Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Superman: Red Son (2020)

Rented this from Red Box. Basically it's an alternate elseworlds take on the Superman lore with Kal-El landing in Russia prior to the cold war instead of Smallville and becoming Superman in the Soviet Union.

It was an interesting idea, but not great to be honest. They took some liberties with some DC elements. I won't spoil them here.
Old 03-28-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Superman: Red Son (2020)

Rented this from Red Box. Basically it's an alternate elseworlds take on the Superman lore with Kal-El landing in Russia prior to the cold war instead of Smallville and becoming Superman in the Soviet Union.

It was an interesting idea, but not great to be honest. They took some liberties with some DC elements. I won't spoil them here.
I vaguely remember reading some comics as a youngster with a communist hero (might have been Justice League World or something) joining a team of capitalist super-heroes. Red Sentinel or some other cheezy name. When you dig in old Marvel and DC during the cold war, the communist baddies creep up a lot. A commie Superman is a cool idea though! Too bad the movie isn't too impressive according to you. Might check it one day if it comes out on DVD/blu-ray...
Old 03-28-20, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
I vaguely remember reading some comics as a youngster with a communist hero (might have been Justice League World or something) joining a team of capitalist super-heroes. Red Sentinel or some other cheezy name. When you dig in old Marvel and DC during the cold war, the communist baddies creep up a lot. A commie Superman is a cool idea though! Too bad the movie isn't too impressive according to you. Might check it one day if it comes out on DVD/blu-ray...
Not sure I understand that last line. It is available to rent on DVD and Blu-Ray, hence the artwork. It's also available on digital as well. I rented the DVD from Red Box yesterday as I mentioned.

For me, it's strictly a rental. I wouldn't blind buy it even if you don't "rent" discs.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-28-20 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The Grudge (2020) — Despite a fine cast, this latest entry (and quasi reboot) is pretty dull. I did like some of Pesce's direction and shots, but far too many of the cliched zingers from these supernatural-horror films. Probably won't remember very much about this in a few days (if not less)... *¾/*****
Old 03-28-20, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Double feature last night. Enjoyed them so much I had to watch the commentaries today.
Old 03-28-20, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I can see why it bombed.

The special effects in the motorcycle chase was awful

How could that happen in a Bruckheimer production and why the F is Ang Lee directing this?

Old 03-28-20, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Grudge (2020)

Enjoyed this a bit more than the Takashi Shimizu 2004 remake.

Appreciated the non-linear narrative, Andrea Riseborough's performance as well as the film's chosen Cinematography.
Old 03-28-20, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not sure I understand that last line. It is available to rent on DVD and Blu-Ray, hence the artwork. It's also available on digital as well. I rented the DVD from Red Box yesterday as I mentioned.

For me, it's strictly a rental. I wouldn't blind buy it even if you don't "rent" discs.
Don't know what Red Box is. I thought it was an online streaming service of some sort. I'm still hardware, no Netflix or any of those. Just physical media. I'm in Québec so Red Box is not an option here. So I'll have to buy it some day to check it out. Sometimes I watch new releases years later, when I finally get them second hand! Except fo the ones I really want to see then I'll buy those right away.
Old 03-28-20, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1917 (2019)

Technically incredible and captivating from start to finish.

I regret not seeing this film in an actual theater.
Old 03-28-20, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Don't know what Red Box is. I thought it was an online streaming service of some sort. I'm still hardware, no Netflix or any of those. Just physical media. I'm in Québec so Red Box is not an option here. So I'll have to buy it some day to check it out. Sometimes I watch new releases years later, when I finally get them second hand! Except fo the ones I really want to see then I'll buy those right away.
Sorry I didn't notice you were Canadian. Red Box is a self service video rental disc service here in the States. The boxes are mostly in grocery stores. They rent out new and some older DVDs and BDs for $1.50 and 2.00.
Old 03-29-20, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Quentin's best starring role. Clooney again shines. Juliet is wonderful. Harvey is against his grain as a character but works wonderfully. Awesome opening sequence at the gas station. I love this movie.
Old 03-29-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Happy Death Day (2017)

The Groundhog Day (1993) theme is familiar, it doesn't stop this film from being a whole lot of fun.

Most of that is due to the film having a great cast (led by Jessica Rothe) and finding creative uses for its PG-13 rating.
Old 03-29-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Happy Death Day 2U (2019)

While the film is a bit derivative of its predecessor, this film is still very fun.

This is again due to the great cast, with Jessica Rothe putting on another enjoyable performance.

Didn't care for the Sci-Fi slant to the film but it didn't necessary bother me either.
Old 03-29-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The Sixth Sense (1999) — Been a long time since I last watched this, but it still is a fantastic supernatural-drama where even knowing the twist, still works so well. The performance from all involved were fantastic, and the interactions between Willis and Osment were great. Don't mind admitting, the emotional scenes at the end did get to me. *****/*****
Old 03-29-20, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (2018)

Absolutely wonderful Documentary on this fantastic TV show.

Loved the integration of both stories from those who worked on the film as well as the legacy left with fans.
Old 03-29-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not as good as the first movie.

It had some laughs in the beginning and then kind of went downhill once his daughter and her friends came into the movie.
Old 03-29-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked this even better the third time and in HD. Glad I have it in my collection.

Great performances and gives you a look at what happens behind the scenes of wrestling though this was not family friendly WWE and more like ECW.

Too bad Rourke was competing with Sean Penn (Milk) for the best actor Oscar in 2008.

Rourke had a mini-resurgence after this and then went back to doing straight to DVD releases.
Old 03-29-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ANNA via HBO, this was totally off my radar and I watched this over the weekend, this was terrific enjoyed it a lot... very John wick-ish
Old 03-29-20, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bloodshot (2020)

Not nearly as awful as I'd been hearing but the film is still rooted in an average script.

Still, the film does have some fun Action Sequences and cool visual effects work.

Old 03-30-20, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Invisible Man (2020)

Loved this film.

Fantastic performance from Elisabeth Moss & another fine effort from Writer/Director Leigh Whannell.
Old 03-30-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Streaming on Netflix.

I liked it. Vikander and the guy who played Teiji was good too.

Old 03-31-20, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Just watched the blu-ray of this French film and I am still trying to process it all. One of the reviews said it was a is an ambitious and genre-bending work meant to shock and awe and that pretty much describes it. Plot is about a man who is taking care of his sister for the past 20 years after she accidentally shot herself in the face as a child (this is shown in the film without pulling away which gives you an idea about the grimness of the film). The brother is preparing for aliens to come take him and his sister away which he believes will happen any day now.

The Acting and make-up effects are excellent. The woman pictured on the poster is a model in real life, but not like any you have seen before. I liked the film but it is definitely not for the faint at heart.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (04-01-20)
Old 03-31-20, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agron was 4 years older than Pettyfer but both of them were in high school
Old 04-01-20, 12:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole

Just watched the blu-ray of this French film and I am still trying to process it all. One of the reviews said it was a is an ambitious and genre-bending work meant to shock and awe and that pretty much describes it. Plot is about a man who is taking care of his sister for the past 20 years after she accidentally shot herself in the face as a child (this is shown in the film without pulling away which gives you an idea about the grimness of the film). The brother is preparing for aliens to come take him and his sister away which he believes will happen any day now.

The Acting and make-up effects are excellent. The woman pictured on the poster is a model in real life, but not like any you have seen before. I liked the film but it is definitely not for the faint at heart.

It's a tough watch, but it was one of the films that stuck with me the most from watching it last year.
The French Blu-ray is region free and the film has English subtitles, but none of the special features include English subtitles.
​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Jaymole (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Just happened to record this the other night. Freaking awesome film about the history of the James Bond series. It originally aired on EPIX in 2012. Covers the series from Ian Fleming’s background all the way to Daniel Craig being cast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.