DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

Double_Oh_7 11-01-12 11:23 AM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 11450200)
George Lucas confirmed Episode VII, and that it would be shot in 3D, back in March, 2011 :lol:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Drfpc1k3JcY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think he was being sarcastic when he answered "yeah", because he then said by then it will be holograms... i.e. it won't happen for a long time.

RocShemp 11-01-12 01:10 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...8stqo1_400.jpg

Strevlac 11-01-12 02:57 PM

Who is that?

Groucho 11-01-12 03:23 PM

M. Knight Shyamalan

Strevlac 11-01-12 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11450813)
M. Knight Shyamalan

:rimshot:

Is that JJ Abrams?

wishbone 11-01-12 03:37 PM

Beth

Strevlac 11-01-12 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone (Post 11450831)
Beth

:gah: That's it. I'm going home.

Sondheim 11-01-12 03:44 PM

Spoiler:
Tommy Wiseau (I think)

Terrell 11-01-12 03:59 PM

I still think this is fantastic news for the franchise. The alternative is a Star Wars that limped out on a really sour note. Now, there is a chance at redemption, and these sequels are most certainly going to be better than the prequels.

And for those who are down on Disney's involvement, what company would you rather have at the helm of future Star Wars? Clearly the current regime is out of touch, so if not Disney, then who?
Since I've been the most vocal critic, I'll answer that. You may have a point about Star Wars going out with a whimper, but here's a thought. What happens if the Disney films are bad as well? Then what? Nobody wants to even talk about that or even entertain the thought, and it's a real possibility. Some of you seem to have a forgone conclusion that this is going to turn out great just because Lucas isn't involved.

I'm not against this because of Disney. Hell, I'm huge fan of Disney, and if I had to trust any studio, it would be Disney. I'm against it because there's no point in any more Star Wars films. They are completely unnecessary, and this is simply a cash grab. I'm also against it because there's a real chance these films won't be worth a crap either. I'm almost certain they won't feel like Star Wars films. No 20th Century Fox, no John Williams, and little link to the original characters(I'm guessing). As for Williams, at 80 I can't imagine he would have any interest, having done 6 already.

People keep bringing up what they did with Iron or The Avengers. Those aren't Star Wars, and those films don't have an iconic series of films to live up to. So they can start fresh. Creating a great comic book film is a hell of a lot easier than creating another great Star Wars film. Anything they put out will be judged by the originals, and there is not a chance in hell they will live up to those, if for no other reason than we're older and far more cynical.

For what it's worth, I'll be there day one to see what they do and I hope they are great. I'm just not holding my breath.

Terrell 11-01-12 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11450448)
Well, it's not like Star Wars novels are known for their excellent writing. I mean, Kevin J. Anderson has written about 20,000 of them and he's a total hack.

Most of the EU material is crap.

WeylandYutani 11-01-12 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 11450788)
Who is that?

Seriously?

foofighters7 11-01-12 04:06 PM

'THE ROOM' People!

Strevlac 11-01-12 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani (Post 11450882)
Seriously?

Goddamnit. Yes. Seriously.

Jay G. 11-01-12 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Terrell (Post 11450867)
Since I've been the most vocal critic, I'll answer that. You may have a point about Star Wars going out with a whimper, but here's a thought. What happens if the Disney films are bad as well? Then what? Nobody wants to even talk about that or even entertain the thought, and it's a real possibility. Some of you seem to have a forgone conclusion that this is going to turn out great just because Lucas isn't involved.

If the new Star Wars are crap, then they add to the pile of crap Star Wars films that already exist. This is what people mean by "it can't get any worse." The series is already tarnished by a trilogy of poor movies, so another set of poor movies isn't really going to damage it any more.

In any case, it's not really Disney's fault that there's going to be more movies. If Lucas had sold it to any other studio, they would've made more movies as well. Hell, even if Lucas hadn't sold the company, they might've ended up making another film series, especially since Lucasfilm had treatments for Eps 7-9 before selling to Disney.

I'm against it because there's no point in any more Star Wars films. They are completely unnecessary, and this is simply a cash grab.

Every film is completely unnecessary, until it gets made. I'm sure there were plenty who thought that a sequel to The Godfather was unnecessary, until they saw the result. People were ready the bury the Star Trek film franchise after Nemesis, but the reboot won over a lot of people and revived the franchise. Many people thought that no other actor could possible play James Bond besides Sean Connery, yet 30 years later that franchise is still going.

The books, video games, TV show, etc. all show that there is a strong audience that wants more Star Wars.

I'm also against it because there's a real chance these films won't be worth a crap either.
That's true of any film or film series. Should studios give up on continuing a series just because the next one they make may be crap?

People keep bringing up what they did with Iron [Man] or The Avengers. Those aren't Star Wars, and those films don't have an iconic series of films to live up to. So they can start fresh.
Iron Man and the Avengers are both older than Star Wars, as they had a beloved series of comics to live up to. Granted, it might not have hurt their box office to much if they hadn't pleased comic book fans as well as the general audience, but they managed to do both.

What's more, The Avengers had to live up to the 5 films that came before it, combining all those film characters into one movie. It was an incredibly daunting task, and one that shouldn't be underestimated.

Anything they put out will be judged by the originals, and there is not a chance in hell they will live up to those, if for no other reason than we're older and far more cynical.
I think the cynicism got all used up on the prequels. At this point, if these films are even halfway competent and entertaining, they'll be seen as triumphs over the disaster that is the prequels.

Jay G. 11-01-12 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 11450894)
Goddamnit. Yes. Seriously [who is that?].

Sondheim had it right:

Originally Posted by Sondheim (Post 11450842)
Spoiler:
Tommy Wiseau (I think)

Strevlac 11-01-12 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sondheim (Post 11450842)
Spoiler:
Tommy Wiseau (I think)

Ok. I've never heard of him. Or The Room.

And that pick looks a lot like JJ Abrams in the face.

Shazam 11-01-12 04:25 PM

I thought it was Dracula.

CharlieK 11-01-12 04:27 PM

I'm not against this because of Disney. Hell, I'm huge fan of Disney, and if I had to trust any studio, it would be Disney. I'm against it because there's no point in any more Star Wars films. They are completely unnecessary, and this is simply a cash grab. I'm also against it because there's a real chance these films won't be worth a crap either. I'm almost certain they won't feel like Star Wars films. No 20th Century Fox, no John Williams, and little link to the original characters(I'm guessing). As for Williams, at 80 I can't imagine he would have any interest, having done 6 already.

What if you approached this news more from a James Bond perspective? I think they're every bit as iconic as SW and have suffered through some real clunkers, but it's now seeing a resurgence in creativity and popularity.

There's really no reason for 007 series to continue other to make money for the principals, but people enjoy the world they've created and keep going back. With this latest news, I'm seeing SW going down a similar path. I think it's pretty rich universe with a cast of characters and worlds that could tell many more, entertaining stories. With -hopefully - good people making them, I see no reason we can't enjoy going back every few years.

WeylandYutani 11-01-12 04:27 PM

Since I've been the most vocal critic, I'll answer that. You may have a point about Star Wars going out with a whimper, but here's a thought. What happens if the Disney films are bad as well? Then what?

Um, they'll make more movies?

Nobody wants to even talk about that or even entertain the thought, and it's a real possibility.
You must be blind. Plenty of people in this thread have posited the possibility that the new films could simply be John Carter all over again.

Some of you seem to have a forgone conclusion that this is going to turn out great just because Lucas isn't involved.
No one has said that this is guaranteed to be great. What most say is that this has a far better potential to be better than the fucking Prequels because Lucas isn't as involved. There is a difference.

I'm not against this because of Disney.
You're against it because you are the biggest George Lucas apologist on this board and have been for years.

I'm against it because there's no point in any more Star Wars films.
If George Lucas made an announcement out of the blue and proclaimed that he was personally going to write and direct Star Wars: Episodes VII, VIII and IX himself, you would not have one single complaint. You'd be over the goddamn fucking moon. Don't even think of denying that.

They are completely unnecessary, and this is simply a cash grab.
No shit.

I'm also against it because there's a real chance these films won't be worth a crap either.
We do not know who is writing these films. We do not know who will direct them. Your statement and train of thought is ridiculously premature.

I'm almost certain they won't feel like Star Wars films.
What the fuck makes you say this? How do you know??? Do you know something that no one else on this board does?

No 20th Century Fox, no John Williams
Okay it's out. You must have some kind of insider information that you are not sharing with the rest of us...

and little link to the original characters
You've read the script!!!!!!? Holy fuck.

As for Williams, at 80 I can't imagine he would have any interest, having done 6 already.
Williams isn't ready to retire any time soon. He has several movies lined up, I don't see why the fuck he would say no to Star Fuckin Wars.

People keep bringing up what they did with Iron or The Avengers. Those aren't Star Wars, and those films don't have an iconic series of films to live up to.
The Avengers was iconic years before Lucas even had the idea for Star Wars. Trust me, The Avengers had a LOT to live up to. Almost a half-century of hype.

Creating a great comic book film is a hell of a lot easier than creating another great Star Wars film.
I'd say they're about the same. A Star Wars movie is still just a movie. And The Avengers isn't just some throwaway comic-book property. Making it work was a fuck hell lot harder to do than making a good adaptation out of Men in Black, Blade, or even Batman and Superman.

Anything they put out will be judged by the originals
No shit.

and there is not a chance in hell they will live up to those,
They'd have a chance if Lucas were directing them and 20th Century FOX were releasing them, right?

if for no other reason than we're older and far more cynical.
Irrelevant. A good film is a good film is a good film is a good film.

For what it's worth
Very little by now.

I'll be there day one to see what they do
No shit.

and I hope they are great.
Could've fooled me. Most of your babblings since this huge announcement was made days ago says to me that you WANT these new movies to suck and fail simply because of the handover.

I'm just not holding my breath.
See you in line May 21st, 2015, bitch.

Dr. DVD 11-01-12 04:42 PM

Uhm...there are other movies being released before this you know. In fact, this week sees the release of both Wreck-It Ralph and Flight. Typically someone has posted a reviews thread for a major release as we head into a major movie season. Everyone is acting as if a major event occurred to that kicked everything else to the back burner.

BuckNaked2k 11-01-12 04:46 PM

How about this guy?:

DthRdrX 11-01-12 04:57 PM

Sure, episode 7 can be about the rebel alliances' new challenge of balancing the Death Star budget after the Emperor dies.

Shazam 11-01-12 05:40 PM

No way, it'd be about the contractors during the build of the Death Star and their challenges with obtaining purchase order numbers from the Empire.

Solid Snake 11-01-12 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 11450940)
Uhm...there are other movies being released before this you know. In fact, this week sees the release of both Wreck-It Ralph and Flight. Typically someone has posted a reviews thread for a major release as we head into a major movie season. Everyone is acting as if a major event occurred to that kicked everything else to the back burner.

Hrmm?

islandclaws 11-01-12 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 11451000)
No way, it'd be about the contractors during the build of the Death Star and their challenges with obtaining purchase order numbers from the Empire.

Maybe Episode VII will be a heavy drama, where we follow the broken lives of the families who lost their loved ones in the great Death Star explosion of whatever year that happened.