Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Reserved Seats at the Theater?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-04-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to know DVDtalk movie goers think about reserved seats at the Movie Theater? I know as a parent and someone getting older, we don't quite have the time to stand in line for the best seats.

With reserving seats, you can show up right before the movie and get the seat you want. On the flip side though, if you didn't plan ahead and/or didn't know about the reserved seats, you might be stuck at the bottom of the theater, even if you show up much earlier than others.
Old 01-04-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Thoughts on Reserved Seats at the Theater?

If it's a theater where I know where my preferred seat is (e.g. the Ziegfeld in Manhattan), that might be a good idea. In most multiplexes, where I have to try out 5 or 6 seats before I find a barely comfortable one, then it's not a good idea.
Old 01-04-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as I like the idea, I'm put off by the sur-charge the theater would insist upon adding for this service. I also love the idea that sooner or later you'll get some meathead sitting in "your" seat who refuses to move and now there's even more fist fights breaking out.
Old 01-04-13, 04:24 PM
Banned by request

There are many theaters in LA that are 100% reserved seating only. It's quite convenient to order in advance, show up 5 minutes before the movie, and have one of the best seats in the house.
Old 01-04-13, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
As much as I like the idea, I'm put off by the sur-charge the theater would insist upon adding for this service. I also love the idea that sooner or later you'll get some meathead sitting in "your" seat who refuses to move and now there's even more fist fights breaking out.
This.

Logistically it would be too hard for major chains to implement without charging more.

Just get to the theater 20 minutes early and you should be fine.
Old 01-04-13, 04:27 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I love reserved seating.
Old 01-04-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like having some theaters with reserved seating (and other perks like a bar, leather seats, etc) mixed in with your regular theaters. Sometimes i'll pay the premium, other times I don't care.
Old 01-04-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it. The only tough part would be coordinating with a bigger group for a popular screening, but that can be managed with the right timing. Plus I don't believe there is any extra charge associated with it at the local AMC.

Last edited by bluetoast; 01-04-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Reserved seating for midnight premieres is the only way to go. Beyond that it's really just a matter of preference and advanced planning.
Old 01-04-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the only way I roll. Unless it's at a revival house or places like New Beverly, Cinefamily, Nuart, etc. Those joints don't offer reserved seating, but they're niche theaters that show rare and special stuff.

Any other theater and I've already bought my tickets days or weeks in advance.
Old 01-04-13, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Theaters actually enforce the rules out here. In fact, reserved seating keeps the meatheads and rift-raft out for the very reason that they don't want to pay the surcharge. It works itself out.

The nicer theaters even have bars, lounges, and recliners, etc...
Old 01-04-13, 04:52 PM
Banned by request

I want to try the Marina Del Rey theater that just opened where every show is 21+.
Old 01-04-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I want to try the Marina Del Rey theater that just opened where every show is 21+.
Woah, is that an AMC or other company? That would be cool.
Old 01-04-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I mentioned it in another thread, but I absolutely love the Cinepolis theaters that are here in southern California. The food is actually great, call buttons for waiters in your big leather reclining seats, and full bars. $20 well spent.
Old 01-04-13, 05:05 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Woah, is that an AMC or other company? That would be cool.
It's the AMC. They closed their doors and just rebranded as an Alamo Drafthouse-style theater where you can get food brought to your seat and every show has alcohol, etc.
Old 01-04-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I would be too worried my reserved seat would be right next to a screaming kid or talkative parent...at least I have the option to move if I just get to the theater early enough. But, then again, you have the same issue with reserved seats at a sporting event or a concert.

There are a few theaters in my area that have reserved SECTIONS...you pay a premium to sit in bigger, leather seats that are in the front of the front of the "stadium" level. But even that has its problems, as people just move there after the lights go down (virtually ZERO enforcement in theaters these days).
Old 01-04-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
It's the AMC. They closed their doors and just rebranded as an Alamo Drafthouse-style theater where you can get food brought to your seat and every show has alcohol, etc.
Woah, may have to give it a try. I'd hate the drive though. It'd be for something special if I went way over there. Good to know.
Old 01-04-13, 05:23 PM

I love it. I only go to theaters that have it, if I can. This way I can pick my own seat and show up right before the film without worry.
Old 01-04-13, 05:26 PM
Banned by request

Woah, may have to give it a try. I'd hate the drive though. It'd be for something special if I went way over there. Good to know.
Two of my friends work there so I'm planning on getting me some free movies.
Old 01-04-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theaters actually enforce the rules out here. In fact, reserved seating keeps the meatheads and rift-raft out for the very reason that they don't want to pay the surcharge. It works itself out.

The nicer theaters even have bars, lounges, and recliners, etc...
I would love all that. The only theater in my town is the crappy mall multiplex, which caters exclusively to riff-raff.
Old 01-04-13, 05:43 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Love reserved seating.

However, at a recent outting for Skyfall, the following happened:

I bought 3 tickets and reserved seats. The 3rd person was to meet us at the theater but cancelled at the last minute. I went to return the ticket and did get a refund. The seat next to me (reserved with the ticket i bought and returned) stayed empty the whole time.

i didn't do that on purpose, nor would i encourage it, but as i was watching the movie, i thought "huh...what's to stop people from doing that?"
Old 01-04-13, 05:46 PM

Wow. Every movie theater I've ever been at in my entire life has had a strict "no refunds" policy.
Old 01-04-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Muvico theater we go to in Thousand Oaks has reserved seating. The tickets are $2-3 more than other theaters, but the seats are WAY MORE comfortable and the theaters themselves are higher quality sound systems, so I am totally fine with paying more for a much more pleasant and planned out movie going experience.
Old 01-04-13, 05:59 PM
Banned by request

Most movie theaters allow refunds prior to the start time of the show. Some of them have refund policies up to 15 minutes into the runtime of the show in case you don't like the movie. None of them will refund after the movie has finished as a matter of policy, but if you harangue a manager enough (which I don't recommend), you might get an exception.
Old 01-04-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it. I'd much rather be able to choose where I want to be ahead of time, then I don't have to worry about showing up and finding someone in the seats I would've wanted.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.