Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Clerks III (Smith, Sometime this Decade)

Chasing Amy is the best post-Annie Hall romantic comedy ever made. Not romance movie. Romantic comedy.
Old 12-12-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Chasing Amy is my favorite of Smith's movies. I just hope we don't get a Still Chasing Amy - ever.
Old 12-12-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Did you forget to add something into your post?

Originally Posted by Mabuse
1. I have enjoyed all things Clerks. The animated series is very funny. Clerks 2 made me smile from ear to ear. Loved the music, the performances, the nostalgia, the dialogue. Brilliant film.

2. All the Kevin Smith hate on the internet blows my mind. Ten years ago the guy was nearly universally loved. The amount of shit people pile on him is outrageous. He's made some great films.
I agree, poeple act like he raped them or killed their puppy.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Chasing Amy is my favorite of Smith's movies. I just hope we don't get a Still Chasing Amy - ever.
Chasing Amy isnt just a good Smith movie it is also very good as a movie without needing to add Kevin Smith to conversation.
Old 12-15-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a huge post written the other day but cooler heads prevailed and I held back from posting it. Now after a few days, and finding the ignore feature, I feel much better.

As for the funding issues I've mentioned before I think that Smith has had a rough go of things on various movies. If seems like he often has to take a pay cut or forfeit his salary completely to get his films made. I applaud the work he put into making and promoting Red State even if I hate the movie. Smith has stated in his podcast all about the status of Clerks III that people from the Clerks II are STILL waiting on money owed to them and that is a major reason for no set start day for the 3rd film. He's not a blockbuster director so I understand not giving the guy piles of cash for his films but as a fan of his I do get a little bummed out when I hear his struggle to make a movie.

As for the people that return to this thread time and time again to just remind us how much they hate Kevin Smith.....we get it. Personally I hated The Dark Knight Rises and while I might of been brave enough to share my opinion, an unpopular one among movie snobs/fans, I don't need to jump into a Batman or Nolan thread time and time again to contradict the positive opinions people have about that film and director. The anonymity of the internet gives people such huge balls that they use them instead of their brains when they communicate. I don't say this as an angry Kevin Smith fan.....I say it as an outraged fan of movies in general.

Last edited by MasterofDVD; 12-16-12 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-16-12, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Had a huge post written the other day but cooler heads prevailed and I held back from posting it. Now after a few days, and finding the ignore feature, I feel much better.

As for the funding issues I've mentioned before I think that Smith has had a rough go of things on various movies. If seems like he often has to take a pay cut or forfeit his salary completely to get his films made. I applaud the work he put into making and promoting Red State even if I hate the movie. Smith has stated in his podcast all about the status of Clerks III that people from the Clerks II are STILL waiting on money owed to them and that is a major reason for no set start day for the 3rd film. He's not a blockbuster director so I understand not giving the guy piles of cash for his films but as a fan of his I do get a little bummed out when I hear his struggle to make a movie.

As for the people that return to this thread time and time again to just remind us how much they hate Kevin Smith.....we get it. Personally I hated The Dark Knight Rises but and while I might of been brave enough to share my opinion, an unpopular one among movie snobs/fans, I don't need to jump into a Batman or Nolan thread time and time again to contradict the positive opinions people have about that film and director. The anonymity of the internet gives people such huge balls that they use them instead of their brains when they communicate. I don't say this as an angry Kevin Smith fan.....I say it as an outraged fan of movies in general.
I've written about Kevin Smith on numerous occasions.

Kevin Smith set indie filmmaking back years by turning Sundance in to his own personal carnival taking attention away from hard working filmmakers desperately trying to get people to see their film.

While Smith kept reporters in his movie to announce he was going with no distributor, there were filmmakers on the scene praying for one distribution deal offer.

I have no respect for Kevin Smith. He doesn't respect independent filmmaking.

P.S. My name is Felix Vasquez Jr. It's nice to meet you!
Old 12-16-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
As for the people that return to this thread time and time again to just remind us how much they hate Kevin Smith.....we get it. Personally I hated The Dark Knight Rises and while I might of been brave enough to share my opinion, an unpopular one among movie snobs/fans, I don't need to jump into a Batman or Nolan thread time and time again to contradict the positive opinions people have about that film and director. The anonymity of the internet gives people such huge balls that they use them instead of their brains when they communicate. I don't say this as an angry Kevin Smith fan.....I say it as an outraged fan of movies in general.
Threadcrappers love to threadcrap because they can. They don't care about some bullshit "right to state my opinion" at all, they just care about dumping on something or someone because they know it'll get a reaction.

P.S. I love The Dark Knight Rises. I haven't seen ALL of Kevin Smith's movies and I've not followed him in the past few years, but he's been a favorite I need to revisit.
Old 12-16-12, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Threadcrappers love to threadcrap because they can. They don't care about some bullshit "right to state my opinion" at all, they just care about dumping on something or someone because they know it'll get a reaction.
I'm just a genuine non-fan of Kevin Smith. Not a "threadcrapper." I have nothing to gain by "threadcrapping."
Old 12-16-12, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Terminal
I'm just a genuine non-fan of Kevin Smith. Not a "threadcrapper." I have nothing to gain by "threadcrapping."
I wasn't referring to you specifically, since I've not even read all four pages of this thread. I just know that what I quoted could be applied to a billion topics and people will shit all over them for the hell of it. He could just as easily have been talking about Star Wars or roof replacement. Doesn't matter.
Old 02-18-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Please move this to Book Talk:

Now Kevin Smith is thinking about making Clerks III a book
by Sean O'Neal February 18, 2013

Much as the declarative statement Kevin Smith’s self-imposed retirement from filmmaking got lost within the rambling tangent of turning his hockey comedy Hit Somebody into a six-hour miniseries, the director is now also having trouble saying goodbye to Clerks—even more so than before. Speaking at a “Future of TV” panel hosted by the web show What’s Trending? over the weekend, Smith said that Clerks III—previously announced as Smith’s for-real-this-time final film, before Smith mused on turning it into an ongoing video series instead—might actually arrive first as an e-book, one released in chapter-by-chapter installments that would allow him to explore its characters in a way not already accomplished over two previous films, an animated series, and a comic.

“I get to go inside the characters’ heads, tell Year One origin stories where the first chapter is Dante and Randall meeting in kindergarten, all the stuff I can’t do in a movie,” Smith said of the stories he otherwise couldn't tell in an ordinary film, because of a system that unfairly demands audience interest. “That’s what I want to do, because I’m a stoner,” Smith adds, ever unnecessarily.

But lest one see putting Clerks into book form as unusually self-indulgent even for yet another Clerks sequel, Smith actually suggests the work would belong to everyone—a collaborative process that would incorporate his fans’ feedback in order to pander to them in a more immediate way than ever before. “I know people would go, ‘Why would you want to? You’re an artist,’” Smith says of the people who are always there to remind Smith that he’s an artist. “Well, now I’m a New Media artist, and the New Media artist involves the audience, and that’s something I’ve been doing for nearly 20 years at this point anyway,” Smith concludes of these past two decades that he’s spent being a New Media artist, when everyone was wrong to judge him according to old media paradigms.

Anyway, Smith admits that, like most of the ideas he’s had lately, a Clerks book is still in just the conceptual phase, as conceptualizing things is what New Media artists do. And, even if it does begin emerging as a book or web series, it’s entirely possible that Clerks 3 will still someday end up a feature film—something Smith acknowledges his collaborators would greatly prefer, because then they’d actually get paid—emerging in what he says would be “the ultimate expression of Clerks 3.” Indeed, it’s a concept so all-encompassing, it could take untold years of Smith getting stoned and talking about it.
http://www.avclub.com/articles/now-k...erks-ii,92683/
Old 02-18-13, 06:43 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I'd be interested in a prequel/sequel book written by Smith about all his NJ characters intertwining. But I'd rather see a proper Clerks 3 sequel.
Old 02-18-13, 06:45 PM

Goody! Three hundred pages of Star Wars jokes, homophobia, and weed humor.
Old 02-18-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know that I'd want to read a Clerks book. If it was a behind the scenes book, sure, but a book? I'd rather read a comic, watch an animated movie or watch a non-animated movie. Clerks is not a particularly deep series so a book seems to be the wrong way to go.
Old 02-18-13, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, not down with a book. Why hasn't he already explored all these ideas in the comic?

Riiiight....

You claim you have no interest in this yet you have more posts than anyone in this thread. Your only motive is shitting on it. Move along.
Old 02-18-13, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Move along.
A Star Wars reference. Original.

No, I wasn't thread crapping, I was merely criticizing Smith.

Damn, his fans get so butthurt when he's remotely criticized. It's funny.
Old 02-18-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be pretty funny if he made it as long as 'The Stand'.
Old 02-19-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm waiting for the announcement that it's not longer a book, but a off-broadway musical.
Old 02-19-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Frankly I won't give Clerks III a chance unless it's in diorama form!
Old 02-19-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn, his fans get so butthurt when he's remotely criticized. It's funny.
Yes, please stress homophobia as a reason you dislike smith's humor ....
Old 02-19-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't want to read a book. It's too dun hard.
Old 02-20-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the short film The Flying Car, and wouldn't mind a whole bunch more of the same, then put them all on a DVD.

The Flying Car represented a time between Clerks and Clerks 2 - an interlude, I suppose it was, and it was cool.
Old 02-20-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Multiple shorts is not a bad idea.
Old 02-20-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would go see a Clerks 3. I'm not an enormous Kevin Smith fan but I've enjoyed his movies enough to go back for more. I don't believe for a second that he's retiring "this time". I seem to remember that Dogma was supposed to be his last movie, then J&SB Strike Back was gonna be his last movie.

I have been listening to his Film School podcasts and while I found some good inspiring talk in them, his repeated statements that he's an old man and needs to retire and that film directing is a "young man's game" got tiresome. I'm less than a decade younger than Smith and I'm still working towards making my FIRST feature film someday. Times have changed since the indie boom of the 90's and you don't make it as young as Smith did these days unless your dad or uncle are in the film business (I know kids in their 20's who have made major studio movies, and every one of them had a very wealthy dad who was a producer or director). Breaking in is twice as hard for me and I don't feel old, or burnt out. What is he, 43? Sheesh. Woody Allen is almost twice that and makes a movie every year, some of them brilliant.

I also agree with someone who stated above that Smith's standup gigs are great because he has this filmmaking experience to talk about. If he's not making films, that makes him a lot less relevant. He'll sort of turn himself into a guy who comments on comic books or something.

What I'd like to see is him make Clerks 3 or whatever movie he wants and if he can't get the funding, FUCK IT, go old school and do it like he did his first one, in cheapy black-n-white. Shooting digitally is cheaper than 16 mm and somehow he made Clerks (possibly his best film) in 16 with NO studio funding when he was just a clerk himself! Get it together, man!! You don't need 20 mil to make a movie.
Old 02-20-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 02-20-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Smith puts all of his ideas out there and interacts with this audience.

That is why people hate him.

People don't complain about other artists as much because they stay very quiet.
Old 02-21-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Smith puts all of his ideas out there and interacts with this audience.

That is why people hate him.

People don't complain about other artists as much because they stay very quiet.
Good point. I like Smith, but I found his whole rant on Bruce Willis to be very strange. It's fun when a celebrity is willing to talk out of school, but it seems like Willis has worked with a lot of great directors and keeps getting work. I wonder if Smith is the only one he was difficult with, or if it's Smith who's a nut and Willis the sane one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.