Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

First pics of Maz Kanata and Max von Sydow's character:

Spoiler:

She looks like a peeled sweet potato wearing goggles. Who else is ready for Thanksgiving dinner?

Max is indeed playing a character called Lor San Tekka. I'm guessing the "message" he gives the Resistance is related to Luke.

This page is obviously taken from a children's book. The book confirms that the Resistance base is on a planet called D'Qar (NOT Yavin IV) and Maz's castle is on the planet Takodana. It also reveals Maz was a mentor to Han, so you can probably expect to see her popping up in the young Solo movie as well.
Entertainment Weekly has a new article about the Lucas "break-up". Abrams claims the studio had decided to take the story in a different direction before he even accepted the job. Maybe he's trying to not personally anger the Lucas fanatics, because I'm almost certain the trades reported that Kennedy and Abrams requested the story changes and Lucas "acquiesced". George had endorsed hiring JJ and apparently continued to provide creative input after he was on board to direct. I doubt he would have done that if he knew his outline had been rejected. Unless Disney waited until a director was in place to break the news to him?

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/20...wakens-breakup

Last edited by joe_b; 11-21-15 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-22-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 11-22-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Still not reading the thread to stay as spoiler free as possible, but you guys have only 26 days or so to get to 10,000 posts. Confident you can get there.
Old 11-22-15, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_b
Entertainment Weekly has a new article about the Lucas "break-up". Abrams claims the studio had decided to take the story in a different direction before he even accepted the job. Maybe he's trying to not personally anger the Lucas fanatics, because I'm almost certain the trades reported that Kennedy and Abrams requested the story changes and Lucas "acquiesced". George had endorsed hiring JJ and apparently continued to provide creative input after he was on board to direct. I doubt he would have done that if he knew his outline had been rejected. Unless Disney waited until a director was in place to break the news to him?

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/20...wakens-breakup
I'm sorry, but Disney was entirely in the right. I would've done the same. "Here's $4 billion for Lucasfilm, now don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out." Lucas is an incompetent filmmaker (and clearly showed that with the prequels) who had a fluke with the original film. Disney knew that and ensured to make sure he had zero involvement with the new franchise.

The Empire Strikes Back is the superior film in the franchise because it had the least involvement from Lucas. It's a shame Lucas became hands on with Return of the Jedi because we would've had a better film if Kasdan had his way with his story ideas.
Old 11-22-15, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-T_pjMr7-n0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Emma Stone

The movie is now finished, btw. Abrams was at an event with Stephen Colbert tonight and told the audience the final mix was completed at 2am that morning.

Last edited by joe_b; 11-22-15 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-22-15, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm sorry, but Disney was entirely in the right. I would've done the same. "Here's $4 billion for Lucasfilm, now don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out." Lucas is an incompetent filmmaker (and clearly showed that with the prequels) who had a fluke with the original film. Disney knew that and ensured to make sure he had zero involvement with the new franchise.

The Empire Strikes Back is the superior film in the franchise because it had the least involvement from Lucas. It's a shame Lucas became hands on with Return of the Jedi because we would've had a better film if Kasdan had his way with his story ideas.
You have to wonder how American Graffiti and THX1138 (original) came out so good.
Old 11-22-15, 06:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
You have to wonder how American Graffiti and THX1138 (original) came out so good.
Yea I wouldn't say incompetent, Over time he's changed. Which reminds me, "How are things coming along Mr. Spielberg?"
Old 11-22-15, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Nobody knows because most people haven't seen them.
Old 11-22-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
Nobody knows because most people haven't seen them.
To be fair, AG was a huge hit at the time. It was a nostalgia piece so it hasn't lived on with other generations, but it was a big hit.
Old 11-22-15, 09:58 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 929 Likes on 779 Posts

i think Jimmy Kimmel has JJ, Daisy and Boyega on Monday night 11/23 in case anyone is interested. i will be recording it of course...
Old 11-22-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

American Graffiti was fine but nothing really groundbreaking. Mostly just a nostalgia cash in which usually aren't tough sells. I don't care for THX 1138.
Old 11-22-15, 04:32 PM

Received 4,594 Likes on 3,112 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Uy-JBuBogcs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-22-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New spot looks like a lot of fun. I'm curious if the rating for this will be PG or PG13. The only one that was PG13 was Revenge of the Sith so I'm curious what this one will get.
Old 11-22-15, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God. Seems like they're really trying to make such a diverse world.
Old 11-22-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
American Graffiti was fine but nothing really groundbreaking. Mostly just a nostalgia cash in which usually aren't tough sells. I don't care for THX 1138.
Either way, American Graffiti was recognized enough for Lucas to be nominated for Best Director at age 29, still among the youngest ever. He's far from incompetent as Matthew Chmiel says. A lot changed in the ensuing years, but at least he had that foundation.
Old 11-22-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 173 Posts

Without American Graffiti, there would likely not be Happy Days... and what's life without Chachi?
Old 11-22-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,023 Likes on 631 Posts

Joanie Loves Potsie?
Old 11-22-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Uy-JBuBogcs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Fuck. Yeah.
Old 11-22-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People lose the talent and edge once they start having kids. I believe Spielberg has acknowledged this in the past. THX is (was until the changes) a great film, and Lucas was a great filmmaker. I know it has been said before, but I hope he lets the public know how his story would have unfolded. I will never accept the disney films as cannon. From the trailers I'm already sick of Will Smith light...
Old 11-22-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Either way, American Graffiti was recognized enough for Lucas to be nominated for Best Director at age 29, still among the youngest ever. He's far from incompetent as Matthew Chmiel says. A lot changed in the ensuing years, but at least he had that foundation.
Maybe not totally incompetent but somewhere along the way he let his "vision" (which apparently never ends) for Star Wars get too convoluted and stupid where he sucked a lot of the fun out of the films and how some people (myself included) enjoyed them. It's only with The Force Awakens that my love of the series has really been rekindled. I always liked the Original Trilogy don't get me wrong but I hate what he did to the films and how we haven't been able to get a proper release of them without any of the stupid changes. Hopefully that changes soon and hopefully Disney brings the fun back to the series.
Old 11-22-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both THX II38 and American Graffiti are superior to Star Wars.
Old 11-22-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Maybe not totally incompetent but somewhere along the way he let his "vision" (which apparently never ends) for Star Wars get too convoluted and stupid where he sucked a lot of the fun out of the films and how some people (myself included) enjoyed them. It's only with The Force Awakens that my love of the series has really been rekindled. I always liked the Original Trilogy don't get me wrong but I hate what he did to the films and how we haven't been able to get a proper release of them without any of the stupid changes. Hopefully that changes soon and hopefully Disney brings the fun back to the series.
Yeah I agree- if the vision keeps changing (and involves retroactive changes) and you're surrounded by yes men...things will go bad. Still waiting on his experimental films he promised after RotS, but I doubt that's happening.
Old 11-22-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'm certainly hoping for more scintillating trade disputes.
Old 11-22-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
To be fair, AG was a huge hit at the time. It was a nostalgia piece so it hasn't lived on with other generations, but it was a big hit.
That was my point.
Old 11-22-15, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 346 Posts

THX 1138 is one of my all time favorite films...well until Lucas took a giant digital shit on it. He ruined that film even more than the OT, IMO. In the original the underground factory was claustrophobic and creepy so of course he had to open it up and add a bunch of CGI nonsense. Just like not fixing the actual problems in the OT but doing pointless changes in THX 1138 you can see "Goodyear" on the tires on the car that he uses to escape at the end of the film.

Thank fucking god that Universal didn't let Lucas replace Ron Howard with an Ewok in American Graffiti.

Double thank fucking god that Lucas has no control over Star Wars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.