Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Obvious troll is obvious.
Old 10-20-15, 04:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by cungar
PIERS MORGAN: The Force Awakens? Sorry, but Star Wars has sucked for 40 overrated, overhyped, preposterous years

By Piers Morgan For Mail Online

My favorite line:

I’m 50 years old and I’ve not watched a single one of the six Star Wars movies.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3p8xkphhJ
Piers Morgan is such a tired old loser. He doesn't even know how to troll correctly. No wonder he failed in this country. You can't be an interviewer and be so fucking unplugged you've never seen a Star Wars movie.

It's like I can hear the rusty old shitty gears in his idiot brain screaching out a pathetic little turd of an idea, like a tiny crap extruded from a Pomeranian's asshole dropping limply upon the grass. And I can hear it in his idiotic effete accent: "I know, I think I'll have a go at this 'trolling' thing that folks have bean going on about."

Before I read it I want to make some predictions. Does he wrestle up the chestnut that Alec Guiness didn't like the film? Then again I doubt Morgan has enough sense to even be aware of an anecdote like that which might bolster his shitty argument.

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-20-15 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The marathon here in Pittsburgh:

(a) Begins at 1am
(b) Costs $60

Two really easy reasons to pass.
a) 4 AM
b) $80

... in Indianapolis. yikes. Seems like a lot of money to me for 6 "old" movies and one new one. I could barely get through TDK and TDKR, so I can't imagine adding 5 more movies.
Old 10-20-15, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The marathon here in Pittsburgh:

(a) Begins at 1am
(b) Costs $60

Two really easy reasons to pass.
So you're a fan of the PT? I can't go through that much crap in a row.

If it was just the OT... I might do it. But RotJ would be a bitch for me to get through. It's got some of the highest of highs but then the lows drag it so much. Then take into account of the changes that look weird as hell.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-20-15 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Piers Morgan is such a tired old loser. He doesn't even know how to troll correctly. No wonder he failed in this country. You can't be an interviewer and be so fucking unplugged you've never seen a Star Wars movie.

It's like I can hear the rusty old shitty gears in his idiot brain screaching out a pathetic little turd of an idea, like a tiny crap extruded from a Pomeranian's asshole dropping limply upon the grass. And I can hear it in his idiotic effete accent: "I know, I think I'll have a go at this 'trolling' thing that folks have bean going on about."

Before I read it I want to make some predictions. Does he wrestle up the chestnut that Alec Guiness didn't like the film? Then again I doubt Morgan has enough sense to even be aware of an anecdote like that which might bolster his shitty argument.

And... nailed it

They thought the plot was preposterous, the characters’ names utterly absurd, and as for the writing, this is what Sir Alec Guinness wrote to a friend from the set during filming: ‘New rubbish dialogue reaches me every day and none of it makes my character clear or even bearable'
Old 10-20-15, 05:11 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I think the English people of "a certain generation" have a lack of something that allows them to enjoy fantasy. Guinness, for all his brilliance, didn't seem to see the qualities of the film. The crew famously failed to see the forest for the trees. The director of photography, an esteemed artist, evidently became completely witless during the production. Piers Morgan is now carrying on the tradition. England, especially in the 1970s, was a dismal place.
Old 10-20-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well it was his age and background too. He wasn't exactly known for his work in the latest blockbuster. At least Olivier had been in a hit contemporary film or two like Marathon Man. In the end it's meaningless. He's gone and his performance is left for people to enjoy whether he liked the films or not.
Old 10-20-15, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
On the Rebels cartoon (which is canon) just this past week, one of the Clone Troopers (now in hiding) says something to the effect that the clones were discontinued.
Also in season 1 of Rebels, the protagonist of the show posed as a stormtrooper cadet and infiltrated a stormtrooper academy. The cadets were clearly not Jango Fett clones.
Old 10-20-15, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Alec Guinness was said to despise the fact that Star Wars caught on like it did, being remembered forever for that roll, and not the rest of his work. Imagine having the worst day/experience possible at work but that is all your coworkers remember every day going forward.
Old 10-20-15, 05:36 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

$6.5 mil in IMAX sales so far.
Old 10-20-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Are all IMAX showings (liemax or otherwise) going to be presented in 3-D?
Old 10-20-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I re-watched the trailer again and notice a ton of those character-camera sweeping shots a la Michael Bay.
Abrams isn't as offensive as Bay, but he's cut from the same cloth of a filmmaker who worships Lucas and Spielberg and and doesn't know much about filmmaking outside of his favorite blockbusters. Abrams has always had a hyperactive cutting style, though his camera doesn't crane as much. And I still think his filmmaking usually feels more like a glorified TV pilot.

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Alec Guinness was said to despise the fact that Star Wars caught on like it did, being remembered forever for that roll, and not the rest of his work. Imagine having the worst day/experience possible at work but that is all your coworkers remember every day going forward.
Or he could look at it as being part of a cultural phenomenon that's still remember 40 years later, while most of our pedestrian lives won't be remembered by anyone.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 10-20-15 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-20-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Or he could look at it as being part of a cultural phenomenon that's still remember 40 years later, while most of our pedestrian lives won't be remembered by anyone.
I have read that he came to terms with it nearing the end of his life. I don't think he ever expected something he considered to be rubbish to be one of the most important films ever made.
Old 10-20-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I think "Who are you?" in the beginning is Maz Kanatta (Nyong'o's character) but I think the last female voice over is Leia's.

EDIT: Confirmed by the Disney Insider.
If that really is Fisher's voice, it sounds like they've done some tinkering with it in post. The cadence and pitch sound more like Nyong'o.
Old 10-20-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I re-watched the trailer again and notice a ton of those character-camera sweeping shots a la Michael Bay.
So a ton=1 now? (Maybe at the most 3)
Old 10-20-15, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joe_b
If that really is Fisher's voice, it sounds like they've done some tinkering with it in post. The cadence and pitch sound more like Nyong'o.
Not sure what you're hearing but the first voice has a distinct accent and the final one doesn't. Didn't sound post-processed to me.
Old 10-20-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

So a ton=1 now? (Maybe at the most 3)
In a 2 minute trailer? Yeah, a ton.
Old 10-20-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if some of that dialogue isn't even in the movie.

TPM Darth Maul ad.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vZE1UM6xpjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-20-15, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-r...boyega-ridley/
Old 10-20-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Not sure what you're hearing but the first voice has a distinct accent and the final one doesn't.
It doesn't? "The Force..." is clearly delivered with an accent (and not the quasi-British one Fisher used in ANH). I suppose the dialogue could be chopped up and it's Ridley or Lupita saying that part -- but it sounds like the same person throughout.
Old 10-20-15, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I have read that he came to terms with it nearing the end of his life. I don't think he ever expected something he considered to be rubbish to be one of the most important films ever made.
He also said he was pleased with the wealth he got from it, allowing him to choose roles without considering the money.
Old 10-20-15, 09:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't think the so called "Machete" order makes the prequels anymore tolerable personally. You still have to sit through the shitty Attack of the Clones and while Revenge of the Sith is the most tolerable of the three it still isn't that great.
The alternate order doesn't make the prequels more bearable, but it does help the metanarrative of the series. IV introduces the universe and all of its concepts, so it needs to be seen first. Second, retaining the surprise of Vader being Luke's father is a big asset of this viewing order, and in theory might make you more invested in the prequels as flashbacks to discover how Vader could have been Luke's father. Finally, the fall of the Jedi and Anakin in ROTS is directly juxtaposed against the fall of the Empire and Vader's redemption in ROTJ.

So it does not make the prequels better movies, but it makes more narrative sense to watch them that way.
Old 10-20-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like the music from this trailer is Rey's theme, like Luke's from ANH.
Old 10-20-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Old 10-20-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by ardathbey
Tickets acquired. Now I just need to get some power convertors to deal with this hype!
Try Toshi Station (or Tosche Station) ... Just quit whining about it.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Apparently VII is Anti White?

Essentially some fans are pissed that this film has a black lead (co-lead?) actor being a focus for the film.
#JediPrivilege

OK, re: Han's line about it being real ... Awhile back I posted a series of posts theorizing Lucas's constant changes to the OT could be explained away as senile Han telling the stories of what had happened (the way he remembered it) ...

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Yeah, see!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.