DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

windom 06-09-15 01:51 PM

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fi

It's been reported that that C-3PO's red arm is just his first step in transitioning...

TGM 06-09-15 05:34 PM

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fi

Threepio is now known as K8T-LN J-NR

Rob V 06-09-15 05:53 PM

His cod piece will be black.

Shannon Nutt 06-10-15 10:50 AM

I'm sure Weird Al is working on "Red Left Hand" (to the Nick Cave song) as we speak.

Matt 06-11-15 10:41 AM

This is probably better-suited in the movie figures/collectibles thread, but since it was being discussed in here the other day. . .

EW.com EXCLUSIVE: Check out the first toys from Star Wars: The Force Awakens ...

HASBRO

Here’s one you can take home from the show floor. The first Hasbro action figure from The Force Awakens will be this 6-inch figure from the toy manufacturer’s Black Series of collectibles. As part of a Comic-Con exclusive, the packaging will be unique to the San Diego gathering, and only a limited number will be available for sale afterward via HasbroToyShop.com. It’s recommended for ages 4 and up, with a pricetag of $24.99.

http://i.imgur.com/x0eJGni.jpg

Sounds like SDCC will be our first official look at The Force Awakens toys.

Mike86 06-11-15 10:44 AM

I'll probably try to snag one of those online. Looks pretty cool.

Timber 06-11-15 10:46 AM

The "Black" Series? Really? That's what they're calling the Finn StormTrooper?

Matt 06-11-15 10:52 AM

That would be pretty cool if Finn was under that bucket.

candyrocket786 06-11-15 11:24 AM

I'll wait for Hot Toys to release their version.

That Black Series crap is overpriced for a 6 inch figure.

Mike86 06-11-15 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 12505786)
I'll wait for Hot Toys to release their version.

That Black Series crap is overpriced for a 6 inch figure.

The price of six inch figures in general is ridiculous now days. I remember as a kid getting them for like $6 or $7 and getting two or three at a time. Now they're more like $20 or higher.

joe_b 06-12-15 08:59 AM

Some alleged details about the scoring sessions currently taking place:

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/06/de...awakens-score/

- "Bill Ross is indeed conducting cues for John Williams, according to various sources of ours (and elsewhere). The previous rumors are indeed correct. It is important to note that while Ross is conducting, Williams wrote the vast majority of the music and is conducting the crucial sequences himself."

- "One notable piece that everyone brings up is a jazzy swing/big band number that is supposedly really catchy."

- "Marches have been recorded but so far there is no “Imperial March,” but the “First Order March” is very much the “thing” they are recording."

- "There is also a piece mentioned by multiple sources that is described as a cantilena, an operatic piece, with sustained lyrics dragged out over the melody. This piece is described as one of the most beautiful and emotional pieces of music John Williams have ever written for a Star Wars film and appears to be tied to the snow planet."

And a big clue about a certain character:

Spoiler:
- "What has been described as Rey’s introduction leitmotif was said to be Anakin’s Theme from The Phantom Menace meets Leia’s Theme from A New Hope."

In other news, some guy who is part of a group building a replica of the Millennium Falcon claims that Greg Grunberg stopped by for a visit at a convention and revealed that his character spends "signficant time in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon in Episode VII". This info starts at the 36:20 mark:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kXrvYRfFiAU?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Significant time? I hope this guy was just reading too much into Grunberg's comments. Greg may have very well hung around the cockpit set for weeks, but would Abrams write a part that allows his BFF to possibly pilot (or co-pilot) the goddamn Falcon? That's a bit lame... and it would probably take me right out of the movie.

dhmac 06-14-15 11:15 AM

Chris Stuckmann has uploaded the 2nd retro review previous Star Wars films leading up to the release of Episode VII

This time it's a review of Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NHdcd8BHsnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(I like the George Lucas casting bit in this one)

(link to post of his previous review of Episode I)

joe_b 06-14-15 05:53 PM

Fun fact: Frank Marshall revealed to SlashFilm that Colin Trevorrow was hired to direct "Jurassic World" after Brad Bird suggested him to Kathleen Kennedy to do prep work on Episode VII while Bird finished up "Tomorrowland". Colin would have acted as his surrogate during pre-production and then Brad would have jumped into the director's chair for principal photography. Of course, nobody was willing to sign off on that plan. Still, Marshall watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" and got Colin a meeting with Spielberg for JP4.

While that certainly worked out for Trevorrow, I wonder if Bird feels a tinge of regret for not jumping ship on "Tomorrowland". It sounds as though the studio would have allowed this, but he didn't feel it was right to bail once Clooney had signed on -- fearing the movie might never get made if it was delayed. I know he was committed to it, but he must be disappointed by the poor critical and commercial performance of that flick.

Mike86 06-14-15 05:59 PM

I would think it would be hard for most directors to turn down a Star Wars film, but Bird does a lot with Disney and I'm sure the cards aren't off the table for him to do a later entry. I kind of respect him for not bailing on Tomorrowland too. It wasn't the best film but it was enjoyable and its cool that he saw it through rather than going to something with bigger name value.

joe_b 06-14-15 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12508216)
I would think it would be hard for most directors to turn down a Star Wars film, but Bird does a lot with Disney and I'm sure the cards aren't off the table for him to do a later entry.

True, but he doesn't come off as very enthused when asked about it in interviews. It seems his major attraction to the project was laying the groundwork for the new trilogy. Now that it's been handled by someone else, the prospect may not be as exciting for him:

"I was particularly attracted to the idea of picking up and-J.J. got very excited about the notion of shaping the next trilogy, and that idea was interesting to me too."

http://movieweb.com/star-wars-director-brad-bird/

milo bloom 06-15-15 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12506573)

Significant time? I hope this guy was just reading too much into Grunberg's comments. Greg may have very well hung around the cockpit set for weeks, but would Abrams write a part that allows his BFF to possibly pilot (or co-pilot) the goddamn Falcon? That's a bit lame... and it would probably take me right out of the movie.

Spoiler:

Maybe a Rebel/Resistance mechanic who has spent years keeping the Falcon in flying shape and has become a secondary co-pilot/flight engineer?

joe_b 06-15-15 08:33 PM

First photo of Carrie Fisher in costume has leaked:

Spoiler:
http://i2.wp.com/images.ikwiz.com/fi...size=600%2C357

Why did they dye her real hair a lighter color when the extensions appear dark brown? That can't just be the lighting. Hopefully this was only a test shot. Otherwise, I dig the costume.

TGM 06-15-15 08:37 PM

"Just stand casual, Carrie."

"I am."

Shazam 06-15-15 11:38 PM

Where's the coke?

windom 06-16-15 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 12509638)
First photo of Carrie Fisher in costume has leaked:

I'm waiting for someone to photoshop a walker into those pictures...and I don't mean an AT-AT.

TomOpus 06-16-15 03:49 AM

I miss her buns.

mcnabb 06-16-15 06:00 AM

The Princess Leia character is the only OT character they are bringing back for The ST that really scares me because I just don't know if it will taint her character forever. It really has nothing to do with the fact that she is 60 years old, because nobody is expecting her to look like she did in ROTJ. Its just that dopey thing she does with her lips in EVERY picture I see of her in the past few years. What made Leia great was she was feisty and sort of bitchy, but I don't know how that will translate now as I almost fear she will come off as boring as Padme was if she is just a Senator.

When The Big 3 were originally announced to be in Episode 7, I wanted them to have big parts but the more I think about it I hope their roles are limited at this point. Han & Leia had a distinct personality and chemistry in the OT, and I just don't know how that play's in the new movies? I think Luke will be fine because nothing changes with an older Jedi as he can still be a badass. Hopefully JJ takes the 'less is more' approach with the OT characters at this point.

Solid Snake 06-16-15 10:24 AM

Ford and Hamill will do fine. Fisher worries me though.

joe_b 06-16-15 12:48 PM

I realize that photo does little to sway the doubters. Leia is my favorite Star Wars character, but I never expected Fisher to be able to recapture her as well as Ford and Hamill probably could with Han and Luke. I respect that she got in better shape for the part, but the spark just isn't there anymore. Considering the issues she's struggled with for most of her life, it's understandable.

From what I've read, they're making Leia a lot more militant in The Force Awakens -- which may call for the character to have a harder edge. The Tantive IV trooper getup she's wearing appears to back this up. I also heard Carrie struggled a bit on set and questioned if she was still right for the role. She alluded to this at Celebration Anaheim, though that may have just been her self-deprecating sense of humor coming through.

Sean O'Hara 06-16-15 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12509651)
"Just stand casual, Carrie."

"I am."

Almost looks like she's posing for an action figure model, especially the way she has her right hand half clenched like you could stick a blaster or lightsaber in the grip.