27-14, 11:44 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Who knew that Eddie Money had such old school rap knowledge.
I opened for Skee Lo
Old 03-27-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Top 3 directors for me that still will fight for film is QT, Spielberg, and Nolan.
Darren Aronofsky & Paul Thomas Anderson
Old 03-27-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Len Wiseman.
Old 03-27-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
J.J. Abrams.
Old 03-27-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Terrence Malick
Old 03-27-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Celluloid distribution is done. It won't get a second chance, it's over. Digital is the future whether anyone likes it or not. He and some other high-profile directors will still be able to shoot on film, but for how much longer I have no idea. I'd assume films as high-profile as 2001 and Citizen Kane have had DCPs made for them at some point though. I think that the few remaining IMAX with 15/70 projectors will probably be celluloid's last stand when this comes out. Wonder if my IMAX does anymore? Wonder when those laser systems will hit the LIEMAX and try to make them more than just brighter 2K. Looking forward to this, back on topic, surprised that there hasn't been at least a first trailer beyond the teaser at this point. Anything that would strike a blow against 3-D wouldn't make me lose any sleep though.
You can still shoot on film and distribute digitally. I think it's an acceptable trade-off.
Old 03-27-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Top 3 directors for me that still will fight for film is QT, Spielberg, and Nolan.
Well, they're in great company. Among the world-class directors who never switched to digital:

D.W. Griffith
John Ford
Mario Bava
Chang Cheh
Kinji Fukasaku
Edward D. Wood Jr.

Old 03-27-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've often wondered what many classic filmmakers would've made of CG, digital, etc. Although in Stanley Kubrick's case, it probably would've meant even longer waits between projects for an obsessive perfectionist like him.
Old 03-27-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also wonder what some modern filmmakers would do if they couldn't use it as a crutch. I love Fincher, but the effects in Fight Club are looking dated.
Old 03-27-14, 11:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Many special effects look dated, including the ones that aren't CGI.
Old 03-28-14, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but 2001 still looks like it was made yesterday.
Old 03-28-14, 03:24 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I love the movie, but no, it looks old simply by the picture quality alone. Maybe that's not what you meant. I do think it's one of those rare scifi films that has held up as well as ever, but it definitely has aged.
Old 03-28-14, 06:26 AM
Banned

Supermallet mentioned this before but... PanAm. They're dead now.

A lot of it holds up but it is dated but not aesthically unappealing.
Old 03-28-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am more concerned about issues with the preservation rather than the presentation of digital film:

Film preservation 2.0
Old 03-28-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was referring to special effects.
Old 03-28-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by JackBurton
I am more concerned about issues with the preservation rather than the presentation of digital film:

Film preservation 2.0
Wow, that's an excellent article (by Matthew Dessem of Criterion Contraption blog fame). It may cover territory we're all familiar with, but it does so in a concise, readable way that even an old fart like me can understand and it offers a stern reminder of the issues we face in preserving digital media.

Here are some significant excerpts:

The practical result of this is that a digital film archive needs to invest heavily in data migration to maintain its assets. Every five years or so, each film needs to be copied to new media, in a constant race against magnetic-tape degradation and drive obsolescence. This requires time and money: new tapes, new drives, staff to copy and verify the data. It’s worth it to studios, as long as they continue to make money from their libraries. But a studio that stops migrating its data will lose it quickly. If the last decade has taught us nothing else, it’s that our system rewards executives who make horrible long-term decisions for short-term results. (See Jamie Dimon.) In the analog world, most of the cost of preservation is paid when the archival print is created. But for a digitally preserved film, the cost of migration shows up every five years. Postponing it is going to be tempting, especially during buyouts, changes in management, or any of the near-constant corporate turmoil that puts huge short-term pressure on cost-cutting. Films that continue to make money are probably safe, but for bombs—whether they were genuinely terrible or interesting failures—the incentives are all wrong. Putting a significant part of our cultural heritage in a system where a five-year gap in funding means catastrophic, irrevocable loss seems to guarantee we’ll lose some of it.
Worse still, if the studio’s copies of a Digital Source Master are lost, another copy isn’t likely to appear. The Digital Cinema Packages that are distributed to theaters are encrypted with keys that will only work for a limited period of time—after the key expires, the data is irretrievable. So the days of a pristine print being found in the basement of a small-town theater are over—at best, trash-pickers would find hard drives with files they couldn’t play back. Even if they found a way to crack the encryption and extract the data, the DCP is compressed—like Blu-Rays and DVDs, not all of the image information in the DSM is present. There’s a failsafe: currently, studios also store a 35mm print, either a color negative or a black-and-white YCM color separation. This doesn’t preserve all of the information as perfectly as the digital copy, but if properly stored, this copy can last 100 years before it begins to deteriorate. However, producing the film copy is already expensive, and as the laboratories capable of producing film prints disappear, costs will continue to rise. It’s a matter of years, not decades, before the digital copy is the only copy, and that means assets can be permanently lost on a very short timeline.
Old 03-28-14, 10:47 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I was referring to special effects.
Agreed. There's nothing aged about the special effects.
Old 05-05-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New trailer coming out next week, will be shown before Godzilla. Rumored to run 2:24.
Old 05-06-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Many special effects look dated, including the ones that aren't CGI.
Agree, which is why it is amazing how well Jurrasic Park's special effects hold up. They are still amazing. Technology has advanced but what they did in that movie combing props, sets and limited REALLY GOOD CGI is amazing.

It still has the most effective CGI sequence on film in my view, and one of Spielberg's best scenes that truly captures the hidden childhood dream of seeing a live dinosaur:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/PJlmYh27MHg?hl=en_US&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/PJlmYh27MHg?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 05-06-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

That's the problem with CG though, they replaced practical effects with it. It should have never gone that route, CG should have only been used to touch up and amplify practical effects, not replace them entirely. My favorite thing about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (yes the 2005 movie version has its fans) is the fact it's one of the few movies from the last 20 years to use full size puppets for a change, and that movie, despite being a decade old, largely looks fantastic still (the all CG scenes though show their age).
Old 05-06-14, 09:00 AM
Banned

To a degree I agree with you but also practical effects have a limitation to whatever even a solid director could want. JP's big dinosaur finale couldn't have been done by the mechanics of that time. Or even now. JP also mixed the practical and CG elements really well though. CG didn't replace practical. It merely became a dominant form.

Look at Nolan for example. He mixed all kinds of effects. Even miniatures for that train going down in BB. The Tumbler taking down that dump truck in TDK too. Etc etc. It is all about how you use it.

I'm glad CG exists but don't like that it is at times a crutch in storytelling.

The practical effect within possibility is always the best one. Sometimes though the CG effect can create or establish what would not be practical as a physical effect at times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.