Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by TGM
My guess is that Luke really struggled with the lure of the Dark Side after ROTJ and felt the need to shut it down for fear of turning into his father.
That's what I think too. Yoda says something in ROTJ about once you start down the path of the Dark Side it will effect you forever. Luke started down that path in ROTJ, and maybe he keeps feeling the pull of the Dark Side trying to get him back. Yes, Anakin was redeemed from the Dark Side, but he died moments afterward. If he had lived for years afterward instead, maybe he would constantly be fighting against the lure of the Dark Side too.

Maybe it is like addiction. Once you start indulging even once you can get addicted, and there is a constant urge to keep going back to it. Even if you break an addiction, it is still very easy to get re-addicted. It becomes a lifelong battle of fighting the addiction.

Another consideration is that there is a rumor that
Spoiler:
Kylo Ren is Luke's son. Maybe that failure effected Luke enough to make him want to go into hermitage. Kylo Ren appears to care about Vader when he was shown in the trailer having Vader's melted helmet and saying he will continue Vader's work. Why Kylo would care about Vader doesn't really appear to make much sense, unless he is Vader's grandson...
Old 10-22-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

344 pages, 8577 posts. For a film still two months away. Is this some kind of record for DVD Talk? Or were there previous films that had more pre-release pages than this?
Old 10-22-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
344 pages, 8577 posts. For a film still two months away. Is this some kind of record for DVD Talk? Or were there previous films that had more pre-release pages than this?
I'm pretty sure we've had pre-release subforums for some movies. For prior Star Wars, Matrix Sequels and LOTR films. You know, when the name "DVDTalk" was actually a pull and not archaic.
Old 10-22-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I watched the newest trailer at work and didn't see the big deal. Later that night at home I watched it on my xbox one and thought it was great.

I also thought the "anti-white" campaign that is going around is pretty comical as well.
Old 10-22-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The anti-white campaign is just a troll job, and the media bought into it with glee... like they always do.
Old 10-22-15, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, that's actually the first place I saw it (one of those 7pm entertainment shows) - I laughed that they fell for it.....like the entire internet did as well.

EDIT: I also dug how the trailer didn't give much away at all and for people like me who don't follow this beloved franchise every step of the way...I actually appreciated that.
Old 10-22-15, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
What happened to those Youtube videos of the guy that was doing a review of the previous movies, one every month? I think the last one I saw in this thread was The Clone Wars one.
He did ESB this month. As much of a super geek as this guy is I actually like his reviews of these films.
Old 10-22-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
When Episode3 came out they created a subforum due to all the different threads. Back then threads could only be a certain length before it would get locked and another thread started. Will be interesting to how many different ones will get created once people see the movie.
Old 10-22-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well there are four films and a TV series in some stage of production, comic books and novels, merchandise, and whatever video games are going to pop up. That's more than enough to support a subforum.
Old 10-22-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Will be interesting to how many different ones will get created by Oldboy once people see the movie.
Fixed.
Old 10-22-15, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Well there are four films and a TV series in some stage of production, comic books and novels, merchandise, and whatever video games are going to pop up. That's more than enough to support a subforum.
Speaking of TV series, Lucas mentioned several years ago that he was planning a live-action TV series in addition to the animated Clone Wars series. That probably got canned when Disney bought Star Wars, but has anything about it ever been mentioned? Disney does have all those Marvel TV shows going on, so maybe there is a possibility for Star Wars TV shows too?
Old 10-22-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I remember reading years ago that Rick McCallum said that they had like 47 scripts already written or something ridiculous like that. And also that some musician mentioned online that he recorded some shit as a test, then his post got deleted.

Edit:

Here we go, Lucas himself said that 50 eps were written, and Disney is evaluating the possibility of a show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...tion_TV_series

Last edited by bluetoast; 10-22-15 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 12:13 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganondorf
Speaking of TV series, Lucas mentioned several years ago that he was planning a live-action TV series in addition to the animated Clone Wars series. That probably got canned when Disney bought Star Wars, but has anything about it ever been mentioned? Disney does have all those Marvel TV shows going on, so maybe there is a possibility for Star Wars TV shows too?
I was literally about to a bump a thread with a news article about this from July in the TV Forum. I think I will do that now.
Old 10-22-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

There's talk of Disney creating not one, but two live-action STAR WARS series for Netflix.

There's also been talk of Disney creating their own STAR WARS-only cable channel.

Both are just discussions right now...nothing solid.
Old 10-22-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
There's talk of Disney creating not one, but two live-action STAR WARS series for Netflix.

There's also been talk of Disney creating their own STAR WARS-only cable channel.

Both are just discussions right now...nothing solid.
I'm kinda surprised they'd consider Netflix and not, well, the network they own. I can understand shunting Daredevil over there, but a Star Wars tv show should do great in primetime (then have Netflix buy the streaming rights)
Old 10-22-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm kinda surprised they'd consider Netflix and not, well, the network they own. I can understand shunting Daredevil over there, but a Star Wars tv show should do great in primetime (then have Netflix buy the streaming rights)
Disney currently has some kind of long-term deal with Netflix for original content - that's why Netflix has Daredevil.
Old 10-22-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

That's what I think too. Yoda says something in ROTJ about once you start down the path of the Dark Side it will effect you forever. Luke started down that path in ROTJ, and maybe he keeps feeling the pull of the Dark Side trying to get him back. Yes, Anakin was redeemed from the Dark Side, but he died moments afterward. If he had lived for years afterward instead, maybe he would constantly be fighting against the lure of the Dark Side too.

Maybe it is like addiction. Once you start indulging even once you can get addicted, and there is a constant urge to keep going back to it. Even if you break an addiction, it is still very easy to get re-addicted. It becomes a lifelong battle of fighting the addiction.

Another consideration is that there is a rumor that
Spoiler:
Kylo Ren is Luke's son. Maybe that failure effected Luke enough to make him want to go into hermitage. Kylo Ren appears to care about Vader when he was shown in the trailer having Vader's melted helmet and saying he will continue Vader's work. Why Kylo would care about Vader doesn't really appear to make much sense, unless he is Vader's grandson...
Personally I've never really bought into Luke supposedly starting down the path of the dark side. Yeah he loses it briefly in his duel with Vader in Return of the Jedi but you can see after his lightsaber cuts off Vader's hand that he has regret for what he's done and stops. He got upset over the idea of Vader threatening to try and turn Leia probably because he felt that she may be more vulnerable and hadn't started down the path of the Jedi so might have been easier to turn under the right circumstances.
Old 10-22-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
AOTC is automatically better than TPM because at least Ewan McGregor is awesome as Obi-Wan.
FWIW he was awesome as Obi-Wan in TPM as well, he just wasn't in most, er much at all, of the movie lol.
Old 10-22-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Personally I've never really bought into Luke supposedly starting down the path of the dark side. Yeah he loses it briefly in his duel with Vader in Return of the Jedi but you can see after his lightsaber cuts off Vader's hand that he has regret for what he's done and stops. He got upset over the idea of Vader threatening to try and turn Leia probably because he felt that she may be more vulnerable and hadn't started down the path of the Jedi so might have been easier to turn under the right circumstances.
Yoda told him to pass on what he had learned, so I suspect they will go with that. Now what quality of a teacher he would be is up for debate. His family tree isn't the most patient.
Old 10-22-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem I've always had with Luke's training is that there wasn't much of it seen. Obi-Wan guided him a bit in A New Hope and introduced him to the Force and he has a brief amount of training with Yoda on Dagobah. That's the extent of his training and it doesn't seem like it lasts more than a couple days. I always felt like the aspect of him turning into a Jedi Knight could have been fleshed out more.
Old 10-22-15, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

The problem I've always had with Luke's training is that there wasn't much of it seen. Obi-Wan guided him a bit in A New Hope and introduced him to the Force and he has a brief amount of training with Yoda on Dagobah. That's the extent of his training and it doesn't seem like it lasts more than a couple days. I always felt like the aspect of him turning into a Jedi Knight could have been fleshed out more.
? Didn't he go back for training in between movies, or are you saying that only lasted for a couple of days? He still sucks compared to the prequel jedis, though.
Old 10-22-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I meant what's seen on screen doesn't seem like much time. I'm not overly familiar with the books and how many times he went back. I've always assumed he did but just wish it had been shown more. It feels like there could really be a story between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi as certain aspects of the the latter feel rushed. I still think it'd be cool Disney did an animated version of Shadows of the Empire or something as that story has always felt like it added more.
Old 10-22-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Luke didn't follow through on his promise to return to Yoda until after getting Han back. I'd say whatever other training he had was done on his own.

I think I remember that the time period he trained with Yoda, during ESB, lasted around 2 months. Not 100% sure about though.
Old 10-22-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I think I remember that the time period he trained with Yoda, during ESB, lasted around 2 months. Not 100% sure about though.
It's supposed to be that long? I've honestly never realized that. The whole film seems to take place over a few days or so at most.
Old 10-22-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's supposed to be that long? I've honestly never realized that. The whole film seems to take place over a few days or so at most.
It was long enough for the Millennium Falcom to reach Cloud City without hyperdrive. However long that was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.