Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Anyone But You (2023) - Netflix

Old 04-24-24, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

I really enjoyed this film. A heist film where the real participants in the heist (as well as others) are interviewed, mostly at the beginning & end of the film. 8 out of 10 for me
Old 04-24-24, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 194 Posts

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 20th Century Fox 4K
Andy Serkis. Directed by Matt Reeves. 2014
A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species.

The excellent second chapter of the trilogy. The opening of the film, detailing the "simian virus" that decimated Mankind, seems very prescient now. The wall-to-wall effects, -specifically the motion capture apes, -is consistently terrific and very convincing. Another excellent disc from Fox.
Old 04-25-24, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 04-25-24, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 732 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole

I really enjoyed this film. A heist film where the real participants in the heist (as well as others) are interviewed, mostly at the beginning & end of the film. 8 out of 10 for me

A rare time Cinemax had a movie premiere and this was not a bad movie.
Old 04-25-24, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New on Netflix

September 3, 1939. The world is on the brink. A monumental session with two of the greatest minds of the twentieth century Sigmund Freud and C.S. Lewis over the future of mankind and the existence of God."

The movie is not as interesting as the subject matter.

It is not bad but could have been a lot better and really slow.
Old 04-25-24, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shocking news it sucked.

The future wife of Chris McCaffrey Olivia Cuopo should stick to her day job.
Old 04-25-24, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 04-25-24, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Farewell, My Lovely Shout Factory Blu-Ray
Robert Mitchum. Directed by Dick Richards. 1975
In the early 1940s, Private eye Philip Marlowe attempts to locate Velma, a former dancer at a seedy nightclub and the girlfriend of Moose Malloy, a petty criminal just out of prison. Marlowe finds that once he has taken the case, events conspire to put him in dangerous situations, and he is forced to follow a confusing trail of untruths and double-crosses before he is able to locate Velma.

Robert Mitchum is dead solid perfect as Phillip Marlowe; his age only makes him seem that much more world-weary. The rest of the cast is quite good, too, and includes Charlotte Rampling, Harry Dean Stanton, John Ireland, Anthony Zerbe, Joe Spinell, and Sylvester Stallone (with no spoken lines). I'd give it a "B", - it's entertaining and evocative of the period, but it lacks the budget, the style and the more complex script of "Chinatown". It has the look of any low budget studio backlot film shot in the '40s or '50s. Well, except for a side-trip to a Whore House right out of a '70s Roger Corman film and including some regular Corman players.
The following users liked this post:
DeFan (04-26-24)
Old 04-25-24, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Big Sleep Shout Factory Blu-Ray
Robert Mitchum. Directed by Michael Winner. 1978
While in London Phillip Marlowe is called upon by General Sternwood who is being blackmailed over his daughter Camilla's gambling debts. The mystery deepens when the gun-running husband of Sternwood's other daughter, Charlotte, goes missing, and Marlowe finds himself surrounded by the usual web of intrigue and murder.

Robert Mitchum returns as Phillip Marlowe, but this time in a contemporary setting. By updating the time period, the film loses all its Noir-ish flavor and becomes more of a standard Procedural. Director and Screenwriter Michael Winner doesn't add much in the way of style. The cast is mostly solid, with James Stewart, Oliver Reed, Sarah Miles, John Mills all giving by-the-book performances, while Candy Clark (Oscar nominee for "American Graffiti") is embarrassingly bad. The picture quality of the disc itself is quite good.

Last edited by DWilson; 04-25-24 at 11:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DeFan (04-26-24)
Old 04-26-24, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 04-26-24, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Old 04-26-24, 12:12 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson

Farewell, My Lovely Shout Factory Blu-Ray
Robert Mitchum. Directed by Dick Richards. 1975
In the early 1940s, Private eye Philip Marlowe attempts to locate Velma, a former dancer at a seedy nightclub and the girlfriend of Moose Malloy, a petty criminal just out of prison. Marlowe finds that once he has taken the case, events conspire to put him in dangerous situations, and he is forced to follow a confusing trail of untruths and double-crosses before he is able to locate Velma.

Robert Mitchum is dead solid perfect as Phillip Marlowe; his age only makes him seem that much more world-weary. The rest of the cast is quite good, too, and includes Charlotte Rampling, Harry Dean Stanton, John Ireland, Anthony Zerbe, Joe Spinell, and Sylvester Stallone (with no spoken lines). I'd give it a "B", - it's entertaining and evocative of the period, but it lacks the budget, the style and the more complex script of "Chinatown". It has the look of any low budget studio backlot film shot in the '40s or '50s. Well, except for a side-trip to a Whore House right out of a '70s Roger Corman film and including some regular Corman players.
For me Robert Mitchum is right up there with Humphrey Bogart as a noir star. I like both the movies you mentioned in the same order but I'd re-watch "Out of the Past" before either. I recently watched "His Kind of Woman" but didn't like it enough to comment. In these silicone days Jane Russell isn't a big deal but fans of Vincent Price should check it out.

Old 04-26-24, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

The Mighty Ducks and D2

I had never seen these before and gave them a chance to knock them off my enormous backlog and I rather enjoyed the first film alot. It's definitely a Disney movie but it was fun.

The second film is more by the numbers and predictable then anything else and it's missing some of the fun of the first. But it was still worth watching I think. I'll watch the third movie soon
Old 04-26-24, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dumb Money Sony DVD
Paul Dano. Directed by Craig Gillespie. 2023
A ragtag group of amateur investors, gamers and internet trolls bring Wall Street to its knees by reviving the challenged brick-and-mortar video game retailer GameStop, making it the first so-called meme stock.

A well-made film of a difficult to translate topic. Honestly, for me it was like watching a Foreign film, where I was a bit lost in the details, but I got the gist of what was going on. Good cast, but a little Pete Davidson is a little too much Pete Davidson.
Old 04-26-24, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

War for the Planet of the Apes 20th Century Fox 4K
Andy Serkis, Woody Harrelson. Directed by Matt Reeves. 2017
Caesar and his apes are forced into a deadly conflict with an army of humans led by a ruthless Colonel. After the apes suffer unimaginable losses, Caesar wrestles with his darker instincts and begins his own mythic quest to avenge his kind.

The first half of this film is Matt Reeves making a Western, with "Caesar" as his Clint Eastwood, on a journey of revenge. It then becomes a dark, grueling story of torture and slavery, with "Caesar" now as "Spartacus". It's all very epic and emotional, though I think it might have been better served losing ten minutes or so. Nevertheless, it's a fine production, and a great trilogy, and I hope the new film, -set 200 years after this one, -doesn't let us down.
Old 04-27-24, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix

"There's just one dream for the women of Ballygar to taste freedom: to win a pilgrimage to the sacred French town of Lourdes. With a little benevolent interference from their local priest, a group of close friends get their ticket of a lifetime."

It was ok but nothing really special.

Stephen Rea has changed a lot and could not recognize him at first
Old 04-27-24, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson

Dumb Money Sony DVD
Paul Dano. Directed by Craig Gillespie. 2023
A ragtag group of amateur investors, gamers and internet trolls bring Wall Street to its knees by reviving the challenged brick-and-mortar video game retailer GameStop, making it the first so-called meme stock.

A well-made film of a difficult to translate topic. Honestly, for me it was like watching a Foreign film, where I was a bit lost in the details, but I got the gist of what was going on. Good cast, but a little Pete Davidson is a little too much Pete Davidson.
Kind of like The Big Short where I had no clue what was going on
Old 04-27-24, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"The story of Travis, Candice and their daughter, Kenisha, and their relationships with the same red dress."

I thought this was pretty good
Old 04-27-24, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu

Written and directed by Veena Sud (“The Killing”), the film follows Clare (Maika Monroe), a recent transplant to Los Angeles who falls into a freeway nightmare after her ride-hail passenger, Carl (Dane DeHaan), identifies himself as a serial killer.

Avan Jogia or the dude who is now dating Halsey was pretty good too as the gas station attendant and I liked how most of it happened at night.

It got horrible reviews but I liked it and hope Veena Sud continues to do more stuff.
Old 04-27-24, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Pushed to the breaking point, an abused woman (Kim Basinger) turns the tables on the gang of thugs who want to beat and rape her."

Maybe it had potential but it was crap and Lukas Haas was too wussy to play a villain.

Kim Bassinger is a smokeshow but she is a bad and a mediocre actress.

Maybe she should return that Oscar for Hollywood Confidential to the Academy.

Old 04-27-24, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monolith Well Go Usa Blu-Ray
Lily Sullivan. Directed by Matt Vesely. 2022
A headstrong journalist whose investigative podcast uncovers a strange artifact, an alien conspiracy, and the lies at the heart of her own story.

I can't help but wonder if this Australian film was the result of Covid concerns. There's only one on-screen actor, -Lily Sullivan, -with all the other actors participating as voices she communicates with on-line or over-the-phone. Sullivan is very good and the film is compelling, but at the end of the day, the film has to come up with an answer for the questions it raises. For my money, "Monolith" pulls a bait and-switch, first giving you a big revelation that answers a question you weren't really asking. It then follows with a final scene that was one big head-scratcher for me, but with which the filmmakers seem very satisfied with.
Old 04-27-24, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was shit
Old 04-27-24, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MGM+

Not a huge Statham fan but this was pretty entertaining.

Josh Hutcherson was chewing the scenery.

I assume there might be a sequel in the future.
Old 04-27-24, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe I had this on my Directv DVR for 3 or 4 years

It had some laughs here and there and surprised I did not hate Katherine Heigl in this movie and she was probably the most likeable character

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.