Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Originally Posted by dom56

I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but I thought he was good in this. Movie was pretty dark, great visual and sound.
I love that film and had more fun watching that than the MI movies

I know most people think it was terrible and it bombed.

It came out around the time Tom jumped on Oprah's couch so that was not a good time in his career.

4K release coming?
Old 08-08-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was listed as the Getaway on Cinemax?

Emily Ratajkowski a master thespian
Old 08-08-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

St. Agatha (2019)

If the entire film had the focus of the final 15-minutes, Darren Lynn Bousman might have had a much better result.
Old 08-08-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised this has not been released on Blu-ray yet
Old 08-08-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

British Sounds (See You At Mao) - One of Godard's most political films/documentaries (and that's saying a lot). I'm slowly making my way through the Godard + Gorin boxset that Arrow Films released a while back. At 51 minutes, this wasn't that bad. I liked the opening factory tracking shot and the voiceover that accompanied it...I enjoyed the faux "newscast" that appeared about midway through the film. The last fifteen minutes or so are pretty confusing, but that's true with most of Godard's political films. He just can't help but overwhelm the viewer with information, oftentimes featuring several voices speaking at the same time along with a voiceover on top of all of that. For a pseudo-intellectual film, you could do much worse. That said, it would probably take several more viewings before I totally got the gist of the film...I'd recommend this one only for die-hard Godard fans...And that said, I still much, much prefer his more narrative-driven films from early on in his career...

Also rewatched Basic Instinct for the umpteenth time. What can I say? I love this Verhoeven movie...I think the score is perfect, and I thought both Sharon Stone and Michael Douglas gave great performances (I also liked George Dzundza (sp?) as Douglas's partner). I believe this to be one of the great thrillers of the '90s, and the San Francisco setting is just perfect. The twists and turns always lure me into the movie...Just a classic...

Last edited by Goonies85; 08-08-19 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added movie
Old 08-08-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - For what it's worth, I thought the opening half-hour or so was pretty good, the direction was frenetic (but NOT in the annoying "shaky-cam" way, which is nice) but solid, and I loved the locations that they used to film the movie. However, man does it ever fall apart in the last forty or so minutes. I just lost complete interest. I did end up finishing the movie, but I'm not even sure it tops the original (which wasn't that great to begin with). Nevertheless, I didn't mind Cage's performance, and Idris Elba was good, as per usual...
Old 08-09-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Mission of Honor - Watch this on Netflix last night. True story about the Poles in RAF fighting the Germans in WW2. Star the actor who play Ramsey Bolton in GoT. It was good not great I give it a 3 of 5.
Old 08-09-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Roxanne (1987) — Breezy and just all around enjoyable rom-com with Steve Martin in excellent form (though his performance in Trains, Planes and Automobiles, released the same year, was better). Seen this one several times over the years and still holds up so well. 4.0/5
Old 08-09-19, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally took it off from my DVR and it looked like one of those movies you save on your DVR and intend to watch but never do.

It was not that bad as I expected and watching Lily James made it somewhat tolerable.
Old 08-09-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got the man card back

This was not that bad for a JCVD movie.

Maybe he did his best acting since he had no dialogue

He was more of a supporting character and this was probably more of a drama than action movie.

The chase scene with the gang guys chasing the kids was quite thrilling.
Old 08-09-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Hunted (2003) — Decent enough thriller with some violent fight scenes, especially at the end, between Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro. Really basic plot (barely one if I'm being honest) but still entertained, partially because it was filmed in my native state of Oregon. 3.25/5
Old 08-10-19, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Battle Royale (2000) 4.0/5

A Japanese 9th grade class with little respect for authority embark on what they believe is a year-end field trip but find themselves on an uninhabited island where they have 72 hours to kill each other until a sole survivor is declared the winner.

70-year-old Kinji Fukasaku apparently agreed to direct the film because the source novel reminded him of his youthful attitudes. Many of Fukasku's 15-year-old classmates were killed in the bombing of the munitions factory where they worked. Survivors realized the Japanese government had been lying about the progress of WWII, which led to Fukasaku having a burning hatred for adults in general that persisted for many years.

Battle Royale II (2003) 2.5/5

Survivors of previous Battle Royales have banded together to form a terrorist organization. A class of losers and misfits is tasked with destroying them on their island stronghold.

Directed by Fukasaku's son, the film has lots of action and FX explosions but little of the character development that made the first film more interesting for me.
Old 08-10-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
The Hunted (2003) — Decent enough thriller with some violent fight scenes, especially at the end, between Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio Del Toro. Really basic plot (barely one if I'm being honest) but still entertained, partially because it was filmed in my native state of Oregon. 3.25/5
I loved this underrated movie. No bullshit in it. I especially loved the scene where Benicio's character just kind of goes, "I'm going to kill you. And you. And you." No insane monologues, he just states what he's going to do. I thought the knife fights were also terrific. And you're right, great scenery in the movie...I thought Friedkin really delivered when it came to this movie...Wish it was out on Blu-Ray...
Old 08-10-19, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Chance to See (2009) 3.0/5

Disappointing mini-series with some interesting facts but little of the exquisite nature photography BBC is noted for.

Zoologist Mark Carwardine and comedian Stephen Fry travel to 6 locations to see what has happened to species on the verge of extinction in the 20 years since Carwardine and author Douglas Adams visited those locations for their BBC radio series and book.

A snippet from one episode showing a New Zealand kakapo attempting to mate with Carwardine (no wonder that species is nearly extinct!) has been viewed more than 11 million times:
Old 08-10-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Hateful Eight - Probably my fourth or fifth viewing. First off, I love the movie. I think it's great. It's grown on me the more I watch it (especially the first five or six minutes with the wonderful Morricone music and the beautiful frontier scenery; especially love the cruxifixction statue, really sets the tone)...And Demian Bichir is hilariously good in this, as is Walton Goggins and the rest of the cast)...That said, by the third act I was like, man, this is a bit long...Still great, but of his recent movies, I'd still say Django Unchained is slightly better, but I'd rank this one a little bit above Inglourious Basterds...I also own the screenplay that was released in book format and it's a really interesting read...Just happy Tarantino did decide to make this movie instead of shelving it like he originally said...

The Ghost Writer - Surprisingly? My favourite Polanski movie. Yes, above Chinatown, Repulsion, Knife in the Water (which I absolutely love), Cul-de-sac, and Carnage (which is also a more recent Polanski movie that I thought was terrific)...I loved Ewan in this, and Pierce was great...Loved the musical score and loved the ambiguousness of the whole thing...Great movie...
Old 08-10-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL

It took me a few years to finally finish watching this movie. I think I started when I first got the Blu-ray, stopped and was finally able to finish it today.

I still find this movie really slow and annoying up to the point where Ralph gets to Sugar Rush land. Then it becomes a better movie. As a gamer, I like the nods to the old games plus love the small trivia and hidden eggs section on the Blu-ray every time you pause it.
I LOVED this movie the first time I saw it. I thought John C. Reilly was the perfect voice for Ralph, and I thought Sarah Silverman was great, as well...I just thought this movie had the sort of "feeling" that is witnessed in the best Pixar movies...Just a well-crafted little gem...And I've been meaning to see the sequel but I can't imagine it ever living up to the original...Oh well, I'll pick it up on Blu-Ray one day...
Old 08-10-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I loved this underrated movie. No bullshit in it. I especially loved the scene where Benicio's character just kind of goes, "I'm going to kill you. And you. And you." No insane monologues, he just states what he's going to do. I thought the knife fights were also terrific. And you're right, great scenery in the movie...I thought Friedkin really delivered when it came to this movie...Wish it was out on Blu-Ray...
Yep, two great understated performances from both Jones and Del Toro. Not sure who owns the rights now to put it on Blu-ray as I think Warner had bought a large chunk of Paramount's catalog titles some years back, I assume this was one of them. Hope someone like Shout or Arrow buys the rights and gives it a restoration (if it needs it) and maybe a couple new features (an interview with Friedkin would be cool).
Old 08-10-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it though the ending was kind of weak

I don't think I would buy the blu-ray.
Old 08-10-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Ghost Writer - Surprisingly? My favourite Polanski movie. Yes, above Chinatown, Repulsion, Knife in the Water (which I absolutely love), Cul-de-sac, and Carnage (which is also a more recent Polanski movie that I thought was terrific)...I loved Ewan in this, and Pierce was great...Loved the musical score and loved the ambiguousness of the whole thing...Great movie...
Love this Polanski film as well. Saw it at the cinema and a few times on DVD. First time didn't see the end coming at all. Other viewings, although I knew the punch it still felt very well constructed and totally plausible. I wouldn't say it's my #1 Polanski but its up there...
Old 08-11-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CA$H (2008)

Over complex and too many twists and treasons and double dealings and infiltrated agents, etc. After a while I lost count and was just waiting for the final dénouement to see who betrayed who and who set who up. Not awful if you like caper movies and conmen but there are simpler ones and better ones out there.
Old 08-11-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

D&D: Wrath of the Dragon God (2005)

A group of heroes embark on a quest to save the realm against a dark power that has risen and wants to awaken an evil dragon God.
Even for fans of the role playing game, this low budget entry in the franchise is a bit painful. Bad overacting, cheap CGI, predictable script. Still has some fun moments but you must really love the genre and have nothing else to do to enjoy it.
Old 08-11-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Amphibian Man (1962)

Bizarre 60s russian scifi tale. A benevolent but slightly mad scientist has saved his son's life who had a fatal pulmonary disease by fitting him with gills so he can live underwater. Now this doctor wants to do the same for the rest of humanity so they could live in the sea where food supply are plenty! But his son falls for a beautiful gypsy and would rather live on earth with her...
Strange and sometimes beautiful, cheesy at times but wonderful too. Will need a rewatch to make up my mind.

Old 08-11-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Le mystère Henri Pick (2019)

Amusing french film set in the exciting world of book editing! A literary critic is suspicious of a new book that has hit the stands and is making a killing with both critics and readers and that was supposedly written by a recently deceased almost*illiterate*pizza restaurant owner in Bretagne. He'll go to all extremes to prove it'S a hoax. Luchini is funny as usual (not overdoing it as he usually does) and the plot is fun and simple. Beautiful scenery and nice characters. Great summer film.

Old 08-11-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Eidelweiss Pirates (2004)

Ordinary film about a group of german youth during the end of WW2 who decide to fight in their own way against the NAZI regime and the HItler youth patrolling the neighbouhood. Could have been a great tale but lacks a good director and a tighter script. Still, not a waste of time.
Old 08-11-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CameraMan: The Life and Work of Jack Cardiff (2010)

Nice documentary about one of the best directors of photography during the 50s/60s both in England with Powell/Pressburger (amongst others) and in Hollywood. Lots of fine directors, actors, producers recount his tale. Lovely.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.