Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41 (1972)

Who knew that a Women In Prison film could be so stylish & beautiful?
Old 06-13-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

A nice revisit and liked it better the second time
One of my personal favourites. All three of the main actors give great performances. Loved how Wayne Kramer followed this up with the very underrated Running Scared, which is a mindf**k of a movie (in a good way). It's too bad the last thing of his I saw was Crossing Over, which was a pretty big disappointment. I believe that movie had some issues during production, with actors ducking out and the studio suggesting he recut it. Haven't heard much from him since...I'm hoping he makes a comeback sometime soon, as he's clearly talented...
Old 06-13-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched Afterschool again for the second time and liked it even more than the first time I watched it many years ago. Antonio Campos is a great filmmaker (I loved his recent movie, Christine). Ezra Miller is a bit hit-or-miss for me, but he was great in this, and so was the actor who played his roommate. There were also a few other actors that I noticed that have since went on to become bigger stars...The movie is pretty disturbing and the way it is shot is very unusual...The camera angles are never quite what you would expect them to be...A lot of characters end up talking without their faces even appearing in the frame...Just a very well done movie...
Old 06-14-18, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In honor of this week's US Open Tin Cup on DVD
Old 06-14-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Narrow Margin (1990) — Okay 90s thriller starts off really well but kind of falls flat in the finale (mainly with the predictable twist), but otherwise Gene Hackman and Anne Archer were both good. ***/*****
Old 06-14-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Watched Afterschool again for the second time and liked it even more than the first time I watched it many years ago. Antonio Campos is a great filmmaker (I loved his recent movie, Christine). Ezra Miller is a bit hit-or-miss for me, but he was great in this, and so was the actor who played his roommate. There were also a few other actors that I noticed that have since went on to become bigger stars...The movie is pretty disturbing and the way it is shot is very unusual...The camera angles are never quite what you would expect them to be...A lot of characters end up talking without their faces even appearing in the frame...Just a very well done movie...
I agree that Antonio Campos is a great filmmaker. Afterschool is excellent. If you haven't yet, you need to check out Simon Killer.
Old 06-14-18, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Finished up Man With the Golden Gun, not a great Bond movie, but still a lot of fun.
Old 06-14-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I watched Ocean's 8 today. I needed to kill some time today while I was getting my car serviced and this was the earliest showing movie. I like it and it's perfectly fine. I would have liked a little bit more humor, but overall, I thought this was much, much better than the all female Ghostbusters reboot. 3.5/5
Old 06-14-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

The special effects look dated
Old 06-15-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my personal favourites. All three of the main actors give great performances. Loved how Wayne Kramer followed this up with the very underrated Running Scared, which is a mindf**k of a movie (in a good way). It's too bad the last thing of his I saw was Crossing Over, which was a pretty big disappointment. I believe that movie had some issues during production, with actors ducking out and the studio suggesting he recut it. Haven't heard much from him since...I'm hoping he makes a comeback sometime soon, as he's clearly talented...
I liked it too and how they showed the reminants of Old School Vegas

I checked IMDB and Kramer has a NYPD cop drama with Alec Baldwin in pre-production so he has new stuff coming up
Old 06-15-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was not as bad as the reviews. I think it was the first time I have seen it since 2009.

Leslie Mann doing the Australian accent cracked me up.

I assume the Seth Rogan character was suppose to be Judd Apatow early in his career.
Old 06-15-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

American Animals (2018)

Part Heist film. Part Documentary.

The stylistic choices from Director Bart Layton might divide audiences but they helped add a new coat of paint to a very familiar Genre-structure.
Old 06-16-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by inri222
I agree that Antonio Campos is a great filmmaker. Afterschool is excellent. If you haven't yet, you need to check out Simon Killer.
I need to check that out. Any reason why his movies don't ever get Blu-Ray releases? You'd think some company would release them in Hi-Def...
Old 06-16-18, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it too and how they showed the reminants of Old School Vegas

I checked IMDB and Kramer has a NYPD cop drama with Alec Baldwin in pre-production so he has new stuff coming up
Didn't know that...sweet...And you're right about Old School Vegas...I've been their twice and made an effort to check out the places that are "kind of" off the strip and you see a lot of cool stuff...I usually just people-watched...Didn't have to do too much gambling...Vegas is very interesting visually...
Old 06-16-18, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was not as bad as the reviews. I think it was the first time I have seen it since 2009.

Leslie Mann doing the Australian accent cracked me up.

I assume the Seth Rogan character was suppose to be Judd Apatow early in his career.
I think this is super-underrated. My favorite dynamic is the relationship between Rogen/Jonah Hill/and Jason Schwartzman...And Aubrey Plaza was hilarious...The scene with Adam Sandler and Eminem and Ray Romano always cracks me up...Rogen: "I though everybody loved you?"...

And Eric Bana is hilarious...Always love the guy...And he's awesome in dramatic stuff like Chopper...But he started off as a comedian and it shows...

And the RZA is great...

Last edited by Goonies85; 06-16-18 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 06-16-18, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman

Narrow Margin (1990) — Okay 90s thriller starts off really well but kind of falls flat in the finale (mainly with the predictable twist), but otherwise Gene Hackman and Anne Archer were both good. ***/*****
The original Film Noir is also amazing. I believe (I might be incorrect) it starred Charles MacGraw...Regardless, it's a very, very good movie...was in one of the Warner Brothers Film Noir Boxsets that they released on DVD way back in the day...
Old 06-16-18, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ready Player One (2018)

Second time seeing this film. Just as enjoyable as the first!
Old 06-16-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The original Film Noir is also amazing. I believe (I might be incorrect) it starred Charles MacGraw...Regardless, it's a very, very good movie...was in one of the Warner Brothers Film Noir Boxsets that they released on DVD way back in the day...
Yeah, found out it was a remake after seeing it. Might have to check it out.

Mission: Impossible (1996) — Still holds up pretty well even when the technology is, of course, dated. Good starting point through for what would become a surprisingly enduring franchise. 3.75/5
Old 06-16-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - 4.5/5

In this prequel to the TV series about the last days of Laura Palmer's life, David Lynch gives us a dark disturbing film that goes back to the rawness contained in his previous films and the earlier TV episodes.
Old 06-16-18, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mission: Impossible 2 (2000) - Enjoyed some parts of it, especially early on, but the kung-fu elements really did not mesh at all with what Mission: Impossible is (and Cruise as Hunt looked ridiculous at the end with some of those moves). I generally like John Woo movies (hell, ashamed to admit, I don't even mind Paycheck), but this one didn't work. Good news is, it did bring us a change-up with Abrams' M:I-3. 2.75/5
Old 06-17-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Incredibles 2 - I thought this film was wonderful, a big kudos to Brad Bird and the opening apology for making us wait 14 years to enjoy a sequel was pretty funny, and yeah it was worth the wait.

Thor Ragnarok - Netflix. Man, this is one rewatchable film.

Set It Up - Netflix. A fun watch and I really like the cast for this film.
Old 06-17-18, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good rental but predictable as hell

Hadn't seen that in ages but have been in the mood for golf movies given this week's US Open.
Old 06-17-18, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mission: Impossible (1996) — Still holds up pretty well even when the technology is, of course, dated. Good starting point through for what would become a surprisingly enduring franchise. 3.75/5
Mission: Impossible 2 (2000) - Enjoyed some parts of it, especially early on, but the kung-fu elements really did not mesh at all with what Mission: Impossible is (and Cruise as Hunt looked ridiculous at the end with some of those moves). I generally like John Woo movies (hell, ashamed to admit, I don't even mind Paycheck), but this one didn't work. Good news is, it did bring us a change-up with Abrams' M:I-3. 2.75/5
How were the 4K presentations?
Old 06-17-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
How were the 4K presentations?
Excellent and was impressed with the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 tracks (big upgrade from the Dolby Digital on the original Blu-rays).
Old 06-17-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sherlock Gnomes (2018) — Harmless yet still dull and unfunny (not to mention) needless sequel that's probably best for kids under 8. I think the voice actors (Johnny Depp, James McAvoy and Emily Blunt) were just as uninterested in the material. 1.5/5

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.